Page 1 of 2
I recently went into my local Guitar Center on Thursday, June 29th to purchase a guitar but they had none in stock. Then, they tried ordering one from the warehouse to find that they too, had none. Eventually, they tracked one down in Maryland and had them hold it. I purchased it at my local store, and they said it would be here Monday, July 3rd, and of course when I went to pick it up, it wasn't there. They told me to come back on the 5th and assured me it would be there. On the 5th, it wasn't there and I asked "What's the deal?" and they responded that it would be here next Wednesday, the 12th when their next stock truck comes. I have no qualms about waiting another week, but this seems odd. Why wouldn't the Maryland store just Fed-Ex it here instead of shipping it through their warehouses and having it arrive at my local warehouse to be sent to my store. Maybe this is just the way they operate, but my brother, who has bought guitars from them for many years, said that this was very weird. I just wanted to ask if you think this is weird as well. If you have ever experience something similar, please share! 
Cost. I'm assuming it's cheaper for them to move their merchandise themselves through the pre scheduled routes by their own carriers. Also, its 4th of July weekend, hence extra delays.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
It's like if you had to go from one side of town to the other. You can either spend a lot of money by getting a cab to drive you or look at the bus routes and taking 2 or 3 connecting ones. Sure, the taxi gets you there faster but you'll save so much money by sharing the pre scheduled routes of the bus instead.

EDIT: I've never had something shipped in-store but have always been told it takes about a week to get stuff from the warehouse. Doubling that time sounds reasonable for it to get to and from it. If it's been a week already then the 12th sounds about right.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Jul 5, 2017,
If it's coming by stock truck and you're not paying for shipping, you'll just have to bite the bullet and wait.
Used gear is a different story -- you pay for the shipping (I always have them ship to the local GC rather than to my home) and you'll get a tracking number and a delivery date that's pretty ironclad.

I have them ship to the store (even the used stuff) and make sure that one of the employees (preferably a manager) is there for the unboxing. That way there's no argument about the condition of the box or the guitar before I leave the store. It made a difference in my most recent purchase, which arrived with a ding in the headstock that was due to shipping.
dspellman I have a shipping charge on my receipt, which is why my brother was skeptical. I may call tomorrow and Fridaday just to be sure it isn't there. I think if I'm paying for shipping, it should be coming via UPS or FedEx.
You should've just shipped to your house if you've paid for the s&h.

I can relate a lot of similar stories with people that asked something to be delivered for them in the store. A friend waited for a guitar from another store over two months or more and after complaining the manager finally upgraded him to slightly better model that the one he ordered. They gave him a discount as well.

I think you need to take that with management if they reneg one more time on the ETA they gave you.

Our old drummer used to get his cymbals shipped to the local GC all the time, and about 1 out of 3 times he had similar problems as you describe.

These are the wonders of our modern no inventory economy...learn to live with it
I was told that it was unable to be shipped to my home. If it's not here by next Wednesday I'm just going to either a) ask for my money back or b) ask for the 2017 model. If I am paying for the shipping, shouldn't it come from UPS and not on the warehouse truck?
Quote by tristanmurphy133
dspellman I have a shipping charge on my receipt, which is why my brother was skeptical. I may call tomorrow and Fridaday just to be sure it isn't there. I think if I'm paying for shipping, it should be coming via UPS or FedEx.

Guitar Center managers aren't the pointy end of anybody's spear. I once spent two and a half hours waiting for GC minions to find all the pieces that belonged to a Variax Acoustic 700. At one point, one of the hobbits suggested that he could *sell* me a missing cable. The manager arrived and saved his life. I realized I might be a bit low on sugar, so I went out, got a hamburger and came back and they were still looking for pieces. I think they thought that they could outlast me, that I'd just get disgusted and go away. I did get disgusted, but I didn't go away. When I volunteered to go into the back room and speed things up, it seemed to produce more scurrying and the rest of the bits and pieces.

When I've ordered a new piece that should be in stock, I've never been charged shipping if it came to the store. That happened with two JTV89F's, one year apart, because they normally don't stock them. Instead, they have them at a fulfillment center somewhere in KY or TN or some such. Except that they didn't have any at that fulfillment center yet, either. In the end, they had to order them from Line 6 in Calabasas (a relatively short drive away), have them sent to KY and then have them sent BACK to Pasadena, a round trip distance of 4,156 miles by Guitar Center reckoning, or 32 miles if they'd have somebody messenger it direct. And they wonder why the place is going broke.

Used gear gets charged shipping, not new stuff.
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 5, 2017,
dspellman it's a brand new Gibson. I just emailed customer support about it yesterday and I'm waiting to hear back. If this is what they are doing, it's a shame places like this will try and outlast you after you spend $1000 there.
Last edited by tristanmurphy133 at Jul 6, 2017,
I stopped dealing with GC used when my used ibanez prestige arrived with a JACKSON licensed trem in there. wtf. major pain in the ass. i was fighting with them for a week on it. fuck them. why did i even have to argue? that was shipped to store too. in front of an employee. I was assured that the guitar was stock when I ordered it from the GC it was shipped from.

reverb.com is what I do now.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
dspellman
it's a brand new Gibson. I just emailed customer support about it yesterday and I'm waiting to hear back. If this is what they are doing, it's a shame places like this will try and outlast you after you spend $1000 there.

They should reverse the shipping charges.
It's all about the other end of the shipment.  I have only ONCE had anything from GC shipped in a timely fashion.  They take their sweet time and make excuses.  I ALWAYS get my shipping back because they have guaranteed ships times.  I would also say that anytime I've ordered a used amp or cab, it arrived with some kind of issue (crack in wood, broken caster, blown tubes [3 times], etc).  If I ever have to have them fix a screw up with an order or with a return, it almost always takes at least an hour for them to figure out what to do, and almost always end up having to get a manager.

I really hate it, because they've basically cornered the market in my area for used gear.  I absolutely HATE dealing with them on every level.  In fact, one of the amps I brought back with a blown tube .... I had to fix it myself, on their bench, with their tools.  No one there at the time knew how to change one and get this one out (the glass was broken).  Sure I could have done it at home, but I wasn't going to use up one of my stock tubes fixing their mistake. 
I've only had quite pleasant experiences with GC shipping.

A few pedals showed up when they were supposed to.

My MIM strat was shipped to the store and opened there (the clerk had a great time with the peanuts) - it was in better condition than advertised and came with Schaller strap locks and the strap.

I'd buy from them again.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by Ippon
tristanmurphy133, take care of it now.  Don't postpone!  

Agree. You have no leverage once you take delivery.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I am actually very tired of waiting. Yesterday they called and told me my guitar was in the store and to come pick it up after 12:30, but when I got there, of course it WASN'T there. I am very frustrated with this whole experience, plus now finding out they charged me for something I was entitled to for free makes me even more annoyed.
trashedlostfdup I would have shopped locally or on Reverb, but I got a killer deal on this Gibson SG that I couldn't pass up. After all was said and done, I only payed $504 out the door with a 15% discount and about an hour and a half worth of haggling.
trashedlostfdup I would have shopped locally or on Reverb, but I got a killer deal on this Gibson SG that I couldn't pass up. After all was said and done, I only payed $504 out the door with a 15% discount and about an hour and a half worth of haggling.

i get stupid lucky on reverb all the time. seems like you caught a nice deal though
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^ if he ever gets it...give them some time to realize that they messed up, it might even be the sales tactic...how about we upgrade you to this $1300 instead? You pay the difference
It's an old car sales move, it worked on my parents.
diabolical I will not be upgrading. I'll just go in and ask for my money back if it's not here by Wednesday and order from a smaller store for around the same price or a little more.

Hopefully not from the same Guitar Center. If you bought it there, you just rewarded their "incompetence" (or were the victim of an extended bait and switch).
diabolical noted that it was an old car dealer move; they allow you to place an order ("we'll need a good faith deposit, of course") for a car that isn't in stock. They never order the car. Eventually you tire of the whole thing and buy a car they have in inventory. In my experience there's *always* a 15% discount to be had (give or take a week) and I can usually count on 20% at my local, if only because I've done a couple of modest ticket items there in the past. "Haggling" usually consists of my leaning in the office door of the store manager and saying something like, "You've got a _______ on the floor that's been there five months. If you give me 20% on it, you can get some new stock..." If it flies, fine. If not, I'm pretty much immediately out the door. He knows that if the price isn't right and I need it now, I can have it in a couple of days from Amazon or another online source.
dspellmanI talked it over with my dad, who sold cars for 40 years, and he says it sounds like a bait and switch. Like they would have me pay for it and it would never come in and just have me upgrade to a different one. I'm going to the store on Monday, and if it is not there that day, I will be asking for my money back.
dspellmanI talked it over with my dad, who sold cars for 40 years, and he says it sounds like a bait and switch. Like they would have me pay for it and it would never come in and just have me upgrade to a different one. I'm going to the store on Monday, and if it is not there that day, I will be asking for my money back.

Your dad likely knows every trick in the book. Since it sounds like he no longer sells cars, I have to tell you that I *hate* car dealers and I have no idea why the way they do business has become a tradition. It's like encyclopedia salesmen used to be (no longer available), or Kirby vacuum salesmen are now. Or the guys that want to upgrade your central home aircon, or the people that want to sell you timeshares (or points, or whatever the hell they're doing now). My wife is pretty naive about this stuff, so I've let her experience it. We finally managed to sell off the time share (getting rid of it is WAY tougher than getting into one), she's discovered that the Kirby is *way* too heavy for her to carry up and down stairs (helluva vacuum cleaner, however -- it will suck the subfloor through the carpet) and that the much cheaper but less capable Oreck works just fine -- and we really should get someone out to look at the aircon; we're sweltering in 100 degree heat.
Update. I just called and they said they have no shipping info on my guitar. I am going in on Monday and asking for a full refund. I believe I have been had.
Why are you paying shipping and having so much trouble buying a new guitar?  Go online to Musician's Friend and get it delivered instantly with free shipping.  Even ordering off the GC web site should do the same.  Sweetwater is another good source.  Ordering from a store is only for used stuff.
fly135 I do not know why I'm being charged shipping. They have no problems accepting my money, but apparently they have a problem presenting what I paid for. I considered Sweetwater, but like previously mentioned I got such a good deal on this one that I pulled the trigger. After this ordeal, I will certainly not be buying from Guitar Center again.
I considered Sweetwater, but like previously mentioned I got such a good deal on this one that I pulled the trigger. After this ordeal, I will certainly not be buying from Guitar Center again.

Sometimes paying more for a given item and avoiding the hassle is worth it. I've had similar experiences with my local Guitar Center, so the ONLY items I purchase from them are strings. Even then, I only do so for emergencies when I forget to add a bulk pack to my Amazon shopping cart! 

Some have mentioned that using GC is only good for finding used gear. After my experiences, I'd much rather use Reverb. There, I found a mint condition Jackson PDXT for only $400. They retail for $650! With the money I saved, I ended up buying new pickups for it. Hassle free! 
My crap:

Guitars
Jackson RR3T Limited Edition with Seymour Duncan Blackouts (MIJ)
Jackson JS1-X Rhoads
Jackson PDXT with Seymour Duncan Black Winters
Dean Vendetta XM

Amps
Peavey 6505 MH
Carvin 1X12 Cab

Pedals
Boss TU-3 Tuner
Boss NS-2 Noise Gate
Boss DD-7 Delay
All right. So today on the 9th, I went in and asked if my guitar was there. They went back and "looked" to see if it was there they came back and told me it wasn't so I asked for a refund, but then they said let them go look one more time, and what comes through the door but my guitar. I didn't make a hassle about it in the store, but when I got home I looked at the shipping label and found my UPS tracking number. I accessed UPS tracking and learned that my guitar was delivered on July 6th, the very day I walked in to pick it up and they told me it wasn't there. I think they were trying to either upsell me, or they were just messing with me for being a difficult customer, but as soon as I said the word refund my guitar materialized. I am very upset about this experience, and we'll be sure never to buy from Guitar Center again.
I've had nothing but satisfactory service from my 2 closest GCs.

Seems like some locales are much shadier than others.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Ippon
Fortunately, all of my Used GC purchases have been uneventful.

*Somebody* has to be on the upper side of the bell curve
All right. So today on the 9th, I went in and asked if my guitar was there. They went back and "looked" to see if it was there they came back and told me it wasn't so I asked for a refund, but then they said let them go look one more time, and what comes through the door but my guitar. I didn't make a hassle about it in the store, but when I got home I looked at the shipping label and found my UPS tracking number. I accessed UPS tracking and learned that my guitar was delivered on July 6th, the very day I walked in to pick it up and they told me it wasn't there. I think they were trying to either upsell me, or they were just messing with me for being a difficult customer, but as soon as I said the word refund my guitar materialized. I am very upset about this experience, and we'll be sure never to buy from Guitar Center again.

Could have been many reason's.  My first guess is incompetence, which I regularly find with them.  I worked in cars sales in between college degrees and worked retail through colleges, I can tell that most of the time the employees are talking out of their asses, and have little clue what they're doing or about the products they sell.  There are of course exceptions to every rule and sometimes find a diamond in the rough.

For future reference, Sweetwater will often match advertised prices (or at least give you a discount if they can't match it).  I have called Sweetwater on more than one occasion for this.
Last edited by Xander_X at Jul 10, 2017,
I doubt that they were messing with you for being a difficult customer, most likely trying to upsell you. I'd write a complaint to corporate on this, as it seems someone at the local store wasn't doing their job right.
I waited for 3 weeks to get a rackmount case for my GK head I used to have. 
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Page 1 of 2