So I have had this issue since I bought my les paul junior about 2 years back where there is a weird noise that sounds like it's rattling against something as the string vibrates creating a really bad sound that was just horrible. To this point I've had no luck stopping it until I played with a capo this morning and realized the sound kinda went away. Any advice on how to fix this? 

BTW: The sound does come through he amp as well as a high pitched noise that just sounds awful.
Ediy:I've hunted down the 2 problem strings as being E (low) and A and the noise stops when you fret the 4th fret on E (low) and 3rd fret on A
Last edited by tony00237 at Jul 9, 2017,
One of the 1st things I check on a guitar if I hear a strange bad rattle going on is the tuning keys/knobs.  You could simply have a loose tuning key or 2 that rattles from the resonance of some of your strings/notes.  Just make sure the little screw on the end of the knobs are snug and also make sure the little nut on the shaft of the tuning pegs (on the front of the headstock) are also all snug.  
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Jul 9, 2017,
Quote by Way Cool JR.
One of the 1st things I check on a guitar if I hear a strange bad rattle going on is the tuning keys/knobs.  You could simply have a loose tuning key or 2 that rattles from the resonance of some of your strings/notes.  Just make sure the little screw on the end of the knobs are snug and also make sure the little nut on the shaft of the tuning pegs (on the front of the headstock) are also all snug.  

I had this problem on an Epiphone g400. It had the vintage style tuners. I hit the open string that caused the noise and then pressed on the back of each tuner until I found the one that made it stop. 
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09