I have a ton of homework, and have a lot of fun jamming too, but I just can't seem to find the initiative, incentive, or motivation to keep up.  It's been almost 22 years.  Few gigs really, luck of the draw there.  I could be recording, for the sake of practice and study, or fun.
  I want to know how to get my arse playing again.  Does anybody have some tips?  Thanks peeps    <3  
You need motivation by something, otherwise it's just drudgery.  I've never experienced druidgery with music.  Frustration yes, when serious injuries stopped my playing (when I was at a very high standard of technique), but that just motivated me to listen more, work on my ear trainiing, and really explore books on jazz theory, and music psychology.  I became much better musically, even though I couldn't play for a long time.  End result ... I lost some technique which I can never get back (nerve damage), but enjoy all things musical way more, and can work with many different styles now (even though my heart is somewhere between hard-rock, metal, and modern jazz).  Slowing down motivated me to me address my musical short-comings.

So maybe listen to other genres, or work on pieces you find challenging (theory-wise or technique)?  Definitely play with better standard musicians, regularly.

Something that is a lot of fun, and challenging, is rhythm (e.g. rhythmic groupings, polyrhythm, metric modulation ...)

I'd imagine that, after 22 years, there's a bit of ring rust there :-)
Last edited by jerrykramskoy at Jul 9, 2017,
Revisit the songs/bands that first inspired you to pick up the guitar.  Thinking back to when you were really enthusiastic and motivated can really get your excitement rejuvenated.  Also, if you haven't been to a live gig in a while, go and see a band when you get a chance.  It can really get the motivation going again.
Quote by leitgebwalter284
  I have a ton of homework, and have a lot of fun jamming too, but I just can't seem to find the initiative, incentive, or motivation to keep up.  It's been almost 22 years.  Few gigs really, luck of the draw there.  I could be recording, for the sake of practice and study, or fun.
  I want to know how to get my arse playing again.  Does anybody have some tips?  Thanks peeps    <3  

I feel for you - had the same problem when I couldn't find the initiative or motivation to continue practicing when I have a lot of work on my plate. What always worked for me is to take a breather and go to mini concerts around my neighbourhood, or even go to upcoming concerts of my favourite bands. I got inspired by them, and said to myself, if they could do practice hours and hours just to be where they are now, why can't I? The other is to really set a time block aside for guitar practicing, I mean, it's easier said than done of course, but you have to make your practice enjoyable. You said you had a lot of fun jamming - keep doing it! Surround yourself with the right people who are upbeat and passionate about jamming. Also, I found this guide useful  on making practice enjoyable: http://bit.ly/2tLkJw5 Hope this helps! 
I understand how you feel, a lot of people have felt that way, having practiced seriously in their youth and then going 15-20 years with barely touching the guitar. It can be frustrating to remember how good you used to play 22 years ago, and then not being able to play that way now. The good news is that since you have already developed the skills once, it will take you less time to re-gain them the second time than it took the first time. 

What you really need is to go back to your original desire for wanting to play. Here are a couple of ideas you can try to re-gain your desire to practice:

1. Think back about what was so exciting about picking up the guitar. 
2. Revisit the old memories, such as recordings, photos, videos etc if you still have them. 
3. Listen to the music you used to listen to when you practiced the most
4. Find a way to hang out with guitarists and musicians who are better than you are
5. Go watch live gigs with good guitarists
6. Sign up for an open mic
7. Join a band or some kind of music project, so that you get some external pressure to practice
8. Find a great guitar teacher to study with (either offline and online)

I hope you re-gain your desire to practice.....life's too short to let your musical dreams go to waste.