I was at Guitar Center, (Not looking to buy anything, just looking around because I was in the area) and I found a Used Epiphone Les Paul for an amazing deal, and I couldn't resist buying it. So I took a look at the serial number and it said it was made in China in 2006, and I've looked everywhere and that's about all the info I've been able to find, so any help would be appreciated

Here's a picture, and I can take more if any more are needed
Attachments:
Untitled.pdf
Guitars:
Squier Stratocaster
ESP LTD EX-50
Epiphone Les Paul Special II VS
Rogue RAG-R Acoustic

Likes 3mm picks

Literally the only person in the store who buys them

...not joking

"No Stairway! Denied!"
-Wayne Campbell
Last edited by p2pressselect at Jul 4, 2017,
The truss rod cover says "Special II". Assuming that is what it is, used examples seem to go for a bit less than $100 on eBay. I recently did a set up on a new LP Jr from the same series and was surprised at the good quality of the parts and workmanship, but I don't know if those older ones are the same. I didn't like the warm-sounding pickup, but I would have been happy to use it after a pickup swap.
Tony Done

Do you know anything about the price when it was released? All I can find on the Epiphone website about this guitar is on the page for the 2006 NAMM Show.

Thanks for the reply!
Guitars:
Squier Stratocaster
ESP LTD EX-50
Rogue RAG-R Acoustic

Likes 3mm picks

...not joking

"No Stairway! Denied!"
-Wayne Campbell
p2pressselect
I was also surprised by the workmanship. For the price I saw (79.99) I thought it would be a total piece of crap (in terms of sound, it looked great apart from a few dings and scratches) but I plugged it into an amp and it screamed, so after playing for a few minutes I bought it.
Guitars:
Squier Stratocaster
ESP LTD EX-50
Rogue RAG-R Acoustic

Likes 3mm picks

...not joking

"No Stairway! Denied!"
-Wayne Campbell
Its just a Special II with gold hardware from the looks. Stock it had ceramic humbuckers and cheapo tuners. Bolt on, basswood body and IIRC mahogany necks.

They were the cheapest LP in the lineup and they are similar to the Special VE line they have now. Pretty much in the same price range of like 200ish new maybe?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
H4T3BR33D3R

I agree that the tuners look cheap, with pressed metal covers, but the mechanical design was sturdy enough on the ones I looked at, and they worked smoothly. I would rather have them than cheap diecast tuners, where you can't see what is going one. - The ones on my Peavey look very pretty, but they have a lot of slop and feel like they are full of sand.

I don't know how much they cost originally, but the equivalent LP Jr is selling on special here in Oz for Oz$190, equivalent to about US$140.
http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Les-Paul-Special-II.aspx

These are beginners' guitars, sold by places like Walmart (around $200 with an amp, gig bag, picks, cable, strap, tuner and FREE ONLINE LESSONS!).
We call them "Christmas Guitars" because GC and Walmart and the rest sell them at nearly half off around that time.

If you assume that the brick and mortar is making 50% off that sell price, and that Epiphone (Gibson) corporate is making similar money at the wholesale level and that they had to ship it in from Indonesia, China or wherever and warehouse it, then ship it again, and that the original manufacturer had to make a profit on it and pay labor...what do you suppose the cost of the actual materials was?