Hello!

I've been playing guitar for about ten years as a hobby and am finally looking into getting a new amplifier that I can still be happy with 10-20 years down the road. I typically only play at home but was hoping to get some suggestions on what type of amp would deliver the best sound in my budget (300-600). I enjoy learning as much as I can from nearly every genre and would want an amp that is versatile with its sound. My guitar currently is a takamine gx-200 electric guitar and I know I know I would need to upgrade that in the near future as well. I had looked at the marshal code amp however my brother who has been playing for about 15 years suggested to stay away from amps with Built in effects.

What are some of the amps I should be looking at and should I focus on getting stand alone pedals rather than an amp which has them all?

Thank you!
Where in the world are you? 
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Cool guitar. I played one ages ago. I think it came stock with DiMarzio pups.

Not sure about the durability of the newer modern amps lasting 20 years but other than that, based on your wanting to move from genre to genre another , one option is to have an amp with a nice clean tone and use it as a pedal platform to dial in specifics. You might call it the David Gilmour approach. 
Guitaraxe
I did a little research on my guitar a few years ago and they seem pretty rare?

Any suggestions on a good, clean amp? I was hoping hoping to at least get an amp with a good distortion. I currently have the boss ds-1, flanger, and chorus pedal. I next pedal I would want to get would be a delay
Quote by kylegregory1028
Guitaraxe

Any suggestions on a good, clean amp? I was hoping hoping to at least get an amp with a good distortion. I currently have the boss ds-1, flanger, and chorus pedal. I next pedal I would want to get would be a delay

I was thinking about something like a DSL40, but I'm not sure what the market's like over there.

I'll be suggesting a 20W Jet City head and cab for now though.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
A used Peavey JSX combo would suit you really well.

Carvin V3M is a good choice too.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by kylegregory1028
Guitaraxe

Some kind of Fender is nice as a clean platform but they are not really known for having good distortion from the amp. For channel switching amp for clean / Gain (imo) it would depend on what kind of gain and gain flavors you want. The Marshall Fisheth24'  mentions for example will give you plenty of Marshall flavored dirt tones from classic to modern with cleans that you may like. 
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is a great amp.  Really nice cleans and takes pedals really well. It has a dirt channel but it is nothing special, I would use pedals for distortion. The Marshall DSL40C is more versatile with good cleans and a pretty usable gain channel. The crunch on the Marshall sounds really great. While the amp does not produce cleans as nice as the Fender, it is an all rounder amp with good cleans, great crunch and good distorted channel with various voicings.

In my opinion the Fender is great for jazz and blues (with pedals it is capable rock distorted tones) while the Marshall sound more 80's cleans and Trash Metal.

Another great sounding amp but is more of a 1 trick pony, the VOX AC15/AC30. The VOX come with way better stock speakers than the Marshall and the Fender.
Last edited by Gab_Azz at Jul 9, 2017,
I have a Fender HRD, and is is a solid piece of amp. Hate the drive channel on it though- if you get one, use pedals for your dirt. The Fender Bassbreaker amps, though, CAN bring some good distortion to the table. Some are in your budget new, but most, you'd have to go used to find in your budget.

Carvin's Vintage series amps- the 16, Nomad & Belair- are like that HRD in that regard. Great cleans; bad dirt. Worthy of consideration, but you WILL be needing dirt pedals.

Carvin's V3M, V3 or Vai Legacy amps, OTOH, can bring the dirt on their own. All worth a look, but only the V3M is in your price range new. The others you'd need to go used.

The Peavey Delta Blues 115 is a nice combo in your price range (used), but again, is one you'd need pedals to get real dirt out of.

Quilter heads are solid state, but they're not modelers. You'd need a cab, obviously, but the 2 smallest ones are $150 or $300, and bring a lot to the table. Again, though, not going to do metal without pedals.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by AniruddhaBiswas
kylegregory1028
Get Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18 head and Fulltone OCD overdrive pedal. These two will beat anything in same price range.

no.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Not sure if they are around down in your market but Traynor amps are worth looking into, a YCV40 combo is similar to a Fender HRD, slightly better drive channel IMO but pedals would still probably be the go to for rock tones. The YCV50 has a more marshall sounding clean channel and has a good dirt channel, if you can find a used YCS50 its a really versatile amp and could do pretty much anything you want except for metal.