Title of the thread pretty much sums it up... I want to learn music theory! But first, I need a book. I need something within the $20 range. I know something in that range won't probably be the greatest, but I just need something that will give me a good idea. Suggest away!

I thought about this one

https://creedbooks.com/products/the-practical-guide-to-modern-music-theory-for-guitarists-second-edition?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla

but not sure it will teach me how chord progressions work or how to tell what key I'm in.
The best beginner - intermediate book I've seen is called "inside the Music" by Dave Stewart.  You need to be able to read treble clef a little for some of this.

If you are still stuck in around 4 weeks time, send me a private message ... I have something that can help you, with no need for notation ... using our visual methods for explaining the tools of music, an 8 year old girl was playing triads of her choice from major scale in two different keys of her choice (on piano), in just over 6 minutes from knowing nothing about music, and never having touched a musical instrument.  She couldn't name them, didn't know any note names on piano ... but she understood how to build and play these.  6 minutes.

At  the minute we're stuck in a mire of back-end cloud-based infrastructure, EU VAT and Data Protection, software license management. online payments and other ... all unfortunate but necessary parts of getting our software and content out the door.
Last edited by jerrykramskoy at Jul 9, 2017,
The description of the book suggests that it may not be a good choice...

I checked out some "guitar theory" books in Google Books, and it seems like "guitar theory" books in general pretty much suck, at least for what you are looking for.

Check out the videos 7-9 in this series.

12tone tends to speak pretty fast so you may want to pause the video and try these things on your instrument. Also, if these things feel too overwhelming, start the series from the first video. The best way of learning about harmony is just to analyze what's happening in your favorite songs. 12tone also has a lot of chord analysis videos of popular songs so you may want to check some of those out too.

Maybe I'll write a lesson on this site about functional harmony and keys... The information overload in the internet (and not only in the internet) is pretty overwhelming and there's a lot of stuff that will just confuse you. This site has its own lessons, but the majority of them aren't that great (even if they have a relatively high rating), and with no knowledge of the concepts, you can't really know whether something is helpful or just misleading.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by jerrykramskoy

I must have a look at 12tone, and see what he/they are about.

What I like about the channel is that the "building blocks" series focuses on the very basics of music theory and doesn't start talking about too advanced stuff (like chord scales or whatever) too early (that is the problem with a lot of guitar oriented theory lessons). The channel has also videos about some more advanced theoretic concepts, but I think the main focus is on analyzing popular songs. I guess the channel could also focus on other things than just harmonic analysis, but I think that's a good starting point. And in general I think there is too little good quality analysis that focuses on popular music, so I think what 12tone is doing is great.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
MaggaraMarinejerrykramskoy

Thanks guys! I for sure check out that video series and go ahead and buy that book on the kindle. I actually went ahead and bought that book on the kindle the other day for $5. Not sure how much it will help, but its not like it was too awfully much. I know how to tell what key I'm in, but I want to dive into that even deeper. Any further info will be greatly appreciated.