Hey guys, first post here but im in need of some advice. Im playing some gigs soon, and all I have is a solid state yamaha combo amp, an older model I cant even tell you the specifics. Lets just say it doesnt have the best tone.
My band plays metal, 8 string guitars. ive done a bit of research and saw two that stood out to me for working on a budget:
A peavey 6505+ 112 combo amp or a Randall 1003h and 4/12 cab. However i realize the randall and cab will be much more expensive overall.
My question is, for gigs where your rig is being mic'd up and everything, is it necessary to have a half stack for a good tone? Because from what ive read thus far, the peavey 6505 will have much better tone but im looking for a good live sound as well.
Any advice or opinions would be much appreciated!!
Quote by ThrashKing
is it necessary to have a half stack for a good tone? 

Absolutely not.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
A 6505 112 is going to be stupid loud. If you're mic'ed your amp would be more for stage volume anyway, and there is no reason you would need more than the 6505+ for that. (You may find you prefer a 212 or some other setup, but as far as needing it? Absolutely no way.)
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Absolutely not.

This, half stacks are all well and good, but you can get good tones out of combo's too.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
The 6505 would be right up your alley. Its the amp for that kind of music.

The Randall wouldn't be bad either, though a 2x12 cab would be easier to move around with it. That's if you like the tone of it. It is a completely different beast than the 6505.

4x12 are pretty overrated for most shows. They're a pain to move and are more or less props, especially if you are mic'd.

You could try to find a used 6505 head and 2x12 and have the best of both worlds. Portable and easier to carry in my experience, but loud enough to cut through unmiced if needed. Plus the 6505 head, if a U.S. version would be better built.
How about going used 6505 with a 4x12?

For metal stuff a 4x12 is definitely a plus although maybe overkill for some situations. I wouldn't go for the Randall unless it is their Thrasher or SATAN amps.
The 6505 is more up your alley tone-wise. The little combo has some issues - bad fx loop, the speaker is not very good, but overall it will be a better amp than the other one. My suggestion would be to go for a head + 4x12, you can buy it from GC used section or check your local craigslist.
The 112's stock effects loop is bad out of the box, but the addition of a single capacitor in the loop circuit makes it way more transparent. So much so that even Peavey themselves consider it a mod that's well worth doing.

And to be fair for the price range that the 6505 combo sells for, you're not going to get a particularly good speaker no matter what amp you buy.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The 112's stock effects loop is bad out of the box, but the addition of a single capacitor in the loop circuit makes it way more transparent. So much so that even Peavey themselves consider it a mod that's well worth doing.

And to be fair for the price range that the 6505 combo sells for, you're not going to get a particularly good speaker no matter what amp you buy.

Yep, very easy fix, and makes it 10X better.  Actually, with the mods I did to mine, the 6505+ 112 is a MONSTER amp.  It will keep right up with my 6505 120 watt head for the most part, in terms of volume and quality of tone.  Running through the same 4 X 12 cab, of course.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood