It looks everyone places an OD pedal (like the OD 808 or ST-9) between their guitar and the amp head, but I want to see if anyone says differently. Would anyone consider putting an OD pedal into the guitar effects loop, after the pre-amp on a tube head?

ps. application is for extreme metal, nothing else.
Not me.

It makes little sense to put it anywhere else. Overdrive pedals are designed specifically to drive the preamp harder. OD's are generally designed to accept an instrument level signal only, not line level like in an effects loop. A line level signal is just too hot and it causes the OD to go into hard clipping which sounds like ass.

Everybody recommends keeping them up front for a reason. They just sound better that way.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
^ Indeed. I tried that when I knew even less than I do now about amps. It sounded terrible, and not in an entertaining way.
I am a fake mountain.
just no. stick it out front.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
thanks. after watching some videos from Maxon, I learned what an OD pedal does to some extent. always before the pre-amp.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Overdrive pedals are designed specifically to drive the preamp harder.

well, i'm not sure about that, originally they were designed to sound like a tube amp's overdrive when plugged into a solid state amp i think, but other than that, I agree with you
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
well, i'm not sure about that, originally they were designed to sound like a tube amp's overdrive when plugged into a solid state amp i think, but other than that, I agree with you

Well I wasn't talking specifically about how OD's have been historically used. Just how they're used in the context of modern times.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Sure.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Sure.

The subtlety of your sarcasm is pretty great.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The subtlety of your sarcasm is pretty great.

Reminds me of that Simpsons one at hullabalooza:

"are you being sarcastic?"

"I don't even know any more"

I was actually being serious. I think.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?