Page 1 of 2
 So I'm a guy living in Sri Lanka. I'm looking to buy a new guitar preferably a double humbucker one. I'm looking for a versatile guitar which can play heavy modern metal but it needs to have a great clean tone too, with a price around 800 US dollars.
The only certified guitar dealer in my country (Which deals in Fender and Yamaha only) has only the Fender Standard Strat available in the store, so I could feel and play that guitar only. So I'd have to order a guitar online without actually getting the feel of the guitar or hearing their sounds

I have a varied music taste, but I mostly like modern metal. So my perfect distorted guitar sound would be clear in big chords as well, not just power chords. I also have a great interest in clean guitar music like a little bit of jazz and fingerstyle music so a clean tone fitting those is a must in my choice.

I've looked at guitars like the Chapman standard series, Fender Standard HH guitars and PRS SE series, especially the SE 24 Standard. Gibson guitars don't really seem to fit my tonal requirements, besides they're too expensive. Currently my mind is on the PRS SE 24 Standard because it's cheap but it also seems to have a great versatile sound as well. But I really want opinions on what to buy from what I've already checked out, a Fender Standard HH guitar or a PRS SE guitar? If you also have other suggestions, I ask that you give them to me cause I'm not that informed in other guitar brands like Ibanez, Jackson etc...
My current and first electric is a Yamaha pac012 which is a very cheap guitar which I've modified with heavy strings. My current amp is a Marshall mg30cfx.

Thanks.
the MIM Jacksons are Charvels are meant to be good (though I've only tried the earlier Japanese ones), but they might be over budget where you are.

I think the Fender only has 21 frets- a lot of people might not care about that, but I would. It's worth bearing in mind, at least.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
the MIM Jacksons are Charvels are meant to be good (though I've only tried the earlier Japanese ones), but they might be over budget where you are.

I think the Fender only has 21 frets- a lot of people might not care about that, but I would. It's worth bearing in mind, at least.

+1 on all accounts l.

can the dealer get Jackson and charvel? i like the hardtail so-cals a lit from charvel. the jackson dk2ht would be a way to go as well. about the same price iirc
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
trashedlostfdup I doubt they'd get dealers here since they're not famous like the really big brands. Do they have rich clean tone as well and not a bland one? Cause having the good clean tone is the most important to me I think, though I want it versatile nonetheless.
Quote by suchithald
trashedlostfdup I doubt they'd get dealers here since they're not famous like the really big brands. Do they have rich clean tone as well and not a bland one? Cause having the good clean tone is the most important to me I think, though I want it versatile nonetheless.

Jackson and charvel are owned by fender one way or the other. maybe they can bring them in?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Just wondering: have you seen/tried any of the small brands that don't typically get exported out of Asia, like Swing or Radix?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by suchithald

it depends on the particular guitar and what you mean by a "rich clean tone"- quite a few of those charvels and jacksons I mentioned have a duncan '59 neck pickup, which is very nice for clean tones (assuming you like humbucker clean tones). some of them have duncan distortions in the neck so I'd probably avoid those models (I've never actually tried a neck distortion, but i'm guessing its cleans aren't as good as a '59's). EDIT: also there seems to be the Jackson DK3 which is HSS, if you prefer single coil clean tones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 8, 2017,
Quote by suchithald
dannyalcatraz I haven't, their names ring a bell but I'm very unfamiliar with them

I know those 2 brands are at least worth looking at.

Also, seconding Dave's assessment of the Seymour Duncan 59. That's my favorite HB from that company.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Question, is the PRS SE Standard 24 a good choice? I've heard good things about it and it seems versatile.
PRS generally makes good guitars. The one knock I've heard is their pickups are kind of average.

dannyalcatraz I've heard that about the pickups which is why I'm hesitant. The PRS SE Mark Holcomb seems like a great guitar but it's a little bit too expensive
It's the same story with several modestly priced mid/high end US builders: they're making beautifully crafted instruments of high build quality, but not necessarily the best pickups. It helps keep the guitars affordable, and recognizes that many people swap pickups anyway. I mean, even some of the custom builders I know will have some rather ordinary and inexpensive* pickups as standard options.

* Not that price and quality are linearly linked. Some inexpensive pickups are quite good, and some expensive ones are merely overpriced.

Guitars all feel very different. Since you haven't had the chance to try many, Charvel would be playing it safe - great heavy metal guitars that feel a lot like a Fender.
dragonzrmetal I know which is one reason I'm hesitant to buy a PRS Standard 24 the wide thin gloss finish neck. I couldn't find just how wide and thick the neck was at certain points in the wide thin neck.
Edit: I looked at Charvels and the least priced one was above $800 and it didn't shine with me. The clean tone is very important to me as well and most Jackson or Charvel guitars seem to have mostly gain in mind.
Last edited by suchithald at Jul 10, 2017,
I've checked out some Schecter guitars and the C-1 classic and C-1 custom (i could only find videos of the earlier model which is 742) and both of these seem very promising. They have great dirty tones as well as nice clean tones like a PRS (what it seemed to me at least). The C-1 classic has some excellent reviews but it's $900, the C-1 custom is $800. I saw less prices in amazon like $770 for the c-1 classic which was said to be seller refurbished. The seller had said that it looks new and that their crew could not find anything wrong with it.
My first question is, having not played that refurbished guitar, is it worth buying a product like that?
My second question is, is buying either of those two Schecters a better choice than the PRS SE standard 24?
opinions are appreciated
How strange. I thought Charvel had great cleans - I've played the San Dimas - especially with the single coils. Oh well. Well, the thing is with PRS is that they tend to have small frets, so you feel a lot of the fretboard beneath your fingertips when you're playing. That doesn't work for me.

PRS and Schecter are quite different beasts. Both actually have similar neck profiles, about a C, relatively fat for metal guitars, quite a bit fatter than a Fender, but it depends what you like - I like a reasonably fat neck, it just isn't typical for metal. 

Schecter generally has a 25.5" scale length (from the nut to the bridge) and PRS has a weirdo 25" scale which actually feels quite good to play, apart from the small frets. So the Schecter might be a little bit better for down tuning because of that longer scale, but the difference is absolutely miniscule. The Fenders you've played would have been 25.5".

Kinda close to what DannyAlcatraz said, well, the Schecter guitars are geared towards metal and the PRS ones are very much not. That's not a problem, but you might find whatever pickups you get in the Schecter better suited to keep clarity under high gain. As long as they're branded like Seymour Duncan or similar, they'll be good for cleans too. That's also the reason for some design features, like the bigger frets on a Schecter.

If you have a preference between set neck and bolt-on, most Schecters are bolt-on and PRS set neck. Generally you get a nicer neck joint on the PRS, but it varies from Schecter to Schecter how they cut the neck joint, whether it's a big old block or if they carved it.
dragonzrmetal To be fair I only checked out one Charvel; the one that was closest to my budget limit.
The Schecter c-1 classic has a neck through body build. It also has Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz pickups and from what I've heard this guitar has good clarity in gain.
I have a preference to the bolt-on necks just cause they can be replaced if broken. 
I'm a bit confused on what you mean by 'feelinng a lot of the fretboard beneath your fingertips', could you explain that? Cause I really want to clear all that I can about the PRS guitar feel.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
It's the same story with several modestly priced mid/high end US builders: they're making beautifully crafted instruments of high build quality, but not necessarily the best pickups. It helps keep the guitars affordable, and recognizes that many people swap pickups anyway. I mean, even some of the custom builders I know will have some rather ordinary and inexpensive* pickups as standard options.

* Not that price and quality are linearly linked. Some inexpensive pickups are quite good, and some expensive ones are merely overpriced.

yeah. i don't like paying a lot for pickups I might swap anyway.. but at the same time it's very nice if the stock pickups are nice enough that you don't need to swap them straight off the bat, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What Yamaha options do you have? They make some nice guitars so don't over look them
Quote by suchithald
dragonzrmetal To be fair I only checked out one Charvel; the one that was closest to my budget limit.
The Schecter c-1 classic has a neck through body build. It also has Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz pickups and from what I've heard this guitar has good clarity in gain.
I have a preference to the bolt-on necks just cause they can be replaced if broken. 
I'm a bit confused on what you mean by 'feelinng a lot of the fretboard beneath your fingertips', could you explain that? Cause I really want to clear all that I can about the PRS guitar feel.

You should be able to find a Charvel/jackson with the JB/JM or JB/59 set just be aware the neck on the Schecter may be thicker than what you are used too they don't bother me but some are put off by them.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

monwobobbo Not a lot, Yamaha professional demo videos aren't very common so it's hard to get a good idea of the tones, and from the ones I've seen they don't seem to be the tones that I want
Evilnine I'll check out more Jacksons then. The Schecter one says that it has a thin c neck profile and I don't know how it compares to the fenders or the neck profile in my Yamaha Pacifica
suchithald The JB and Jazz are a great pickup set. I think you'd like them. Fair enough on the bolt-on vs set neck, I don't think that really matters though - it's not exactly common to break a guitar neck, and even if you did, it can usually be fixed, sometimes simply, and would probably cost more to replace than to repair anyway, if you could even find a replacement neck.

Well, on a Fender, the frets are very tall. That means when you press down on the strings, your fingers are quite far from the fingerboard, so you don't feel it. On a PRS, the frets are quite short, so when you fret a note, you feel the fingerboard. I don't like the feel of that, I feel it slows me down, which is why most metal guitars for fast riffing have jumbo size frets. There's exceptions to every rule though. There's plenty of metal guitarists that get by just fine on a PRS.

It does sound to me that the Schecter would be the better guitar out of those you've mentioned. As Evilnine said, the neck would be thicker than your Fenders, but still probably a tad thinner than the neck on a PRS.
dragonzrmetal Ah so you meant the height of the frets, thanks for explaining and letting me know.
Would you say that the wide thin neck is similar to a fender d neck in thickness? And when they say wide is it wider than a fender? Or maybe just wider then slim necks like in jacksons ibanezes? I'm asking cause I saw that the PRS SE Mark Tremonti is within my budget and I like the sound of it. If I'm buying a new Schecter it'd $100 over my budget sadly.
suchithald 
Both the SE Custom 24 you mentioned and the Tremonti have a "Wide thin" neck profile.
Width at the nut: 1 11/16" Depth at the nut:  25/32"

Fender D profile has 1 7/8″ width at the nut
Can't find spec on depth, you'll have to measure it yourself.

So the PRS is actually narrower across than a Fender D profile, if you're 100% sure a D is what you have - they're quite rare. 3/16" thinner.

If you can, see if the vender you buy from offers a return policy if you don't like the guitar. Lots of vendors offer that. It's a good idea with guitars. Hopefully you like it and keep it of course.
dragonzrmetalThank you, I doubt my yamaha has a fender d neck (the specs say a 13.75 inch radius but I'm not sure how that translates into width and depth but it's a bit more than a wide thin radius from what I've read) but I've played a friend's guitar which is the cheapest Gibson available and when asked he said that the neck profile was similar to a fender d. So I'm just trying to get an idea by comparing with what I've felt.
bro you want something with EMG 81/85 or 81/81 combo. look into LTD deluxe series -- perfect for your budget, and perfect for modern metal. also plenty others have those pickups too
It's all about feel
suchithald i guess if you insist on playing clean, you can get the emg setup with the 60 in the neck and 81 in the front. my 81/81 sound fine clean, not great, but good enough for my ears and my 6505. your amp will provide most of the tone anyway.
It's all about feel
Quote by suchithald
dragonzrmetalThank you, I doubt my yamaha has a fender d neck (the specs say a 13.75 inch radius but I'm not sure how that translates into width and depth but it's a bit more than a wide thin radius from what I've read) but I've played a friend's guitar which is the cheapest Gibson available and when asked he said that the neck profile was similar to a fender d. So I'm just trying to get an idea by comparing with what I've felt.

Radius has nothing to do with the width or thickness of the neck. It's just the curvature of the fretboard. A 13.75" radius is a standard radius for asian-sourced guitars. The published radius for most Gibson guitars is 12", and Fenders range from 7.5" (very curved) to 16" (pretty flat). The curvature of the fretboard has more to do with comfort playing chords or your ability to easily do bends, etc.

The whole business of wide-thin, etc., does little to tell you how the neck will feel or play. It's more important to know the depth of the neck (usually measured from the center of the fretboard at a particular fret to the back if the neck with a calipers) and the shape.

I've begun to do this with a contour gauge:

In the second photo, notice that the neck is a different thickess at the 6th fret than it is at the 1st fret. A lot of manufacturers will offer thickness at the first and 12th frets as an indicator of the "taper" of the neck. Some taper a lot from the first to the 12th frets, some very little or not at all.
Have you considered a Jackson Pro? I'm not sure if they're still MIJ but my Japanese is really top quality. The pickups are very versatile as well so you'd get both great clean and distorted tones out of it.
'07 Jackson Pro Dinky DK2M (MIJ)
Squier Strat SE
Marshall Valvestate VS15R practice amp
dspellman Thanks, I figured that the the radius meant the curvature but I don't know the depth of the neck of my Yamaha Pacifica and how it compares with wide thin. I didn't know that the wide thin is more curved than a Gibson neck.
andre.fontes.es Unfortunately, Jackson doesn't make anything (even their Pro series) in Japan anymore. They're all made in Indonesia which lately has had spotty quality from what I have read. I only own one Indonesian made Jackson and it's a great instrument, but I've heard problems of sharp frets, bad finishes, and even poorly cut nuts. 
My crap:

Guitars
Jackson RR3T Limited Edition with Seymour Duncan Blackouts (MIJ)
Jackson JS1-X Rhoads
Jackson PDXT with Seymour Duncan Black Winters
Dean Vendetta XM

Amps
Peavey 6505 MH
Carvin 1X12 Cab

Pedals
Boss TU-3 Tuner
Boss NS-2 Noise Gate
Boss DD-7 Delay
Page 1 of 2