Hi guys!

So some weeks ago, I went into a store to buy some strings, and naturally I came out with a new guitar. Its a JT Forrest telecaster copy. It was dirt cheap at 170€, but the neck is phenomenal, and it actually sounds decent. Obviously there are things that need atention, so im planing to change the tuners, nut, the bridge for a modern style one with individual saddle adjustment, and so on. 

Now, i also wanna change the pickups, or at least the bridge pickup. I was thinking some kind of SD hotrail, a single sized humbucker. I want it to have a little more bite in the bridge position. But now i have no idea if the bridge pickup is standard singlecoil size, or, because its angled, it has to be slightly bigger? I see Seymour Duncan selling telecaster bridge pickups, but are they any differnet, than normal hotrails for example?

Also, if you guys could recommend some good single coil sizec pickups that can get me into hard rock territory, with slightly beefier tone than normal singlecoils, i would be very apreciative. Budget is not a really big issue, but i dont wanna put To expensive pickups on there, so yeah. Maybe up to 100€ for the bridge pickup. Im actuallay quite happy with the neck.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
This is my favourite tele pickup.
https://www.riograndepickups.com/dirty-harry-for-tele-bridge
It's basically a P90 in a single coil housing. It's a good thing. 
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Tele bridge pickups have baseplates, and are generally all mounted angled. Something like a Hot Rails for Tele is designed to fit perfectly within a Tele cavity. Every pickup on our site has a link to the exact dimensions, so get a good ruler and measure the current pickup you have. Chances are it is the standard size. 
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by Mincer
Tele bridge pickups have baseplates, and are generally all mounted angled. Something like a Hot Rails for Tele is designed to fit perfectly within a Tele cavity. Every pickup on our site has a link to the exact dimensions, so get a good ruler and measure the current pickup you have. Chances are it is the standard size. 

Hey, as long as you've popped in here...if I were looking for a set of pickups that epitomized stock "tele"-ness (IOW, if I wanted to make a cheap and very standard tele an expensive tele soundwise), what would I be looking at in the SD catalog? Something a really good chikken-pikker or an ancient, rotting Rolling Stone would recognize instantly and be comfortable with?
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 10, 2017,
Certainly the Vintage Broadcaster Tele set. 
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Tele single coils are their own special size.  The neck pickup is smaller than a standard strat single and the bridge is larger than a strat single.  A tele bridge also has 3 mounting screws rather than the standard 2.  If you are getting an aftermarket bridge pickup for your tele you need to be sure it's a tele size pickup.

If the tele comes with humbucker or p90's then that is a different story.  Any standard size humbucker will fit into a tele designed for humbuckers and any standard size p90 will fit into a tele designed for p90's
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jul 10, 2017,
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
^the TV Jones Starwood is a very sexy pickup.  Everything they make is pure magic and I'm saying that as a guy who makes his living winding pickups.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by Mincer
Certainly the Vintage Broadcaster Tele set. 

Okay, that goes to the top of the list.
I was also interested in a set that SD did for Hayley McLean:

"a set of custom 53' tapped tele pick ups from Seymour Duncan.
5 way switching with 2 different wiring configurations for the bridge pick up; one is wound super hot (we shall call this 'bridge 2') and the other is in the same neighbourhood as a regular bridge tele pup (bridge 1). Using 'bridge 2' aka the super hot pup almost acts like a boost...I'm finding it great for more distorted leads, and bridge 1 is perfect for a bright, lightly distorted country tone."

Is that a stock item, and if not, how would I order those?
Quote by Mincer
That sounds like a Custom Shop 53 Tapped Tele: http://customshop.seymourduncan.com/53-tapped-tele/
It is a Custom Shop pickup, so hit the 'contact form' on the Custom Shot to order one. 

Found it.
I had a guy hire me for a cah-huntry undt Schving band gig based on a quick demo on a Variax JTV-89F (which has a tele model). He liked the sound and my miserable-ass playing, but not the look (it looks like a twin-humbucker metal guitar). Must.Be.A.Tele. Ack. Something like this happened eight or nine years ago, but it needed to be a *Gibson* Les Paul ("none of that copycat crap") and it needed a trem and I hate Bigsbys.

Along the way, some of these demo folks really pissed me off. They're amazing. Rodney Gene, Somebody Booke, Kris Richards. Gene in particular is enough to make you want to burn your guitars and take up something that doesn't involve eye-hand coordination. He's ripping off licks and I'm getting all squinty and running the vid back to see what the hell is going on there. Guy must live in Texas and drink the water downstream of Austin.

In any case, it looks like my passive/aggressive shunning of "real" teles is about to end, but I'm only going to toe-dip -- it'll be a couple of very cheap teles with sets of pickups that will probably cost more than the rest of the guitar. He didn't say it had to read "Fender" on the headstock.
dspellman

Sooooo...G&L Tributes? Or cheap?

I have to say I'm too much of a contrarian to do what you've done and are contemplating, TBH.

... Unless I were part of a band that was trying for a coherent image, of course. Like The Hives. Or Lisa Marie Presley's band when they were all using white & gold Gretsch gear.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Rosepickups.com has numerous Tele pickups that can get the sound and tone you want.. Ken is a great winder..
These are some of the Tele bridge pickups..
BUCKAROO: "Bakersfield tone, Classic Vintage Telecaster, "Beef, Honk, Twang"

ALBA: Overwound, Overdrive, Some Twang, Classic Rock

FREEDOM T-90: Collaborative design from customers, P-90 tone without modification to Tele. Custom "Rose Only steel threaded cores" No phenolic cores... We do not take short cuts.

APHRODITE: Subtle Tele spank, Less mid range

I prefer stratocaster single coil.. but there are numerous demo on youtube.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
dspellman

Sooooo...G&L Tributes? Or cheap?

I have to say I'm too much of a contrarian to do what you've done and are contemplating, TBH.

Not sure.
My plan was cheap. No, dirt cheap. Good pickups, good setup and maybe pull the pickups after.

Gotta remember that I've done things that will make you weep. Big bands that travel with a wardrobe of exactly the same jacket in all sizes. I was a pickup when the piano player took ill in Cuba City Wisconsin. "Here's the music" - sheet music in pencil scrawl. "And we might have you play through breaks and maybe fill in when we break into a quartet. Hope you don't need to pee too often."

I think they're trying to decide if they want me to wear a hat and go full cowboy or grow some scruff and go outlaw. It's all costuming. Here's the latest, though. "You got a Les Paul?" <*supressed snort*>. "We might do a couple of things with that. And bring that thing you were playing when you came in; the pointy one." I have a feeling this one is going in the book. Celebrities and rich people at a private party. Fingerprinting and a background check coming up?
Go scruffy. Cowboy boots, for all their beauty & coolness*, are not all that comfy to stand in.

* I have 4 pair

gorkyporky I've stumbled across John Anthony Guitars(JAG) a pickup maker in England, and bought one of his hand wound Charlie Christian pickups for a 1930's Old Kraftsman archtop I restored.  I picked it up for about $70 shipped to the US, and it has the perfect tone for it's purpose.  In looking at his website, I noticed he has a number of Telecaster conversions with  Charlie Christian pick-ups in both neck and bridge positions, as well as many other pickup types/uses.  Look up the 'Baytone' line on his website.  You can also find some of his offerings on eBay.  Good luck.
Charlie Christians are a nice option. I have one in the bridge of a teleclone I own.

Somewhere between a regular singlecoil and a P90, tonally.

You'd have at least one guaranteed fan...

The Fender Modern Players are very good. All they need is new pups and bridge and they rock. I bought the P90 loaded thinline. I dropped a Hipshot bridge into it and a pair of Seymour Duncan Hot P90's. And it has Fender written on the headstock (if that matters). With everything being done by CNC routers and PLEK machines I can't see how being made in China makes any difference at all. You just need to replace the cheap hardware and you're good to go.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification