Hi All,

I recently bought a Sparrow Primitive (ES 355 Clone) off Kijiji. The Guitar itself is very well built with Kent Armstrong pickups. The pickups seem a bit 'underwhelming' as I'm a hard rock guy and I don't really feel that 'bite' with the Kent Armstrong's. An acquaintance of mine wants to sell me either his Gibson Burstbucker 1&2 or his Burstbucker Pros. (Both the same price)

Is it worth it? And which ones should I get? I'm looking for a loud, aggressive pickup that would go well with a hollowbody guitar. (Think Alex Lifeson's 335 tone in the '70's)

Thanks in advance,

-Major Bludd
Well the burstbuckers are some of the worst pickups that exist. So I would look elsewhere.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
What's your budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I'd say around the $250 - $300 mark. And the pickups have to be chrome to go with the aesthetic of the guitar.
Of the pickups mentioned the burstbucker pro would be the better option because of the alnico 5 magnet.  A duncan 59 would be a better option and provide more bite.
Not taking any online orders.
Second time today I have to agree about the 59. That's my favorite Seymour Duncan HB.

You might also want to check out something from RailHammer. Their Chisel has a good bite and tone. They also make noiseless HB-sized P90'pikups (they call them "humcutters") you should consider. I'd recommend the Billy Corgan signature ones.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Aren't they a bitch to install on a hollowbody?

BTW the Pros have this weird 'Quick Connect' thing. Should I avoid them?

As you can tell, I don't know too much about pickups. I just want my 335 to roar
Pickups are more difficult to install on a hollow body because you have to pull the electronics out through the F hole and work on them outside the guitar.  The quick connect is something that doesn't fit all guitars.  If it doesn't fit yours you could alway cut the quick connect off so it isn't a big deal.
Not taking any online orders.
+1 with what Cord' says....

Other than that iirc, AL's white ES335 is a mid-late 70's model so that would be T-tops for pickups? His sig' model came 57's iirc. I would imagine that a big part of his roar would be tube amps cranked into power amp distortion.