Hi there, I went on a website and was advised to get the new Marshall CODE amp. The CODE50 version.

This was to be in series with my Alnico Seymour Duncan II Pros for my Les Paul.

However, after looking at videos of this amp and reading all the comments and reviews I have decided that it's maybe not such a good idea.

I am a massive fan of Marshall and currently own a MG10CF, but this is a very low standard amp and the tone isn't quite how I want it to be. I'm looking for an upgrade. I mostly play rock, like Guns N Roses, AC/DC but I also tend to lerp to Lynard Skynard and Eric Johnson. What would be the best amp for this? Preferably a Marshall amp but I would suppose that any is fine, though I'm not a huge fan of Orange.

Thank you

EDIT: Should also mention that I currently have a budget of £150 but I will happily go up to £300 if necessary.
Last edited by craftcreeperdev at Jul 6, 2017,
What is your budget?

It isn't until you can afford at least the DSL40c that Marshalls are worth looking at imo.

If you can't afford one of those, look into Jet City. They're Soldano-type amps that don't have particularly good clean channels, but they do some genuinely really good crunch and hard rock tones.

EDIT: Only £300? You might be able to get a used DSL40 at that budget.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
T00DEEPBLUE I could probably go for a DSL40c. £500 is certainly affordable but not much preferred.

I haven't heard of Jet City if I'm honest. Could you give me a recommendation? (OP updated to include budget)
Your budget won't get you a Marshall worth getting. Jet City is a good bet for your budget.
Well Jet City is affordable in Europe. Peavey valveking perhaps used. You have to be realistic.
For Jet City take a look at JCA50 or the Custom 22. They aren't the most versatile amps in the world, but they do what they can do really well. Pick your poison
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Check out some of the used Laney tube amps. Many have that boosted Marshall type of tone.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
There's a whole world outside of Marshall's ... Besides with that budget any Marshall you'll get will be trash
craftcreeperdev
If you want the best i.e., tube-sound then get any one of these
1) Marshall DSL5C (This is 2nd best)
2) Blackstar HT5R
3) Hughes Kettner Tubemeister 5
4) Hughes Kettner Tubemeister 18 (This is the best amp)

If you don't want tube then get "Tech 21 Trademark 30" which is a pure analog solid state amp with tube amp like response.
Last edited by AniruddhaBiswas at Jul 9, 2017,
Quote by AniruddhaBiswas
T00DEEPBLUE
It's the height of foolishness to recommend Marshall DSL40C when the user is using Marshall MG10CF. Ha ha ha. Don't you have any idea about low watt tube amps? Never heard about DSL5C or Blackstar HT series or Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister. They are much better than your jetcity

I don't even own a jet city.

The DSL5c is far inferior sounding to the DSL40. And the Tubemeister and the Blackstar HT amps are not all-tube; they're hybrids.

Given you just made your account recently, I'm willing to bet money you're a multi as well as a terrible troll. 2 for the price of 1.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by AniruddhaBiswas
T00DEEPBLUE
It's the height of foolishness to recommend Marshall DSL40C when the user is using Marshall MG10CF. Ha ha ha. Don't you have any idea about low watt tube amps? Never heard about DSL5C or Blackstar HT series or Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister. They are much better than your jetcity

Are you an idiot or just an idiot pretending to be an idiot?
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AniruddhaBiswas
AcousticMirror
Marshall MG10CF is only 10 watts of solid-state power. Since he had a budget of 150-300 but didn't mentioned his main purpose (i.e., bedroom practice, garage band practice, small club gig, medium or big gig etc) I assumed he want's a bedroom/garage band practice amp. So I adviced him as such. For your kind information even an idiot who failed in 5th STD can say 40>5 & thus DSL40 much better than DSL5. See my friend sometimes people are so narrow minded that they just make some useless comment without understanding the whole scenario. Jet City is better than Blackstar. Hughes & Kettner is a German amp brand & have some nice innovations. Check out their Grandmaster 36, 1st ever "Programmable" All-Tube amp. Its a 4 channel amp with 7 tubes (Pre amp= 4x12EL84, Power amp = 3x12AX7). Its got somewhat Fender like clean, Marshall like crunch & Mesa like liquid distortion. A great choice for under 1000 bucks.

Let's play nice. You've managed to insult 2 of the most respected members here. You also make a lot of ASSumptions . You are entitled to your opinion but keep it civil.
T00DEEPBLUE
Your quote moved me. I am terribly sorry for acting like a atrocious jackass. I just forgot the fact that "Music is a wonderful journey" & behaved rudely with someone way ahead in that path, instead of learning something from him. I will never repeat the mistake again. Please forgive me if possible.
Last edited by AniruddhaBiswas at Jul 26, 2017,
monwobobbo
I am terribly sorry for acting like a atrocious jackass. I just forgot the fact that "Music is a wonderful journey" & behaved rudely with someone way ahead in that path, instead of learning something from him. I will never repeat the mistake again. Please forgive me if possible.
AcousticMirror
I am terribly sorry for acting like a atrocious jackass. I just forgot the fact that "Music is a wonderful journey" & behaved rudely with someone way ahead in that path, instead of learning something from him. I will never repeat the mistake again. Please forgive me if possible.
Quote by AniruddhaBiswas
monwobobbo

no problem there has been far worse here on the boards  .  just keep it civil and think before you post. in The Pit things can get really lax and insults fly often but here in the Gear sections we like to keep things friendly. we also don't want to discourage new posters. so it's all good