Hello guys!,
Just found out about this forum and theres a question I have had for a long time. I have an american strat, not a cheap one, and it is very hard to bend strings on that one.
Now in not new to guitar i have been playing for a very long time and in other guitars i can bend a lot easier.
I am also using a 9mm strings so that is also not the problem.
Does it mean that the guitar needs a set up? Or is it something else
Thanks!
Quote by kambel79
9mm strings?
Not cheap strat?
Details?
Are you sure you know what you are saying?

Yes im sure.
9mm is a bridge cable. I think you mean .009" - .042".

Chances are good you're not tuned correctly.
If the other guitars have a shorter scale then the strings will be a bit easier to bend. A Les Paul has 24.75" scale as opposed to the strats 25.5" scale
Quote by Guitaraxe
What model Strat do you have?

American standard stratocasrter
Quote by dspellman
9mm is a bridge cable. I think you mean .009" - .042".

Chances are good you're not tuned correctly.

Yeah i meant 009" im sorry.
Im tuned to standard tuning i dont think thats the problem. Ive had this problem for a long time and other guitars are not like that
Quote by monwobobbo
If the other guitars have a shorter scale then the strings will be a bit easier to bend. A Les Paul has 24.75" scale as opposed to the strats 25.5" scale

So sodoes this mean that i dont have anything to do?
Quote by yahely10
So sodoes this mean that i dont have anything to do?

May mean you have a technique issue when bending. What exactly do you mean by having trouble bending
Ok' if it's an AmSt ,strung with 9's and set up properly , then bending (imo) shouldn't be much of an issue from the guitar side of things. Especially if the bridge is floating. 
It shouldn't be a problem. Try to check on youtube some string bend lessons, like the ones from Guthrie (I practice those and they're quite good), it could be you're making bad moves or something alike.
Quote by monwobobbo
May mean you have a technique issue when bending. What exactly do you mean by having trouble bending
Quote by SrThompson
It shouldn't be a problem. Try to check on youtube some string bend lessons, like the ones from Guthrie (I practice those and they're quite good), it could be you're making bad moves or something alike.

It is 100 precent not a technique problem. I have been playing for 7 years now, and other guitars dont have that problem, wich means i can bend strings a lot easier. I have that issue only with my strat. I have also let my friends play and they had that issue too.
I have read somewhere that this is a known issue with strats and that many famous guitarists just tune it half step down so itll be easier, is this true?

Quote by Guitaraxe
Ok' if it's an AmSt ,strung with 9's and set up properly , then bending (imo) shouldn't be much of an issue from the guitar side of things. Especially if the bridge is floating. 

I am not realy sure the guitar is all set up 100% correctly, this is why I asked if there is a chance this has something to do with the set up. I also have some buzz in some of my strings so....

Quote by monwobobbo

Get your guitar, tune it a bit up, this is exactly what i feel. Ill repeat and say that the guutar is tuned to standard tuning and that there is not a problem with the technique, you can read what i wrote to the other guys

Thank you all for trying to help!
Quote by monwobobbo

Read again what you wrote, one of the guitars i played was a gibson les paul and it was easier to bend the strings there, so im pretty sure that is the issue, i just want to make sure if an improvment of the set up will make a different or not, because maybe i can make the current situation better.
You might check out the Fender set-up guide over at Fender's website and see how your guitar compares to the recommended spec's.
Quote by Guitaraxe
You might check out the Fender set-up guide over at Fender's website and see how your guitar compares to the recommended spec's.

I'll try that, i just wanted to know if the tension of the strings has something to do with the set up or no.
Quote by yahely10
I'll try that, i just wanted to know if the tension of the strings has something to do with the set up or no.

Yes, among other factors.... it all adds up.

What brand strings do you use? Try some Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9-42. They do (imo) live up to the "slinky" name. 
How many of the other guitars that bent easier were also Strats?

The tension in a string at tuned pitch for a particular scale length is going to be constant; setup adjustments can't change that.

Setup adjustments can change the feel of the strings, but you need to know how or have it done.
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
A good setup never hurts but isn't the main concern here. Work on your finger strength and you'll get it. I play starts with. 09s with no issues.
Quote by PlusPaul

I came in here to ask this. Are you used to playing shorter scale guitars, guitars with a different kind of fretboard, etc.?
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by PlusPaul

The tension in a string at tuned pitch for a particular scale length is going to be constant; setup adjustments can't change that.

Setup adjustments can change the feel of the strings, but you need to know how or have it done.
Quote by PatchworkMan
I came in here to ask this. Are you used to playing shorter scale guitars, guitars with a different kind of fretboard, etc.?

As I wrote before it was a lote easier for me to bend strings on gibson les paul then on my strat, and i though it was a problem with my guitar.
A friend of mine also played on my guitar and mentioned this issue, so it doesnt just me.
I guess it doesnt have a straight connectuon with the set up but with the scale length like you guys mentioned
Last edited by yahely10 at Jul 9, 2017,
How old are the strings? I find that if guitar strings are kind of dead (i.e old) or freshly put on, they can be a little bit difficult to bend, but if they are within like, a two month window (depending on how frequently you play), then there aren't really any problems. 

Kind of surprised that you have a problem with '09s though. They are on the lighter end of the spectrum in terms of string gauge.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by yahely10
As I wrote before it was a lote easier for me to bend strings on gibson les paul then on my strat, and i though it was a problem with my guitar.
A friend of mine also played on my guitar and mentioned this issue, so it doesnt just me.
I guess it doesnt have a straight connectuon with the set up but with the scale length like you guys mentioned

The longer the scale the higher the actual tension but the set-up can manipulate that so the guitar feels different from the actual tension. 

You could for example set-up your LP to make it harder to bend on compared to your Strat.
Last edited by Guitaraxe at Jul 9, 2017,
how's the trem set? sometimes that can affect how it feels to bend if you have a lot of springs etc...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?