Hi guys, haven't posted in ages but I feel like I need some help.  I've been trying to choose a new amp as I have recently moved to Berlin with nothing but my guitar and pedals to continue my musical career.  I'm trying to choose an amp between 500 and 800 Euros (the cheaper the better so I can invest more in a good cab).  I play in a post-punk band.  I like guitar tones like Kevin Shields', J Mascis and Johnny Marr.

I'm very interested in the H&K Tubemeister 20 Deluxe.  The fact that it has an (apparently) very good cab simulated DI out means that I'd be able to record a lot at home.  From the samples I've heard I really like the tone but I'm not sure about the power.  It's only 20W which might not be enough to play with a very loud drummer.  But it does have the DI output which means it should be fine if there is a PA system.  I'm worried about cases when there isn't a PA I could plug into.

Has anyone tried this amp and, if so, what did you think of it?  And could you suggest a good cab (1x12) to go with it?  I'm also interested in any other options in the same price range.

Thank you
Are you ok with the fact that it's a hybrid?

I haven't tried the amp but it's a hybrid as far as I'm aware- some people care about that, some don't. Though if you need that DI thing then that's likely to cut down your options considerably, unfortunately.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've heard plenty of good things about the HK 20 especially regarding its versatility. (I personally was close to picking one up!)
It's a very apartment friendly amp due to its built in power soak so if you find yourself looking for something to use both at small venue gigs and at home it's certainly great. My one gripe with the amp was its shared EQ for both of its channels (thankfully it does have dedicated master volumes for each).

Great demo of the amp:
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]
MXR 10-Band EQ
Hey, sorry for the late reply.

Dave_MC it is a full tube amp, using 12AX7 and EL84.

What I'm  mostly worried about is the fact that it's only 20W.  It has an apparently good DI out (so I should be OK for gigs) but I was wondering if it's loud enough to practise with a loud drummer. 

I tried a tiny terror of orange and thought it sounded a lot better than the tubemeister 36.  The amp though has almost no features.  Is there a massive jump in tone quality from the tubemeister series to the deluxe 20/40?

thanks
Quote by isidril93

Dave_MC it is a full tube amp, using 12AX7 and EL84.

No, it isn't. Just because it has some preamp and power amp tubes doesn't mean all the amplification and distortion in the amp are created by them- it has some solid state stuff in there too (gain stages, possibly clipping diodes, possibly solid state PI? I'd need to see a schematic to be sure). If you don't care and only care how it sounds, that's fair enough and absolutely your prerogative, but that doesn't mean it's all-tube either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hmm ok.  I have only tried the tubemeister 36 which was good but the orange I tried blew it awqay, especially distortion wise.  But the latter didn't have am FX loop, no reverb and was only 15 watts so I'm not sure what to do. I'm waiting for the music store next to me to get the deluxe.
isidril93 

I've had a H&K St Dual El84 for a long time now, and I have no ambition to trade it for anything else. The clean channel is very bright and will go very loud for an (about) 18w amp. The "twang" button is nice if you want tele-like tones, and the external tube bias probe points and adjsutments are useful.  For example, I like it a lot more than my amp tech mate's Princeton. I only use the gain channel at low settings, where it has a nice thick gritty tone, but it sounds like a chainsaw if I turn it up, not my style at all.

Like Dave_Mc says, they have a lot of analog SS. I managed to get a schematic for mine, and the preamp seems to be a sort of SS-tube-SS sandwich. The  schematic is on two pages, and the whole of the first page is taken up with SS, the second page covers the pre and power tube sections. The fact that it is hybrid bothers me not in the least.
Last edited by Tony Done at Jul 20, 2017,
Quote by isidril93
hmm ok.  I have only tried the tubemeister 36 which was good but the orange I tried blew it awqay, especially distortion wise.  But the latter didn't have am FX loop, no reverb and was only 15 watts so I'm not sure what to do. I'm waiting for the music store next to me to get the deluxe.

one of the bigger oranges? dual terror i guess, if you can stretch to it. it doesn't seem to have a loop, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Actually the one I tried was the dual terror...but it doesn't have an effects loop and I quite like my delay and reverb pedals :/

Any other suggestions for amps in that range?  I will try out the H&K 20 deluxe but I'm open to any other suggestions.

The tone I'm looking for is a good clean with a fuzzy distortion (so 2 channels...though if it's a single channel I'd rather have a good clean and then use a distortion pedal).  I use single coils (my main guitar is a jazzmaster) and I like a nice, wide distortion.
Last edited by isidril93 at Jul 21, 2017,
I'm also looking at egnator which are meant to be quite good.  Has anyone tried them?
isidril93 have you looked at Laney?

https://www.thomann.de/de/laney_irt60h_ironheart.htm

https://www.thomann.de/de/laney_irt_studio_bundle_2.htm

Are you opposed to AC30 or AC15? That might be worth a look with more boost/overdrive?
I'm not really opposed to vox but I'm not crazy about them.  I like Laney though and will definitely look at them.  It's more of a bonus for me though if they have a DI out or maybe an option for different wattage as I like to record at home.  It seems to be a bit of a case of Tone vs Features :/ 
I haven't had any experiences with the deluxe line yet but I have owned an 18 and currently have the anniversary 36. The 18 I bought used and the guy I purchase it from had swapped the preamp tubes from stock the stock Chinese to Tung-Sols and I really like the tone and feel of the amp that I was getting when paired with an EVH 112. This got me curious about the 36 with the separate EQs and midi capabilities but the one I tried at a local store with the matching cab left me underwhelmed to say the least.

A few months past and the store got in one of the anniversary editions with the NOS Soviet power tubes so I decided to go try it again. Tried it out and found a much better response so I purchased it and immediately ordered up a set of Tung-Sols for the pre amp and a Sovtek LPS for the PI and BOOM. It was like a huge tone upgrade from the stock Chinese tubes from factory. If you were to go the H&K route I would seriously consider a retube of at least the preamp section if not the whole amp.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Quote by isidril93
Actually the one I tried was the dual terror...but it doesn't have an effects loop and I quite like my delay and reverb pedals :/

Any other suggestions for amps in that range?  I will try out the H&K 20 deluxe but I'm open to any other suggestions.

The tone I'm looking for is a good clean with a fuzzy distortion (so 2 channels...though if it's a single channel I'd rather have a good clean and then use a distortion pedal).  I use single coils (my main guitar is a jazzmaster) and I like a nice, wide distortion.

yeah. I mean, it's hard to advise you either way- if you know you love how the amp sounded i'm not sure anything else out there sounds exactly the same. on the other hand if you know you absolutely need a loop, buying an amp without one isn't the best plan either.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah I'm waiting for the deluxe 20 to arrive at the shop and I'll see from there.  Also looking into second hand stuff, maybe I'll find a bargain.
Granted i haven't used the Tubemeister recently enough to have perfect recall of the tone, but I always found H&K amps to have a really high Fidelity tone that I wouldn't associate with post punk, but if you dig the tone, it's a very unique thing.

If you wanted to catch a used bargain:

The Laneys suggested are good, but maybe a bit modern. the GH100 is killer and a good alternative to the much pricier JCM800 which would really nails your tone. But doesn't have the DI out AFAIK.

I might even suggest a JCM900 - Again it's not "full tube", but can be picked up second hand for a good price, and has a pretty good clean tone to put pedals through (James Dean Bradfield always coaxed great tones out of his)

The Hiwatt Higain would nail it too - but pricing is up and down all the time.

The Oranges mentioned as well are fantastic.

The issue is going to be those features on top of tone - which is why i can see you like the H&K. 
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
I tried the tubemeister deluxe and was quite disappointed.  I think I should just go for tone rather than features...people have been doing that for years and it seems to be the best option.

I'm going to look for a DSL40, vox AC30, fender bassbreaker, palmer fat 50, fender hot rod deluxe 3, egnater tweaker 40...along with any second hand ones that I find, such as the JCM range
I have the laney irt studio. And i absolutely love it. Has plenty of features and sounds great. I feel you should look into it.