Hey! Long-time electric player here. Living in an apartment, I kind of want an acoustic. I'm setting my budget at 1,000 but cheaper is always better. Since I'm coming from an electric, I'd prefer something slimmer, lower action, etc. I basically want something easy to play but sounds nice without the need of an amp. I was looking at hollow bodies, but ive got 3 electrics. Why not an acoustic? Plus I want to play some songs like wish you were here, those sound way better with an acoustic.

I've no clue about things to look for on these: features, good brands, etc. I did a browse on sweetwater and the PRS SE Angelus Alex Lifeson Thinline looked like it may be up my alley. But I'm needing suggestions. Any questions to help me narrow it down, just ask.

Thanks!
Cort KX1Q w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB
Fender Standard Stratocaster Plus Top - Aged Cherry Burst with Maple Fingerboard
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Florentine PRO Hollowbody - Faded Cherry Sunburst w/ Seymour Duncan SH-55's

Mesa Boogie Mark V 35 Head
Orange PPC112 - 60W 1x12" V30 Cabinet
Two Notes Torpedo Live
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Universal Power Supply

Boss TU3 Chromatic Tuner -> Whirlwind Red Box Compressor -> Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive -> Vick Audio '73 Ram's Head -> loop -> Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser -> Mooer Eleclady Flanger -> Strymon Flint Tremolo and Reverb -> MXR Carbon Copy Delay
I recently bought a Martin Dreadnought Junior Electric (DJRE) after doing a LOT of online research, and I'll tell ya, I could not be happier. It's action is basically the same as an electric, and the tone is outstanding. It's got a built-in Fishman Sonitone pickup, so you can plug it in to your amp if you want to...but you won't need to; this is one lively sounding guitar.  Being a 'Junior,' it's a little smaller than a regular dreadnought, but you most likely won't hear a difference, and the slightly smaller size makes it a joy to handle and transport. It's less than $1000 (by quite a bit), it's a Martin, and it's action is superb...In my opinion, you can't go wrong with this guitar.
Quote by thundermonty
....[ ]....Why not an acoustic? Plus I want to play some songs like wish you were here, those sound way better with an acoustic!....[ ]...
Well, don't shoot the messenger but, Pink Floyd songs like, "Wish You Were Here", and, "Comfortably Numb". sound better on the acoustic 12 string...

That said, before you spend a grand on an acoustic, I'd take the time to find out what makes one tick, so to speak. How to do a setup, how to evaluate the neck angle in relation to the saddle height. Electrics, being the stout lumber that they are, are quite a bit easier to find in good playing condition. or more likely to be easily put in good playing condition than an acoustic.

With those things said, one very, very popular acoustic would be the Taylor 114CE. It's a plug me in, has a cutaway, and a bolt on neck.

Being a lefty, I don't have the luxury of shopping around the way you might. So, hit a few guitar stores. That Taylor is a fairly commonly stocked item, so give it a shot while you're out there.

BTW, don't get your hope up too high on finding something which, "sounds great", and, "plays like an electric", that's asking more than you think. As for the Lifeson, thin bodies don't sound all that terribly good unplugged. They're actually more intended to be played standing up on stage, plugged in. Plus, PRS' reputation for acoustics isn't all that great, but you'll have to be the final judge of whatever you buy.
Breedlove, Yamaha, Takamine, Seagull all make legit acoustics for less than $1k.  Each has a little different character so get out and play a few.  See which one feels right.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Breedlove, Yamaha, Takamine, Seagull all make legit acoustics for less than $1k.  Each has a little different character so get out and play a few.  See which one feels right.

I came in here to suggest a Breedlove. Specifically this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/breedlove-stage-concert-ce-acoustic-electric-guitar
Small body, pretty low-profile neck, asymetrical headstock, pinless bridge, responds well to light playing--in short, it feels a lot like an electric. Sounds great. $850.

I've heard a lot of good things about the PRS SE Angelus guitars like the one OP is talking about, but I've never gotten to play one.
Death to Ovation haters!
Last edited by PatchworkMan at Jul 8, 2017,