I had a tube need to be replaced today, and I had a spare JJ 12AX7 on hand, but that got me thinking, which tubes should I use?

I use a Vox Night Train Combo (Greenback, identical to AC15 power section, Vox (bright/bright-thick) and Marshall (girth) voiced channels).

I was planning on maybe replacing my V1 with a 5751, because my amp can be a bit bright, and fizzy on low volumes (although I've heard that's normal), not that I care about the last one. I've heard that it's a bit darker (or is that 12AT7?), and I think that would work better. Is that a good idea?

I've heard that JJs make great preamp tubes, but the power amp tubes leave something to be desired. Is that true? Should I use JJ preamp tubes with another brand of power amp tubes? If so, which brand (EL84)? If that's not true, what brand(s) should I use?
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

I live for my girlfriend. <3
tubes for the most part are all pretty much made by the same couple of places and are just branded.  Russian made tends to be a bit better than Chinese but i don't have a list handy of who makes what. i'd suggest hitting the Vox forum and seeing what others use. 
Quote by monwobobbo
tubes for the most part are all pretty much made by the same couple of places and are just branded.  Russian made tends to be a bit better than Chinese but i don't have a list handy of who makes what. i'd suggest hitting the Vox forum and seeing what others use. 

That's a good idea. Thanks!

Update: I looked up some Vox tube things (I guess I forgot to search before asking. ), and it seems like JJs, both preamp and power amp tend to be a commonly accepted tube brand that's good for Voxs. That's good because at least one of the two guitar stores near me sell JJs, so I won't even have to go online.
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

Last edited by gogiregion at Jul 7, 2017,
That's a nice amp. Your best bet is to just try several. Not that expensive and it never hurts to have tubes laying around. Having said that, I ended up with JJ 12ax7 and EH EL84 in my Vj and love the combination. Great headroom while taking the sharp edge off the chimey.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
That's a nice amp. Your best bet is to just try several. Not that expensive and it never hurts to have tubes laying around. Having said that, I ended up with JJ 12ax7 and EH EL84 in my Vj and love the combination. Great headroom while taking the sharp edge off the chimey.

Okay, I'll try that too. I guess that tubes aren't THAT expensive, and I could probably ask for a ton for my birthday to try out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote by gogiregion
That's a good idea. Thanks!

Update: I looked up some Vox tube things (I guess I forgot to search before asking. ), and it seems like JJs, both preamp and power amp tend to be a commonly accepted tube brand that's good for Voxs. That's good because at least one of the two guitar stores near me sell JJs, so I won't even have to go online.

You *want* to go online. Check out Eurotubes.com (if you're in the US). They mostly handle JJs, and they have some of the best testing gear around. You don't want to know where the tubes they reject go.

You also want to know who makes the various "brand names" of tubes. There are really only three or four tube manufacturers left in the world, and there are a couple of companies that own a lot of the various tube brands, some of which differ from the others only by the exterior imprinting...
Quote by dspellman
You *want* to go online. Check out Eurotubes.com (if you're in the US). They mostly handle JJs, and they have some of the best testing gear around. You don't want to know where the tubes they reject go.

You also want to know who makes the various "brand names" of tubes. There are really only three or four tube manufacturers left in the world, and there are a couple of companies that own a lot of the various tube brands, some of which differ from the others only by the exterior imprinting...

Oh. I see.

i dunno if 5751s are any darker. just a bit less gain.

also watch if your amp has a cathode follower- some valves will blow in that position (I'd tell you which but last time I asked the regulars here I had it back to front ).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The reason it would end up being darker is that it would drain a bit of power from the other tubes. I look stuff up all the time, and look deeper into things that I tried looking up in tge past. I might just stick to 12AX7s, but I could always try others out.

Quote by gogiregion
The reason it would end up being darker is that it would drain a bit of power from the other tubes. I look stuff up all the time, and look deeper into things that I tried looking up in tge past. I might just stick to 12AX7s, but I could always try others out.

why do you always say things that don't make any sense.
my head it is so confused.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
why do you always say things that don't make any sense.
my head it is so confused.

Result of bad or misunderstood internet info.
Well, I've heard that, but who knows. I really need to fact check more.

Quote by gogiregion
Well, I've heard that, but who knows. I really need to fact check more.

Well to be fair we were all young and didnt know diddly at some point. It can be tough to get solid answers if you don't know the right ?s to ask. Next time perhaps start here and go from there.
Quote by monwobobbo
Well to be fair we were all young and didnt know diddly at some point. It can be tough to get solid answers if you don't know the right ?s to ask. Next time perhaps start here and go from there.

Good idea.

To be fair, I don't know very much about EE as far as tubes and germanium transistors. I mostly know about using silicon transistors, so I don't know too much about how stuff like that works.

Last edited by gogiregion at Jul 8, 2017,
Quote by monwobobbo

Not strictly true. Chinese 12AX7A and 12AX7B are inferior but the 12AX7C kicks any Russian 12AX7's arse.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by gogiregion
(a) The reason it would end up being darker is that it would drain a bit of power from the other tubes. I look stuff up all the time, and look deeper into things that I tried looking up in tge past. (b) I might just stick to 12AX7s, but I could always try others out.

(a) I'm not sure if that's true. I mean generally speaking, less gain = less overdrive = less warm and middy. Everything else being equal, at least. I didn't really notice much difference at all, lol.

(b) Yeah absolutely, no harm trying stuff if you can easily afford it. Just don't get too excited, because personally I've found that tubes only make a subtle differece.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
(a) I'm not sure if that's true. I mean generally speaking, less gain = less overdrive = less warm and middy. Everything else being equal, at least. I didn't really notice much difference at all, lol.

(b) Yeah absolutely, no harm trying stuff if you can easily afford it. Just don't get too excited, because personally I've found that tubes only make a subtle differece.

From what I understand, that one tube is brighter, but the other tubes become darker. Depending on different things, that can sometimes make it darker (I've heard that on my amp it makes it darker), maybe brighter, but IDK for sure.

I have no idea. to be fair I only tried it in a vht special 6 which is single ended and only has the one preamp tube so it's not like there were very many other tubes it could affect.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I have no idea. to be fair I only tried it in a vht special 6 which is single ended and only has the one preamp tube so it's not like there were very many other tubes it could affect.

Ah, okay.