How do I make my bass amp sound less muddy? Muddy meaning I can't hear any of the notes in the low end. I tweaked the knobs to get a clear vintage sound but trying to put a pedal with it sounds like quicksand (not in a good way).  
 My friend said a tube amp solved that problem for him. 
Could I buy a tube amp head and use the same cab? 
The head I have now is a Peavey Basic 112. 
I really like the tone at teh beginning of this song: 

Heres his gear: 
http://www.metalsucks.net/2012/11/09/rigged-war-from-a-harlots-mouth-guitarist-simon-hawemann/
I'm on a student budget, so I'm hungry and not buying underwear to save up for a decent rig. 
Wrong tool for the job. Get a guitar amp / speaker.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
My last amp was a guitar amp and it had the same problem. I thought if I got a bass amp, it could handle the low end better. 
Quote by Kunt_Rocket
My last amp was a guitar amp and it had the same problem. I thought if I got a bass amp, it could handle the low end better. 

1. You don't have enough power to reproduce bottom end at the same volume as mids.
2. That speaker is never going to reproduce much above 1000Hz with any clarity
3. That speaker can't move enough air (*and* it doesn't have enough power) to produce bottom end.

I use a speaker cabinet that has a 15" LF driver, a 6.5" mids driver and a 1" tweeter. It was originally designed as a bass cabinet, but it's full-range and could easily be used as a PA speaker. it handles a LOT of power so that it can do a great job of low end. But it was about $1100.

If you talk to Carvin, they'll sell you an LS153 800W 15" (plus 6.5" mids driver plus 1" tweeter) based speaker cabinet for $279. https://carvinaudio.com/collections/ls-series-active-passive-monitors-mains-and-subwoofers/products/ls153-800w-15-inch-3-way-main-monitor

Buy this power amp for $279: https://carvinaudio.com/products/dcm1000l-ultra-light-linear-1000w-power-amp and it will give you 650W (bridged/mono) into that speaker (at 8 ohms). If you ever need more, add another of the same speakers and you'll have over 1000W (bridged/mono) into the pair.

You're going to want *some* kind of preamp, so I'd suggest a pedal-type modeler (Pod XT Live, etc.), usually available for about $125 if you look hard.

You can use that speaker cabinet as a floor monitor (tilted) or you can stand it up or you can put it up on a stand (like a PA speaker). The stand mounts are built in. And you will NOT have trouble with muddiness or with being heard or with the reproduction of bottom end, etc., etc.
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 6, 2017,
Quote by Kunt_Rocket

I'm on a student budget, so I'm hungry and not buying underwear to save up for a decent rig. 

Just be careful which pantsleg the boys slide into. You can hurt yourself.
Quote by dspellman
1. You don't have enough power to reproduce bottom end at the same volume as mids.
3. That speaker can't move enough air (*and* it doesn't have enough power) to produce bottom end.

I use a speaker cabinet that has a 15" LF driver, a 6.5" mids driver and a 1" tweeter. It was originally designed as a bass cabinet, but it's full-range and could easily be used as a PA speaker. it handles a LOT of power so that it can do a great job of low end. But it was about $1100.

If you talk to Carvin, they'll sell you an LS153 800W 15"  (plus 6.5" mids driver plus 1" tweeter) based speaker cabinet for $279. https://carvinaudio.com/collections/ls-series-active-passive-monitors-mains-and-subwoofers/products/ls153-800w-15-inch-3-way-main-monitor

Buy this power amp for $279: https://carvinaudio.com/products/dcm1000l-ultra-light-linear-1000w-power-amp and it will give you 650W (bridged/mono) into that speaker (at 8 ohms). If you ever need more, add another of the same speakers and you'll have over 1000W (bridged/mono) into the pair.

You're going to want *some* kind of preamp, so I'd suggest a pedal-type modeler (Pod XT Live, etc.), usually available for about $125 if you look hard.

You can use that speaker cabinet as a floor monitor (tilted) or you can stand it up or you can put it up on a stand (like a PA speaker). The stand mounts are built in. And you will NOT have trouble with muddiness or with being heard or with the reproduction of bottom end, etc., etc.

Thank you!!! 
Quote by dspellman

If you talk to Carvin, they'll sell you an LS153 800W 15" (plus 6.5" mids driver plus 1" tweeter) based speaker cabinet for $279. https://carvinaudio.com/collections/ls-series-active-passive-monitors-mains-and-subwoofers/products/ls153-800w-15-inch-3-way-main-monitor

Huh? He has a simple gear issue and you're recommending 15" speakers and modelers? I think if he has a decent guitar and amp he'll be good to go, without needing a complex full range cab, power amp and modeler.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Quote by 8Len8
Huh? He has a simple gear issue and you're recommending 15" speakers and modelers? I think if he has a decent guitar and amp he'll be good to go, without needing a complex full range cab, power amp and modeler.

I have no idea what you're talking about..."complex?"

*I* think the simple-minded approach begins to lose relevance when you "can't hear notes in the low end."
He's really interested in HEARING those notes in the low end, which is why he tried a bass amp in the first place.

There's nothing "complex" about a full range cab. At $349 (he missed the $279 July 4th price, but it'll probably be back around again), it's cheaper and smaller and has fewer speakers in it than any 4x12, and it will handle 800watts. It has corner cuts to allow you to use it at a couple of angles as a floor monitor, it can be used standing, and it can be mounted on a pole. It's 27" x 18" x 16", which is half the size of a 4x12, and it weighs 40 pounds, which is half the weight. It will reproduce down to 68Hz with clarity (plus or minus 3 dB). But just like the 4x12 (which has *four* speakers) or even a 1x12, you plug it in and it makes noise.

He's already got a head and a cab, and that doesn't seem to be "too complicated" for him. I'm not sure what you consider a "decent" amp, but 50W is not going to reproduce bottom end, and the $349 (he missed the $279 on that one, too) lightweight power amp will give him at least 650W to get the job done. That's no more complicated than what he has now, is it? And at 9 pounds or so, it'll be a whole lot lighter than dragging 50-100W of tube amp around.

And finally, he was having issues with putting pedals into his amp and getting it to sound good. A used Pod XT will offer him a jillion FX, and will run about $125. He was going to have at least one pedal anyway. This one's a bit bigger and a whole helluva lot more capable and he can play with amp and cabinet and pedal sounds for weeks.

So in the end, no more "complex" than his current setup. Same number of cables, same amount of pieces, and the sale will come around again or the individual pieces will surface used on craigslist or eBay or the used section of the Guitar Center website (they just sold off a used LS153). Since the LS153 and the power amp are pro audio pieces, they usually show up as PA stuff with people grumbling that they aren't going to ship anything; you have to pick it up locally.

Complex? Head + Cab + Pedal or PowerAmp + Cab + Pod. Seriously?
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 7, 2017,
From what I read teh guy from Harlot uses a POD setup, and one of the old ones if not mistaken. I guess get the same thing and some kind of a PA setup, that bass amp is not cutting it, and it is a bad one, our bassist has it and we're all eagerly waiting for the day that he'll dump it.
Recommended threads
AB Box
theogonia777
Last post:
by theogonia777
PA Help
gurg06
Last post:
by dspellman