Just curious if anyone has one of these, and if so why? What do you use it for? Is it worth the money?

Seems to be just a status symbol to show you've got money to spare. Seems almost zero reason to purchase any wearable tech right now.

Change my mind.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
my issue with apple watch is that most people were watches as a kinda unique jewellery item. all apple watches look the same, so you trade the coolness of being unique with your jewellery to having the same crap as everyone (currently an ugly chunk of lcd and plastic imo, I see they've tried to step up the look with more classic watch styles but they're still pretty gross to me). also I never quite liked how with apple (and now samsung) phones, you're forced to keep getting the latest one to fit in and I suspect if apple watches were more widely used it would be the case there too.

as far as the tech goes, it's a nice idea having wearable tech but feel like these things are still no real replacement for just taking your phone out of your pocket until we get some kind of super convenient ear or eye piece instead. apple watch specifically looks like up paying a whole bunch for a heartbeat/etc tracker that also doubles as a mediocre looking watch. I see on the apple website they are pretty much marketing it as a fitness tool rather than the "convenience" tech device that they were first marketed as.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
It's an Apple product, so of course it's overpriced.

It just seems like a limited functionality iPhone you can wear on your wrist as far as I can tell. I'd rather just have my watch and my phone be 2 separate items instead of a product that tries to do everything, but does it all half assed.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by theguitarist
my issue with apple watch is that most people were watches as a kinda unique jewellery item. all apple watches look the same, so you trade the coolness of being unique with your jewellery to having the same crap as everyone (currently an ugly chunk of lcd and plastic imo, I see they've tried to step up the look with more classic watch styles but they're still pretty gross to me). also I never quite liked how with apple (and now samsung) phones, you're forced to keep getting the latest one to fit in and I suspect if apple watches were more widely used it would be the case there too.

as far as the tech goes, it's a nice idea having wearable tech but feel like these things are still no real replacement for just taking your phone out of your pocket until we get some kind of super convenient ear or eye piece instead. apple watch specifically looks like up paying a whole bunch for a heartbeat/etc tracker that also doubles as a mediocre looking watch. I see on the apple website they are pretty much marketing it as a fitness tool rather than the "convenience" tech device that they were first marketed as.

It is honestly just one step too far in terms of tech for me. The fitness stuff seems useful if you're into that but why not just get a fitbit or something? Phones are already everywhere so if you really need access to your notifications just take it out your pocket. I'd probably use the feature to change music the most but honestly is that worth paying hundreds of pounds for? Not for me.

They are really ugly though. You can change the straps and some Android models are circular but the Apple Watch is an ugly generic rounded rectangle which completely destroys the fact that watches are cool little personality/fashion pieces to complement a look.

Smart mirrors are cool though.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I care about as much of a watch as I do a car. in highschool, (new mustang at time, 06 mustang) I drove a  moderately priced car my parents paid for, didn't really care, then I drove a 1400 car I paid for, oldsmobile cutless, didn't give a fuck, now I don't give a fuck  to own a car. 
In highschool I had a clicky clacky D cuff watch.

I do not give a flying fuck if you own a rolex,  but if you have a devil driver D cuff, I might let you fist bump me. 

Anything bought for social status loses it's appeal, unless you're an absolute selfindugent idiot.  You'll realize no one will like you honestly for the watch you wear or car you drive, but if you wanna be patrick bateman go ahead and give a shti. 

If you buy a digital watch insteal of analogue, whatever.   I think you wasted your money, but that's my opinion. 
Last edited by stratkat at Jul 7, 2017,
Everytime I think of Apple Watch I think of that story you told us about that one couple and it makes me laugh.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Everytime I think of Apple Watch I think of that story you told us about that one couple and it makes me laugh.

They're engaged now

IMO, a phone screen is about the lower limit for usefulness of a touch screen, so far as a 'general purpose' device goes. They're small enough to be convenient, large enough for a keyboard and a view of your input, and can change orientation at need. Watches are too small to be useful in that way, and they rely on a phone to actually do anything much.

IMO, wearable tech needs to have focus; the device needs to do one thing*, and it needs to do it very well. Smart watches are trying to do too much, and not really doing any of it better than a phone.

*OK, not exactly one, but you know what I mean. It needs to have definite purpose.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
IMO, a phone screen is about the lower limit for usefulness of a touch screen, so far as a 'general purpose' device goes. They're small enough to be convenient, large enough for a keyboard and a view of your input, and can change orientation at need. Watches are too small to be useful in that way, and they rely on a phone to actually do anything much.

IMO, wearable tech needs to have focus; the device needs to do one thing*, and it needs to do it very well. Smart watches are trying to do too much, and not really doing any of it better than a phone.

*OK, not exactly one, but you know what I mean. It needs to have definite purpose.

I think smart watches would be useful if they were cheap and had their current functions. Show the weather forecast, new stories, time zones, MAYBE notifications, but overall be very minimal devices and around the £50-£100 price range. Have a classic circular design and a high contrast monochrome screen (no need to have a ton of colours) and then you've got something I might buy. But for over £100 then definitely not.

I'm all for improved tech but eh, I couldn't give a toss. Sometimes it's just a bit pointless.

It's the same with dashboard in a car. I'm happy with basic CD/radio and air-con controls and a mechanical ignition that you turn a key in. I don't really see more buttons, touch screens, extra displays that tell you when to change gear for better fuel efficiency and a start button for the engine that just needs the key fob to be in the car as an improvement. To me it's just extra shit that can go wrong.

If I was going to spend that much money on a watch I'd just get a decent analogue watch where the most you'll have to do is change the battery every so often. Not a tiny computer that's worse than the other tiny computer in my pocket and will be outdated months after I buy it anyway. 
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
I have a "smart" fitness/GPS watch (Garmin fēnix 3), and I love it.

But I don't foresee myself needing the utility of an Apple Watch.
My God, it's full of stars!
I have a Samsung Gear S2 it was free in an offer with my Galaxy S8+, it is not the most attractive watch for sure but it is great for checking my step counterand other fitness stuff without having to pull my phone out of my pocket I can use it to set up fitness activities like running or walking for X amount of time.

It is handy for talking on the phone when I am driving again without having to handle my phone its workd well for answering some texts with preset answers suck as Yes No Maybe I'm Busy and crap like that for texting anything else I have to draw each letter of a word on the touch screen which is not really efficient.

Like I said it is most useful to me for the fitness aspect I do quite a bit of walking and it keeps track of my steps, people argue that the step counters are not accurate but so what at the very least having daily step count goals is a great way to motivate you to get moving, it also lets me know when I have been sitting at my desk for too long so I can get up and go for a short walk or stretch. My phone keeps track of all of my fitness stuff as well but the watch is way better for accessing it without having to pull my phone out. It also displays the weather and as a boatload of digintal watch faces so it can be changed.

I think it can play music and all of that crap but what is the point? Just to note I only upgrade my phone every 3 years maybe and have no desire to have the latest phone that came out my current phone is a S8 the previous was an S5
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jul 7, 2017,
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I think smart watches would be useful if they were cheap and had their current functions. Show the weather forecast, new stories, time zones, MAYBE notifications, but overall be very minimal devices and around the £50-£100 price range. Have a classic circular design and a high contrast monochrome screen (no need to have a ton of colours) and then you've got something I might buy. But for over £100 then definitely not.

My Samsung Gear S2 has a round face and looks niminally better than that square chunk of an apple watch. The face as a ring that rotates to switch between apps which can also be done by swiping the touchscreen.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by Evilnine
My Samsung Gear S2 has a round face and looks niminally better than that square chunk of an apple watch. The face as a ring that rotates to switch between apps which can also be done by swiping the touchscreen.

the gear s2 classic looks like a watch i'd want to own

Quote by EndTheRapture51
the gear s2 classic looks like a watch i'd want to own

Yeah and I agree with the price being stupid but the S2 classic it older and they had a deal to get it for $1 pus $10 for 24 months which I still turned down because I didn't want $20 tacked onto my bill for 2 years, but in order to get my wife and I to buy one they lowered my satellite bill by $20 for 24 months so I basiclly paid $2 for 2 watches those guys were adding together offers from AT&T and Samsung and giving us cases, screen protectors and extra chargers etc. I kept saying no and they would find a way to lower my bill until I agreed which is just proof to me that they charge to damn much to begin with.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by Evilnine
Yeah and I agree with the price being stupid but the S2 classic it older and they had a deal to get it for $1 pus $10 for 24 months which I still turned down because I didn't want $20 tacked onto my bill for 2 years, but in order to get my wife and I to buy one they lowered my satellite bill by $20 for 24 months so I basiclly paid $2 for 2 watches those guys were adding together offers from AT&T and Samsung and giving us cases, screen protectors and extra chargers etc. I kept saying no and they would find a way to lower my bill until I agreed which is just proof to me that they charge to damn much to begin with.

yeah i don't think anyone really goes out and decides "i need a new smartwatch" but if someone was like hey here's this one for £30 with your new phone i'd be like yeah why not

Quote by EndTheRapture51
yeah i don't think anyone really goes out and decides "i need a new smartwatch" but if someone was like hey here's this one for £30 with your new phone i'd be like yeah why not

Exactly, although I'm sure there are some serious tech nerds out there that said "I have to have a smartwatch" and used all of their vacation time to camp outside of an Apple store for 2 weeks
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Just curious if anyone has one of these, and if so why? What do you use it for? Is it worth the money?

Seems to be just a status symbol to show you've got money to spare. Seems almost zero reason to purchase any wearable tech right now.

Change my mind.

Until you can use one without actually having a phone in your pocket, it's pointless imo.  

For those who use it for fitness tracking/heart monitor  etc. I can see some value, but as far as the rest of it, it's a pointless extra product.  I mean how lazy are you that you can't just take your phone out of your pocket to check messages ? Maybe for those who bike long distances etc. but even there...

I don't have one and I don't understand the fascination with them. 
tumblr | twitter | instagram
Quote by Rossenrot
Aig91 Atomizes Rossenrot Before Offering Mercy In Exchange For Wholesale Genuflection
I think it has its functions.

Whenever I wanna play Minecraft on the bus I can use this desktop computer, mouse and keyboard I carry around to do so and it only takes 20 minutes to boot up. Plus I only need to insert like, 30 floppy disks every time.

This is the future, guys.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Duke Ellington

I'm sick and tired of people calling America the stupidest country in the world. I personally think Europe is the stupidest country.
I got in on the first generation of Android Wear watches before the Apple watch was around and wore it for one week before I figured out they were pointless
The only wearable tech I am even remotely interested in is a heartbeat monitor and I'm not gonna pay for an apple watch just for that
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

I don't see the appeal. My brother likes his watch though.

To be honest I don't see the point in most of the watches people wear though. They usually have a phone with them that tells them the time, but they pay a considerable amount of money for a watch that usually looks horrible.
apple watch is a waste of money 
the only people i see wearing one are the ones who like the look of it, not what it offers
the same people already are iphone owners ... 
you can switch out the wrist bands for different colors / glimmer --- i'm sold that its purely a fashion statement, and status symbol 
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

I quite like the idea of having one for its uses, but I like wearing a normal watch so I wouldn't buy one.
I have a smart watch/fitness band thingy, and I use it every day. I'll probably get an Apple Watch if thy drop in price. Will do the same thing and I can check my messages and pick music and stuff too. Too expensive for me right now though
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I've never understood the point. just pull yer phone out of your pocket you bozo
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hard sciences don't have correct and incorrect answers actually
Always seemed pointless to me. Smart phones do everything Apple Watches do and most likely better.