Finally got my new Matt Heafy Epiphone Les Paul in the other day (pics are incoming), and I dig it. Sounds good through my DSL40. My only complaint is the neck has zero relief in it so a truss rod adjustment is in it's future but I'm going to play it for a while before I do anything to it. Gloss black really shows all those finger prints!

Definitely one of the nicer Epiphones. Love the access neck heel on those guitars.

Why not adjust the truss rod now instead of 'in the future'? 

How do you like the neck? How is the attention to detail on the execution of all it's appointments?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
In the future means a couple of days when I have the time to sit down and play with it. The neck, well I'll start from the back...

I didn't think I would like the painted back. I have a Jackson with a maple neck and a Gibson LP Tribute with I guess is bare mahogany. Turns out I like it so far. 

Where the frets meet the binding there are a couple of hairline lengthwise "splits", but you have to really look. Doesn't bother me. 

LOVING the ebony board. 

The tuning keys are great. Locking would have been a nice touch, but I haven't really had tuning problems. 

The access heel, or whatever it's called, isn't too much of a big deal until you go back to an LP that doesn't have one and play in the higher frets. 

Overall, it looks well made. No obviously defects in the paint or binding, and it plays fairly well for not being set up to my liking. I have put 10-52's on it which is what I normally play. 

Leave the truss rod alone.
If you don't NEED relief, don't add it.
And if you've not adjusted a truss rod and if you don't have feeler gauges and a straight edge, please don't use the "rule of thumb" crap information that litters the internet ("use a credit card, use a business card, use a playing card" and "hold the string down at the 24th fret, 22nd fret, 19th fret, 17th fret.."). Learn how to do it properly, and with the proper tools. Using the string and some piece of paper/cardboard/plastic to set relief has always been a last-ditch resort, not the first choice.

I like the idea of that guitar, with the Axcess-style neck heel -- it makes sense.

Be glad you have a gloss black guitar rather than a satin black guitar. Greasy finger prints are a LOT tougher to get rid of with the matte finish...

But I"m SO tired of black guitars altogether. I've got way more than I ever meant to have, but that's largely because the deals on used gear just sort of fell to me that way, and because cosmetics are farther down on the list than playability and sound.
Quote by dspellman
Leave the truss rod alone.
If you don't NEED relief, don't add it.
And if you've not adjusted a truss rod and if you don't have feeler gauges and a straight edge, please don't use the "rule of thumb" crap information that litters the internet ("use a credit card, use a business card, use a playing card" and "hold the string down at the 24th fret, 22nd fret, 19th fret, 17th fret.."). Learn how to do it properly, and with the proper tools. Using the string and some piece of paper/cardboard/plastic to set relief has always been a last-ditch resort, not the first choice.

I like the idea of that guitar, with the Axcess-style neck heel -- it makes sense.

Be glad you have a gloss black guitar rather than a satin black guitar. Greasy finger prints are a LOT tougher to get rid of with the matte finish...

But I"m SO tired of black guitars altogether. I've got way more than I ever meant to have, but that's largely because the deals on used gear just sort of fell to me that way, and because cosmetics are farther down on the list than playability and sound.

When fretting the first and last fret, all strings touch all frets. I have all of the tools and information needed to do the job. We can debate the need for neck relief all day long, just as oil filters, synthetic vs. standard, 45 vs. 9mm, whatever. I've deduced this down to a preference. 
Quote by sixtwovw1
When fretting the first and last fret, all strings touch all frets. I have all of the tools and information needed to do the job. We can debate the need for neck relief all day long, just as oil filters, synthetic vs. standard, 45 vs. 9mm, whatever. I've deduced this down to a preference. 

Go nuts, then.
Great guitars, had to sell mine due to having a custom built. 

But I'd love another one.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100