I am totally game.  I don't care about what much, but I am able to address a pretty good amount of just about anyone's curiousities.  I can't tell you how to write fuges or something, but, otherwise, why not.

*shrug*  guess I'd be answering stuff in like one post per day.  happy git fiddlin y'all   
ok...why would you subject yourself to such torture
play well

wolf
why can't you write fugues? they're really not that complicated on a musical level. it's more like playing sudoku or solving a math problem than anything (which is why there is a mathematical sequence and there are programmable algorithms to write counterpoint now)
modes are a social construct
Nice.  Because the blues person said "try - tone" to the shredder.

I don't care, and lol.  Yeah, that's it,  Modes.  Bam, you nailed it.  Modes it is.  Ok eff it.

I can write fugues, I said I didn't want to write how to.  

I'll nuke this thread in a bit and leave posting up to the pros.      just protest a little more and the gig is up, promise
You're being pretty ****in Locrian about this, for  a ii V I.

There, I talked about a mode.  

Okay, I've got a theory question.  If I have a b3rd because it's the new modes thread, and a b5 because I can't write fugues, and that's on the 4, then why not say Min/Maj 9 #5 could just be Lydian #2 on the b6?

Bite me.  ..  kind of.  thanks for the good sportsballingship, or something.
do you talk to yourself a lot?
modes are a social construct
Okay then, you seem to be new here. Hi, I'm one of the mods on this site, nice to meet you.

So, this thread is not really going the way you wanted it to go, guessing from your reaction, but the truth is that most of the people who frequent this subforum know well enough about theory to not post in a thread like this. Usually, when someone wants to ask a question, they make a new thread and all of the regulars on this sub answer it to their best knowledge.

But I guess I could ask you a question... what key is this chord progression in: F#m7b5-Bm-Em-Am
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri

what key is this chord progression in: F#m7b5-Bm-Em-Am

Oh come on, that's too easy... it's the key of E minor Balinese Pelog mode  

leitgebwalter284
Explain this... created by a famous sax player... 

Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
Last edited by PlusPaul at Jul 8, 2017,
He would span progression chord changes playing lines derived from passing chords, sometimes playing a long fast line that went through a series of multiple compounded passing chords. His diagram includes the navigation of passing chord pathways... he would stare at this while practicing to get them under his fingers and in his ears for all changes in all keys. There is more, but much is still unknown about all of what it holds.
Quote by reverb66
Kevätuhri: B Locrian, B Phrygian, E Minor (same), A Dorian (same)

That guy sounds great
Last edited by leitgebwalter284 at Jul 8, 2017,
Meanwhile, I'm almost cooked on this thread, webpage, etc. it's a bit high school.  

I however understand I could have just answered threads.  I'm going far away for a long while so my whatever thread dies down.

Rock on, say hi to Triumph for me
Yeah sorry I was wrong.  My brain transposed itself.

B Phrygian, not *B Locrian - B Phrygian

I personally had never lived until I heard Dave Gilmour slightly bend a 4th in vibrato.

I am so outsies.  Aloha congregation.  peace
Fine, I'll bite.  The chord Min 7 b5, when applied to the [v[ chord, renders a b 2nd.  So, you can do lots.

Phrygian?  Totes.  Phrygian Dominant? (not some assinine name y'all apply to a scale missing notes)     yep
Phrygian Dominant, Natural 6?  Why tf not?

*ack*  *help*  *dead*
What key is Sweet Home Alabama in?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
How do you find the key in a song? been curious about that.
If it weren't for my horse i wouldn't have spent that year in college
Quote by leitgebwalter284
ust protest a little more and the gig is up, promise

Do you say "minus well" and "should of" as well?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
So, we maybe not able to help?  
Quote by reverb66
Quote by cdgraves
Did you check under the sofa cushions?

I could have sworn you were allergic to humor.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by AlanHB
What key is Sweet Home Alabama in?

I believe it's in United States of Aminorica.
Quote by Kot_Blini
How do you find the key in a song? been curious about that.

1. figure out what notes fit the song
2. organize them in a way that makes up either a major or a minor scale
3. take the root of each scale, and figure out if the melody ends with either note. If it does, that's probably your key

alternate way:

1. learn about notes and intervals. Figure out how to build chords and scales. Learn functional harmony and basic theory behind chord progressions. Use this knowledge to analyze the chord progression in the song you want to learn. Figure out the tonic chord. That's your key.
2. make a post in MT claiming that you just wrote a song in the key of A dorian. This works better if the song is also in 7/5 time signature.
3. witness downfall of society
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by leitgebwalter284
Kevätuhri: B Locrian, B Phrygian, E Minor (same), A Dorian (same)

I think I know this one (reading old threads)

LOCK the FRIDGE, there's an ALIEN at the DOOR. 
Last edited by Vreid at Jul 10, 2017,
You seem like the kind of guy that likes to talk about himself a lot. Trying to tout your theory knowledge on a theory forum is like trying to sell wood to a forest.
Quote by Fat Lard
post of the year, thank you
If I pick up a six-string guitar in standard tuning, turn each tuning peg until the natural frequency of each string fits the geometric progression f_n = 250 x 0.25^(n-1) Hz, 1 <= n <=6, and play a ninth-fret harmonic on the third (n = 3) whilst travelling at a velocity of 0.6c away from you, which frets and strings do I have to play to complete the minor triad in your reference frame?
Quote by PlusPaul
Oh come on, that's too easy... it's the key of E minor Balinese Pelog mode  

leitgebwalter284
Explain this... created by a famous sax player... 

The two outer circles are just alternating whole steps, grouped into five so the middle note's fourth and fifth will be a half tone up or down from the notes on the outside of the note group on the opposite circle. The numbers on the inside are just semitones. You'd expect that to be scale degrees but it isn't. These groups of five line up to make a full list of the 12 notes because there's two of them (10) plus the notes right on the outside on each end. So this allowed him to draw it 5 times. The lines in the middle connect the tritones and drawing lines to repeats of the same note creates a pentagram.
Not really sure why it would be of any use though
Quote by eddievanzant
The two outer circles are just alternating whole steps, grouped into five so the middle note's fourth and fifth will be a half tone up or down from the notes on the outside of the note group on the opposite circle. The numbers on the inside are just semitones. You'd expect that to be scale degrees but it isn't. These groups of five line up to make a full list of the 12 notes because there's two of them (10) plus the notes right on the outside on each end. So this allowed him to draw it 5 times. The lines in the middle connect the tritones and drawing lines to repeats of the same note creates a pentagram.

Not really sure why it would be of any use though

eddievanzant 

Any thoughts on the discontinuity on the left side?

Those groups of three, two in one ring and one from the other ring that alternate (with the pairs circled) looking like a series of "hearts" with every other one inverted... except on the left side below the "5". There are three in a row with the same orientation and the upper two near the "5" have an extra note from each ring between them (two instead of one), and between the lower two, only the outer ring contributes an F#... nothing from the inner ring!

The "hearts" that have their pointy ends extending outwards (where of the three notes, two are on the inner ring and one is on the outer ring)... if you start at the top with C and go clockwise just hitting the outward pointy hearts, the sequence in the outer ring is whole tone descending...

C Bb AB Gb E ... the next would be D, and that occurs but there are three outward pointy hearts in a row, the discontinuity mentioned above. Likewise, whole tones ascend going counterclockwise, through the same discontinuity on the left side.
Quote by reverb66
What's your method of learning to identify intervals by reading them on the page and being able to identify them by ear?