Hey! So, I'm new to the forums and also playing guitars itself. I play the piano and thought it would be great to start learning the guitar. Although, I have one question.

I bought my guitar years ago but never got around to learning it until now. So I have two problems.

My guitar is extremely out of tune. I have tried to tune it but I fail to do so almost everyday.

Secondly, no matter what chord I try to play, it sounds EXACTLY how it sounds when I strum without holding down any strings. I've tried to move my hands around and also tried pushing as hard as possible on the strings. 

Help would be very appreciated!

P.S I forgot to add. My guitar does not sound as bright as the guitar which people on YouTube play. I'm watching different tutorials off the internet to learn ...
Last edited by Jamuso at Jul 9, 2017,
Get a tuner.. there's free apps you can get on your phone.. none of your chords will sound right if your not in tune and pretty much everything you do will sound awful until you get it in tune.

You'll be amazed at how much better your guitar sounds with a new set of strings on it as well
Hey Jamuso .

There are guitar tuning phone apps like Yousician and GuitarTuna. I use the latter and it works fine. Or, you can use a chromatic clip on tuner. If you can't have either, worst case, tune by ear by hearing a tuned guitar on youtube or something...

Also, if the strings are corroded badlt, rusty or in generally shit condition the guitar will sound dull, muted. Get some new strings fitted and it'll sound brighter and more alive.

As for the guitar sounding the same in every chord - try points 1 and 2, and then play the guitar again. If it the chords still sound the same, you might be holding down strings wrongly..? Although this should never happen.

Hope this helps
I don't see how you can fail to tune a guitar, especially if you play piano and know notation or different chords sounding the same unless the neck is reverse bowed with the strings sitting on the frets.
Quote by Jamuso
. I play the piano and thought it would be great to start learning the guitar. Although, I have one question.

I bought my guitar years ago but never got around to learning it until now. So I have two problems.

My guitar is extremely out of tune. I have tried to tune it but I fail to do so almost everyday.

Secondly, no matter what chord I try to play, it sounds EXACTLY how it sounds when I strum without holding down any strings. I've tried to move my hands around and also tried pushing as hard as possible on the strings. 

Help would be very appreciated!

P.S I forgot to add. My guitar does not sound as bright as the guitar which people on YouTube play. I'm watching different tutorials off the internet to learn ...
Well, if you actually do play the piano, then you should understand scientific pitch notation. Tune your guitar to the following absolute pitches:
E-6 (The big fat guy) E2
A-5 Tune to A2
D-4 Tune to D3
G-3 Tune to G3
B-2 Tune to B3
e-1 Tune to E4

If you don't understand SPN, it's high time you learn it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_pitch_notation The piano keyboard is marked by octaves on that Wiki page under the topic, "table of note frequencies".

One hint is all you get, "C4" is middle C.

As for the rest of your post. You're not pushing down hard enough.

Of course the guitar, "isn't as bright as those on YouTube",. you've most likely never replaced the strings since you got it.

Other possible explanations, the people on YouTube are plugged in and using equalization to brighten their sound. Or many of them are playing Taylor guitars, which tend to be fairly bright.

And I almost hate to mention this possibility, but your guitar could just be a turd, and might never sound good. No offense intended, we all get stuck with something like that, at least once in our lives.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 11, 2017,
Quote by Captaincranky
And I almost hate to mention this possibility, but your guitar could just be a turd, and might never sound good. No offense intended, we all get stuck with something like that, at least once in our lives.

Oh yes! Jamuso What is your guitar? Does it have a brand, model or ident? If not, can you up a picture of it? It might just be the guitar being a lemon and sounding just pure crap.
If you haven't changed your strings then you need to do that.  After you have new strings on your guitar you can tune them with the tuner app here on UG.  Just open any tab and then on the left hand side of your screen you will have a button that will open the tuner.  Once you have new strings and a properly tuned guitar your chords will sound like chords.
Not taking any online orders.
Alright, so after lots and lots of frustration, I actually fixed the problem. The problem was with the tuning itself. I got a free app off App Store and tuned it to the regular tuning (EADGBE).

Not only did the chords start ringing out much better, but also things got a little brighter. Although, I'm still going to get a better acoustic and better strings (something which works better on the Drop C tuning, planning to learn on that tuning next) when I feel more comfortable with the whole guitar playing. 

Thanks a lot for your replies!