Quick question, I just want to get an idea if I am being overly picky or if I am justified in being a bit miffed. What would you think/feel if you were to buy a open box/Blemished guitar, scratch and dent...call it what you will but you get the idea. Upon getting the guitar you are a little suspicious at the amount of wear and tear on the box it arrives in, then (and this is where I question myself) you check the date code of manufacture using the serial number on the headstock and find that the guitar was actually made in 2016, at least 7 months ago. Maybe that is common practice to have something sitting around the warehouse for over 6 months before you sell it as an open box item, I don't know. Am I being overly picky here?
Umm.... so.... like many things it was made and for whatever reason say. Not a big deal and very common. If it's an import then it's very common.
I wouldn't care.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
If the condition matched the description, I wouldn't be too fussed about the age unless there was a notable difference between model years.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
You get that even with new stuff. I bought my amp in 2016 new, but the manufactur date was in 2015.
Latest guitar, made in 16 purchased in 17. Bought it new.

If it's scratch n dent, then it still counts as new so you get your warranty. I would only be miffed if it was worse than described.
what's the problem?
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
That's not even uncommon, I bet you could find a whole bunch of 2016s still on the racks at plenty of guitar shops. It's certainly not any indication of malicious intent by the seller, and it's not even an issue unless there happened to be a spec change from one year to the next, in which case it's kind of on you to check, because again it's not unusual for stock to sit around like that, and the product you buy is generally "Fender MIM Strat" and not "Guaranteed Fresh Mid-June 2017 Strat." It's a guitar, not an iphone. It's not going to go obsolete in eight months. 

Plus, on a scratch and dent item it's more likely those scratches and dents came from demo use than from some freak accident between the factory and the stockroom. You kind of have to assume the thing sat around for a while collecting that damage before it was marked down.
Yeah I think that's not too bad. I'm normally on the consumer's side as a rule, but as Liaztraht said, I'm sure I've bought "new" guitar stuff which was older than that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
About the manufacturing age, I think it's normal. Keep in mind the equipment is mass produced and surely they weren't able to sell all last year's stock so far. This would only be an issue if this year's model offered reasonable changes the last year's model didn't. About the wear on the box, as long as the gear is in new condition, is just fine as well.
'07 Jackson Pro Dinky DK2M (MIJ)
Squier Strat SE
Marshall Valvestate VS15R practice amp
Dave_Mc I find the gear market is somewhat similar to the car market with manufacturing. If you purchase a '17 model year, chances are it was built in 2016. Though gear seems to be announced for the year of release instead of part way through.

Gotta have time to manufacture things before release, then ship it, then wait for it to be purchased before rotating in new stock.
Thanks for the answers. I just didn't know how common it was in the guitar/music store business to have stock around that long. I wasn't mad so much as curious as to how common a practice that was. Now I know. I think it is very helpful to know that if some specific item is important and only available on a certain year product, I will be real sure to be specific that I want that year and no other. Anyway no big deal and I learned a little something.
About two years ago I bought a 2nd Epiphone Les Paul Tribute that was listed on Musicians Friend as an open box. The normal price was $699 ($749 today) and this guitar was offered at $499. I bought it and it arrived in mint condition with all tags, guarantees, plastic still on the pickups and not a scratch on it. According to the serial number on it, it was made more than a year earlier. I don't know why it sat in a warehouse for many months or why it was opened or returned and I really don't care. I got a great guitar for $200 off it's normal price in a color I was looking for (Midnight Sapphire). Score.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by Arrawin
Thanks for the answers. I just didn't know how common it was in the guitar/music store business to have stock around that long. I wasn't mad so much as curious as to how common a practice that was. Now I know. I think it is very helpful to know that if some specific item is important and only available on a certain year product, I will be real sure to be specific that I want that year and no other. Anyway no big deal and I learned a little something.

Mmm being specific can help,  especially if the guitar company changes spec's mid run. Fender did that when they revamped the American Standard Strat's spec's to have Fat 50's pups and what not , which resulted in earlier ones already in stores having different spec's than the newest ones of the same year.
Quote by Liaztraht
Dave_Mc I find the gear market is somewhat similar to the car market with manufacturing. If you purchase a '17 model year, chances are it was built in 2016. Though gear seems to be announced for the year of release instead of part way through.

Gotta have time to manufacture things before release, then ship it, then wait for it to be purchased before rotating in new stock.

Most guitar companies make their decisions and begin manufacturing a year ahead of their drop point. Gibson famously got caught out in 2008 when they decided (in t2007) to raise prices a solid 10% or more to reflect the high price of fuel (nearly $5 a gallon) and their anticipation that it would be even higher when they went to ship guitars in 2008. Then the economy went to hell, fuel prices dropped and there was Gibson, delivering the same old guitars at shiny new (and much higher) prices. Pissed off a lot of people who didn't understand how manufacturing works.

Then there's the matter of inventory, economics and unpopular colors/models of guitars. I've seen brand new old stock from two or three seasons ago hanging on some GC walls. Sometimes that's a great find, because on the right day you can buy at 40%-50% off. Money locked up in old inventory isn't circulating and making profit, so it's often better to just move that stuff along.
This is normal.  A lot of guitars will sit in factory warehouses for over a year before being shipped to music shops.  Once they get to the music shop they can hang on the wall for a year or two before being sold.  This means that it isn't uncommon for a new guitar purchased in 2017 to have been made in 2015 or 2016.  My local music shop has got a handful of new guitar that have been hanging on his wall for at least 5 years.
Not taking any online orders.
This happens with plenty of products other than guitars. A friend of mine bought a "new" 2012 Toyota with only 80 or 90 miles on it in 2013. Technically it wasn't the newest model considering that it was a year old, but it never had a previous owner. It was just old stock that didn't sell for whatever reason. 
My crap:

Guitars
Jackson RR3T Limited Edition with Seymour Duncan Blackouts (MIJ)
Jackson JS1-X Rhoads
Jackson PDXT with Seymour Duncan Black Winters
Dean Vendetta XM

Amps
Peavey 6505 MH
Carvin 1X12 Cab

Pedals
Boss TU-3 Tuner
Boss NS-2 Noise Gate
Boss DD-7 Delay