Just wanted to give you guys a heads up as a strat collector on what to watch out for. I bought a used 2006 fender American deluxe from Guitar Center. PSA measure your fret markers before buying if it's something you care about being correct.

The fret markers on mine are printed off center by about 1/8th inch. Basically the 3rd fret marker is almost behind the D string but the 9th is behind the G string, giving the neck a very crooked and jarring look like it's not seated in the neck pocket correctly although it is. This becomes super obvious when I do videos close up of the fret board.

This was the response I got when contacting Fender, seeing if they could replace the obviously poorly made neck:

"I just find it peculiar that you'd purchase an instrument that you say looks 'amateur' and 'poorly made'. That dot dose indeed appear to be off-center, and had you purchased this new, we'd be having a different conversation."
- Brett L., Fender Musical Instruments Corp.​

To everyone else I suggest if you're buying a strat and you're very certain about things looking correct and the guitar built correctly, well then watch out for fret markers being way off center like mine.

Umm... can't argue with what fender said. Ok a bad neck got through. You bought it no one made you. Any time you buy a used guitar it's on you to inspect and make sure you aren't buying something that got dumped for a reason.
monwobobbo Well then we will each have our own opinion! In my opinion, anything built wrong in the factory should be replaced. Either way this thread stands as a warning to now measure your fret markers if that's something you care about.
Fender's limited lifetime warranty for craftsmanship on guitars is only good for the original purchaser.  You bought an 11 year old used guitar and are asking them for a brand new neck, I can see why they replied with what they did.    

FENDER®
ELECTRIC INSTRUMENT
LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY
Fender Musical Instruments Corporation warrants this Fender brand instrument to be
free from defects in materials and workmanship for as long as it is owned by the original
retail purchaser, except that pickups, switches, jacks, controls, all other electronic
components, tuning machines, hardware, pickguards, plated surfaces, gig bags, cases and
case hardware are warranted for a period of one (1) year from the date of original
purchase. This warranty applies only to the original retail purchaser when this
instrument is purchased from an Authorized Fender Dealer and is subject to the
limitations set forth herein.

further down.....

Limitations and exclusions
The following items are not covered by this warranty.
1. Fret wear, saddle wear, nut wear, strings and batteries.
2. Setups, adjustments or routine maintenance of any kind.
3. Damage to finishes or cracks, splitting, or warpage of wood due to changes in
temperature or humidity, exposure to or contact with sun, fire, moisture, body
salts and acids of perspiration, guitar straps, guitar stands/hangers made from
vinyl, plastic, rubber or other synthetic materials, any other chemicals or non-
Fender-approved polishes.
4. Damage, corrosion or rusting of any hardware components caused by
humidity, salty air, or exposure to the moisture, body salts and acids of
perspiration.
5. Any damage to an instrument resulting from customization or modification.
6. Normal wear and tear on any part of the instrument, case or gig bag including
jacks, controls, switches, plated surfaces, tuning machines, pickguards,
zippers, clasps, handles, latches, case hardware etc.
7. All other damage and deterioration due to normal usage, wear and tear, aging,
accidents, neglect, abuse, or Acts of Nature.
8. Any instrument, whose serial number is missing, altered or tampered with in
any fashion.
9. Any instrument purchased from anyone other than an Authorized Fender®
Dealer.
10. Instruments that have been serviced by unauthorized persons (any person
other than a Fender Certified Technician at an Authorized Fender Service
Center).

Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Jul 8, 2017,
Quote by mikemike87
monwobobbo Well then we will each have our own opinion! In my opinion, anything built wrong in the factory should be replaced. Either way this thread stands as a warning to now measure your fret markers if that's something you care about.

And only a moron buys something that he knows is defective.
Bring it back to GC.

How's it sound?  Many "factory seconds" turn out to be killer guitars.... or at least as legend has it.
Quote by mikemike87
In my opinion, anything built wrong in the factory should be replaced.

It would be, if you'd bought it direct from the factory. It's over a decade old, you have no idea what the previous owner(s) might have done, the factory has no obligation to stand behind that. If you buy anything used, from an instrument to a car to a mobile home, it's entirely on you to check it over before you buy, because factory warranties don't transfer when it's resold. If it's bad enough that you can't enjoy the guitar, and you have a return period, return it. If not, you're gonna have to learn to live with it or sell it (probably at a loss) to someone who can.
The string spacing variance is double the error of dot placement.
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
When I click on this guy's username it says that either his name doesn't exist or his account hasn't been activated yet.

Hmmmm...
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by mikemike87
anything built wrong in the factory should be replaced.

Wrong. You bought a used item that is 11 years old. You have no recourse with Fender. They have no contract with you. The guitar could have literally fallen apart minutes after you bought it second hand, that doesn't mean Fender have to do anything.
Is the guitar and neck even genuine? Was it sold as B-stock back in '06?

Who knows what happened since this guitar was created
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Based on the pics this doesn't seem like a big deal. Neck isn't off and may well play great. For all we know the original buyer was given a discount as the defect is only cosmetic.
A heavily discounted factory 2nd most likely.  I wonder why this "collector" bought such an obvious cosmetically flawed guitar used at GC?
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
A heavily discounted factory 2nd most likely.  I wonder why this "collector" bought such an obvious cosmetically flawed guitar used at GC?

We all wonder that but op seems to have bailed.

My guess, he bought it cheap and hoped to get a free replacement neck so it could be sold at a profit.
Guitar Center returned the guitar to me for store credit even though it was past the return date. Thanks.
Last edited by mikemike87 at Jul 10, 2017,
Quote by mikemike87
Guitar Center returned the guitar to me for store credit even though it was past the return date. Thanks.

Cool!
Quote by mikemike87

Good deal, Guitar Center gets a lot of hate on here for various reasons, poorly educated or just downright rude staff, stocking more crappy guitars than decent ones, having terrible techs etc. but it is a good place to buy used because of the liberal return policy, as long as you know what to look for on a used guitar.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by metalmingee
Is the guitar and neck even genuine?  Was it sold as B-stock back in '06?

Who knows what happened since this guitar was created

That is what I was thinking.  I suspect the neck was replaced or the guitar was originally sold as B stock and the poorly placed fret markers was pointed out to the original purchaser and highly discounted because of it.  Either way the issue isn't going to affect the way the guitar sounds or plays so it's not a big deal.  If the TS didn't like the markers they shouldn't have bought the guitar.
Not taking any online orders.
I'm not sure it is off centre, at least not by much. In your first pic, the neck width is 1 5/8" Half of that is 13/16", from which the dot looks very close to OK. The Off-centre look is at least partly due to the strings being off-centre - the 6th string centre is a good bit further from the edge than the 1st string centre.
The dots are definitely off center, look at both pictures. The distance from the edge of the board to the start of the dot is clearly under 3/4" from the left side and over 3/4" from the right. What is not clear to me is whether that is really as bad as the first post makes it out to be. As you said, it looks close to ok. Without seeing the whole neck it's not obvious to me that this is a serious QC failure.

First OP said it was important to measure, but then says the neck has a "very crooked and jarring look" which I'd assume would be obvious without measuring. So either OP bought a guitar with a noticeable, "jarring" flaw, or is overstating how bad the neck looks. Without any more information, my thought is that if you have to sit down and measure to tell that the dots are off, it might not be a serious issue. For all I know all of the dots on every strat I've ever bought have been off, I've never thought to measure any of them. Maybe they're all like that. 

I suspect that if all the dots were offset a small amount, but in line with each other, it wouldn't look strange. Where the strings fall over the dots isn't a big deal, since a new nut can change the string spacing. It was claimed that some of the other dots were off-center in a different direction, and that the neck looks weird because of it, but no pictures of the whole neck were provided. If the neck really does look that bad I'd hope to see it. Just the measurement of a single dot tells us very little; sure, it's off, but I'm not sure that's a serious problem all on its own. Clearly it wasn't bad enough to prevent OP from buying it, so it's either less jarring than claimed or it was knowingly bought with the flaw. Either way I don't see why Fender should be on the hook for fixing this, ten years and 3 or more owners later.
Oh, that makes sense. I hadn't considered image distortion, I was just lining up the dots with the tape measure markings, assuming they were decently flat when the picture was taken.