Looking at selling my LTD EC1000 to upgrade to either a Gibson or PRS.  At first I really had my eye on the PRS Singlecut pre-lawsuit model or newer SC245, but then I ran into a Gibson Les Paul Studio Premium Plus in the guitar store yesterday and its making me reconsider a bit. The low end and "chug" of the Gibson is hard to beat, althought i haven't gotten a chance to try an SC245 yet. Only have played the Tremonti SE which I loved, including the playability of its neck. 

Also, the price of the PRS I'm looking at is around 1600 while the Gibson would be 1100. Thoughts? 

The PRS

The Gibson

Last edited by -Lateralus- at Jul 7, 2017,
I'm seriously "meh" on either one.
OF the two, I'd probably consider the PRS. You have a LOT better chance of keeping that in tune than the gibson.
On paper and from my experience, the PRS is probably more solid, but sometimes you gotta go with your gut. If THAT LP you played really sold you, get THAT one. Not another guitar of the same model, THAT one. Gibsons at that price are known to be very inconsistent.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I'd go for a PRS, personally, but dementiacaptain's point is right on target. If you loved that Gibson, get that Gibson.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
What model EC-1000 do you own? Those guitars typically have some sweet spec's going for them. Anyway, You might wait until you try an SC245 before deciding. 
Its the Maple neck EC-1000. I had a local guitar store swap out the EMGs for Seymour Duncans though. I dont like the guitar due to its neck and its light weight, which makes sustain not great. If you're interested though, I'll be selling it.
Went back and tried the Les Paul and I really like it. Its got a lot of muscle behind it and the way its set up, there's barely if any fret buzz. The only reason I have to go for the PRS is probably for the wider neck, but I'm not sure at this point if its worth the extra 500 bucks. The Les Paul also stayed in tune really well after going from E standard to Drop D and back to E standard. 

Its a 2005 Les Paul Studio, so it is a 12 year old guitar. 
I have a feeling that when you try the PRS that will be your choice.They do feel really nice.I really like the look of that Gibo though.Try the PRS and see what you think.
Quote by dementiacaptain
On paper and from my experience, the PRS is probably more solid, but sometimes you gotta go with your gut. If THAT LP you played really sold you, get THAT one. Not another guitar of the same model, THAT one. Gibsons at that price are known to be very inconsistent.
Gibsons at any price under Custom Shop are inconsistent from my experience.Well atleast 2014 or earlier.
The newer ones do seem better.
I went through trying out a load of standards and bought one and returned it a few years ago.So I decided to wait and then 2015 saw the robo tuners and wider neck etc so i waited another year before finally getting a Traditional in 2016 which is great.
I had an awful one in '05 too which i ended up retiring from gigging and selling and using an SG which was perfect.
EyeballPaul Yea I would definitely like to try an SC245, but they are very rare, especially to find in a store. I also dont like how it doesnt have the two piece bridge, but I guess I could live without that. The closest PRS I think that I've tried to it is probably the  PRS SE Mark Tremonti Custom. This one. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SEMTGB2

[h][/h]

I really like the Tremonti, but I think it comes down to the cleanness/moderness of the PRS vs. the growl/low end of the Gibson. This 2005 Gibson looks like someone took very good care of it or set it up since its the best Gibson Studio I've tried, especially compared to the crap Guitar Center ones. Neck wise, I've loved all the PRS' I have tried since they are between a Fender and a Gibson. I already have a Telecaster though, which is another reason why I'm considering the Gibson.
Quote by -Lateralus-
Its the Maple neck EC-1000. I had a local guitar store swap out the EMGs for Seymour Duncans though. I dont like the guitar due to its neck and its light weight, which makes sustain not great. If you're interested though, I'll be selling it.

Cool. No sense in having a guitar you don't dig!
Quote by -Lateralus-
Went back and tried the Les Paul and I really like it. Its got a lot of muscle behind it and the way its set up, there's barely if any fret buzz. The only reason I have to go for the PRS is probably for the wider neck, but I'm not sure at this point if its worth the extra 500 bucks. The Les Paul also stayed in tune really well after going from E standard to Drop D and back to E standard. 

Its a 2005 Les Paul Studio, so it is a 12 year old guitar. 

Snag it! A good Gibson is always fun to have!
-Lateralus- 
Well, as others have said, get THAT ONE. There are gems and worms among all production guitars, the amount of gems varies highly..
I had a 2013 (think) LP Studio that was an absolute gem and people said nasty things about that year LPs.
Since it's that old though, I don't think it would be low to try to get it for cheaper. I know it's a store, but that guitar would go honestly 850€ used tops here in Finland.
I've not tried the new SC245s, but if USA PRS quality (tried a CU22) is anything to go for, they're ridiculously good guitars. The Tremonti SE model is not a good comparison to the SC245 though, AFAIK.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Jul 11, 2017,
Sakke

Yea, was gonna see if I could get them to maybe go down 50 bucks for it. I think 100 might be stretch but I'll see since I've seen them online in the 900s. Also, is the CU22 a singlecut or their other superstrat type? Every PRS I've tried has been really good with a really nice neck, but I'm not sure if it's gonna give me that "les Paul growl" if like either. Also the offset in cost which is about 500-600 bucks may not be worth it?
Quote by -Lateralus-
Sakke

Yea, was gonna see if I could get them to maybe go down 50 bucks for it. I think 100 might be stretch but I'll see since I've seen them online in the 900s. Also, is the CU22 a singlecut or their other superstrat type? Every PRS I've tried has been really good with a really nice neck, but I'm not sure if it's gonna give me that "les Paul growl" if like either. Also the offset in cost which is about 500-600 bucks may not be worth it?

-Lateralus-
Eh, I wouldn't call a Custom 22 a super strat.. more like just a doublecut. Custom 22 and 24 are the PRS models, the ones that started it basically with the Santana model and such. I mean, the first PRS guitar was a double cutaway version of the Gibson Les Paul Special IIRC.
PRS Guitars don't have that LP growl, at least not with the stock pickups... 
I know what you mean, I had a LP Studio at one point. I think PRS Guitars much smoother sounding, I would like a Custom 22 right now, it would suit my style well. The offset in cost is worth every dime, they are that much better compared to the Gibson Studio range. PRS is also known for far better QC standard than Gibson of late.

But as I said, when you find a guitar that speaks to you.. GET.THAT.GUITAR. End of.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Jul 13, 2017,