The other night I was given an Ibanez RG 370DX for free by a friend because it is around 15 years old and has sat in the back of the store. The frets are slightly rusty and the action is insanely high. I have read a lot of terrible things about it online but a lot of the criticisms are towards the fact that at that time you could purchase other guitars more worth your money. Having gotten this for free if it is at all useable then it is definitely worth it to me. I love the fret access and the skinny feel of the neck. My big questions are, is this guitar worth the money and effort fixing, what pickups would you guys recommend for playing classic NWOBHM/Power Metal, what options are there for replacement tremolo's and where could I purchase one.
Get the guitar in a playable condition first before putting any money into it. Polish the frets with 8000 grit sandpaper, restring with a brand new set of strings, do a full setup, check that the frets are all level etc.

If the guitar plays really well, it might be worth putting a little bit of money into it. With that said, I think the Korean 370's either came with the Edge III or the LO-TRS trem, both of which are really pretty poor bridges. Most people I know who have owned these guitars just block the bridge off as after a while, the bridge really struggles to stay in tune. The pickups in those guitars were pretty poor as well. But how good the pickups are doesn't matter if your amp sucks.

Honestly despite their popularity, they really weren't particularly good guitars. Quite a lot of money needs to be sunk into them to get them passable and by the time you do get them passable, you've spend more than half of what the guitar itself was worth when it was brand new. In which case you should've just bought a better guitar to begin with.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Thread was moved to forum: Gear Building & Customizing
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
. Quite a lot of money needs to be sunk into them to get them passable and by the time you do get them passable, you've spend more than half of what the guitar itself was worth when it was brand new. In which case you should've just bought a better guitar to begin with.

darklordofhell

Free guitar if it plays good it's worth investing in especially if you can keep the spending down.

If the guitar gets set up and plays well pickup upgrades can always be found reasonably priced on eBay or Craiglist, I believe the Schaller branded OFR will drop right in can be found for less than $150 new on eBay if you can get it playing good and find a set of pickups for around $100 or less then grab the Schaller and have a decent guitar for around $250.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Schaller-Guitar-Bridges/41407/bn_3129065
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge