First a bit of history to educate me a bit, does anybody know when Fender went from the 8 to the 11 hole pickguard? On a side note for extra credit, do you remember what they said was the reason for the change. Lastly has anyone ever replaced an 8 hole guard with an 11? Does the 11 fit just the same once you drill a couple extra holes?  I have to believe that Fender must have had, what in their mind at least,  was a valid reason to change over.
Mid-'59 was the changeover? I think Vintage bodies are still drilled for 8.
The 11 hole doesn't fit all the same holes as the 8.
Note that there were a few 9 and 10-hole pickguards during the transition, and that there are at least two variants on the 11-hole pickguard (holes in different places).

They did it because the 11-hole provides MUCH more sustain.

"They did it because the 11-hole provides MUCH more sustain "  

That being the case wouldn't it be very worth considering changing from an 8 hole to an 11 hole guard if all you needed to do is drill a few more holes, or is there more to it than that?
Last edited by Arrawin at Jul 11, 2017,
Quote by Arrawin
 "They did it because the 11-hole provides MUCH more sustain "  

That being the case wouldn't it be very worth considering changing from an 8 hole to an 11 hole guard if all you needed to do is drill a few more holes, or is there more to it than that?
He's teasing. It's actually to help reduce the hum from the single coils. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Without doing any research whatsoever, the only possible reason I can see for increasing the number of mounting screws would be to secure the scratch plate more firmly - particularly on the lower edge around the blade switch, where there was previously a long run not being held down.