I'm flying out for a 6 week tour. I don't trust the baggage handlers with my ac15hw, and I'll get charged ridiculous $$ to fly it anyway.

What are my options?
Laptop with interface and amp sim directly to PA?
Are there any good pedals that do amp sims with out needing a real amp?
Any other ideas?
Quote by jpaolilli
I'm flying out for a 6 week tour. I don't trust the baggage handlers with my ac15hw, and I'll get charged ridiculous $$ to fly it anyway.

What are my options?
Laptop with interface and amp sim directly to PA?
Are there any good pedals that do amp sims with out needing a real amp?
Any other ideas?

What is the genre of music being played? What's your budget? What is your time frame for finding a solution? Where is the gig?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
This is why you see a ton of acts going with a Kemper or Axe FX.   What's your budget?  The Atomic Amplifire or Line6 Helix may be good options too.  
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
It's a country gig. I'm gonna take a look at the helix and maybe find a used one. I'd like to spend under $500.
Atomic AmpliFire all day. Sounds awesome, very flexible and is way more portable than any other comparable modeling amp sims on the market.

It's $600 new, but it ticks all the boxes for what you're looking for.

Download all of M.Britt's presets for an awesome country/blues tone and you're good to go.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Why isn't cost a non-issue (because all costs are deductible either by you or whomever is hiring you)?
Either you or them just needs to get what's needed however desired and expense it as a deduction.
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
Quote by jpaolilli
It's a country gig. I'm gonna take a look at the helix and maybe find a used one. I'd like to spend under $500.

The Helix & AmpliFire are excellent suggestions. The one issue I could see is taking the time to getting YOUR sound out of it. I mean, there is no doubt that you could; it's a just question of luck and patience dialing it in because they have so many options.

I will suggest a Quilter head. A 45 or 101 will only set you back $150-300. And since they're not modelers, you'd be using your pedals to get your sound. Given the gig and the way Quilters are voiced, I don't think you'd have much knob twiddling to do.

If the first stop on the tour is a big enough city, you could probably pick up something like a used Peavey Delta Blues 115 or Fender HRD when you get there.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by PlusPaul
Why isn't cost a non-issue (because all costs are deductible either by you or whomever is hiring you)?
Either you or them just needs to get what's needed however desired and expense it as a deduction.

Not really the real world though.  Just because something is deductible doesn't mean you have the cash to splurge.

Also, it's pretty likely this is a self-funded self-booked tour.  The money situation is sketch, and you cant roll into a venue and tell them they owe you extra money because you had to drop it on some equipment.  
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
Quote by Badluckpalms
Not really the real world though.  Just because something is deductible doesn't mean you have the cash to splurge.

Also, it's pretty likely this is a self-funded self-booked tour.  The money situation is sketch, and you cant roll into a venue and tell them they owe you extra money because you had to drop it on some equipment.  

Especially since the OP has all the necessary gear, but is choosing not to use it out of an abundance of caution regarding the risk of damage and expense of proper transport.

If there's a good PA system with a decent monitor available, a modeler (such as the ones suggested, above) is pretty much all you need. I'd suggest something that has a built-in expression pedal. You can work up your sounds and your set list with a powered studio monitor at home (user presets are your friend) and then make minor changes at a sound check if necessary (and if possible). Take along a bag of cables and the manual for your new modeler (it will save your butt at least once).
For a country gig Tonelab LE does Brad Paisley/Vince Gill tones great.  Find em used for around $200.  Also my favorite pocket sized hybrid amp that fits in carryon bags, SuperChamp XD.  It has pretty sweet Fender Deluxe and Vox AC30 voices and will cover chickn' pickn' Tele tones well.  Find em used for $250.

Both will cover a bare bones tour as long as the venues have a decent PA.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
The Atomic is a powerful tool and in your budget. I suggest checking it out.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I can also vouch for the AmpliFire, having been part of the domino effect in this subforum where everyone's going Red. Great sounds, tonnes of versatility, and the price is absolutely right for what you get in there. However, it may or may not be the case that such a piece of gear is something suited to your needs long-term. The AmpliFire is really handy and can shine in a lot of useful roles, but if you tend to need a pretty simple rig, you're happy with your present setup and this kind of situation isn't likely to happen again, it might just be easier and cheaper to rent an amp on this occasion.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Just a caution; before you buy an Amplifire based on forum advice, be sure to ask how many of those offering the advice actually own one.
"I've viewed a multitude of videos and..." Fooey.

I don't have one, I've seen the videos and I've actually tried the thing out at amp shows, but not enough to give an informed opinion based on sound.
I think Cajundaddy owns one, but I'm not sure who else does.

While you're thinking about it, wander through some of these patches (for NOT Amplifire) to see what you can do with modelers (Line 6, Boss and Fractal represented here).
Quote by dspellman
Just a caution; before you  buy an Amplifire based on forum advice, be sure to ask how many of those offering the advice actually own one.

I don't have one, I've seen the videos and I've actually tried the thing out at amp shows, but not enough to give an informed opinion based on sound.
I think Cajundaddy owns one, but I'm not sure who else does.

While you're thinking about it, wander through some of these patches (for NOT Amplifire) to see what you can do with modelers (Line 6, Boss and Fractal represented here).

Literally everybody who recommended an Amplfire in this thread except for 1 person owns one FWIW.

Cathbard is the one that owns one too not cajundaddy. 
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Technically, I endorsed the recommendation, so that's what, .5 of a recommendation? (And I don't own one.)

I'm a bad person.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Technically, I endorsed the recommendation, so that's what, .5 of a recommendation? (And I don't own one.)

I'm a bad person.

Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by dspellman
Just a caution; before you buy an Amplifire based on forum advice, be sure to ask how many of those offering the advice actually own one.
I definitely have one, which is why I said I can vouch for it. It all happened fairly recently, but the sudden appearance of so many recommendations for the AmpliFire corresponds directly to a sudden increase in people on here owning one. Could be the new 6505

The AmpliFire suits my needs, and evidently suited other people's needs on here, because even if it lacks more expensive units' scope for very in-depth tweaking, it really delivers on tone at a price where there aren't all that many "serious" modellers yet and because it wears pretty much as many hats as you can run its outputs into and sounds good doing it.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Nope, I do not personally own an Ampli Fire but I have done a bit of noodling on one.  Pretty sweet tones and an intuitive interface that doesn't carpet bomb you with 10k unnecessary options guitarists never use.  Just the stuff you need and it's reasonably easy to tweak to taste.  I'm not ready to sell all my amps yet but this may find a place in my kit at some point.  Worth a look if you are considering a DMFX to get your tone.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by dspellman
I do! I do!
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I definitely have one, which is why I said I can vouch for it. It all happened fairly recently, but the sudden appearance of so many recommendations for the AmpliFire corresponds directly to a sudden increase in people on here owning one. Could be the new 6505

The AmpliFire suits my needs, and evidently suited other people's needs on here, because even if it lacks more expensive units' scope for very in-depth tweaking, it really delivers on tone at a price where there aren't all that many "serious" modellers yet and because it wears pretty much as many hats as you can run its outputs into and sounds good doing it.

Erm... First, it's a good basic unit with decent sound, courtesy of Studio Devil. Second, part of the reason that it's a good unit is that it accepts IRs.
I'm not sure that I agree with some of the assessments (bearing in mind, please, that I'm not denigrating the unit, just pointing out a few things).

I'd also point out that Ultimate Guitar, in part because a lot of its users can't get (due to location) or can't afford higher end gear, will tend to fix on what they can get and what they can afford. And there are a LOT more beginners on this board than on some others.

I have no problems with the recommendation for the Amplifire, but I'm in a different boat than those doing a toe-dip transition from an amp to a modeler. Prior to the Helix, my go-to-modeler was the HD500X which, at $499 was an excellent piece, and even more excellent at the cheaper used price I paid. But having worked with higher-end modelers as well, I realized that the weak points on the HD were its cabinet sims. At one point I augmented that with a pedal that provided IRs (and power amp sims that were surprising in and of themselves). I wouldn't have realized what the HD500 was missing if I'd never worked with a better modeler.

So it's not just about odd tweaks that you'll never use.

There's a mono-out, stereo return FX loop on the Amplifire. The return input is shared with the Aux In. You can't use both at the same time. On the Helix, however, you have four stereo-out, stereo-return FX loops that you can drop into FX routing anywhere and in any combination. And if you use FX loops extensively (there are SIX on an old all-tube preamp I own), you'll know that it can about a lot more than simply sticking an effect in there. Not an option on the Amplifire. And you can't run the Aux In at the same time you're choosing an FX loop in your routing.

There's a microphone input on the Helix that includes 48V phantom power. You can't consider whether this is something you could use on the Amplifire because it doesn't exist. You can run up to three Expression pedals on the Helix (and one is included). You'll need to buy one (or two) for the Amplifire if you want to use them for wah or volume. The Helix allows you to run two completely separate rigs and use the Expression pedal to blend between them or you can assign an effect parameter to one or bring the effect overall into the picture with one or... There's a built in amp switcher (two of them) output, and that, too, can be incorporated into the routing in a preset. Not on the Amplitube, of course. There's a six-inch screen that you can use to do editing on the fly. Take another look at the one on the Amplitube. That six-inch color screen is extremely easy to see live. Not much to see on the Amplitube. The switches can be set to automatically change color when you're in a different mode or using a specific effect on the Helix. They can be barely touched to set up a change and then stomped to effect the change. There are scribble strips (actually small LED screens) that remind you which switch does what on the Helix. There's a whole digital output suite on the Helix.

If the Amplitube is all you need, then it's an excellent purchase. Some folks don't know they need something until they see what it can do. Set your phone down for a week and walk away. Don't touch it. The iPhone has only been around for 10 years. Think back about what you said you really didn't need in a phone...
Set your phone down for a week and walk away. Don't touch it.

I left mine at home when I went to Russia for 2 weeks. I took mine when I went back to Rome for a similar period in 2015- not by choice.

Though I'm glad I took it to Rome for several reasons, in many ways, the Russian trip was much more fun.

dspellman
Uhhh, okay? I said it does the job great for the price, not that there aren't reasons to get substantially more expensive units. In this instance, I explicitly questioned in my first post whether a new piece of gear was necessary at all, and I am eminently aware that there are features I'd like in the AmpliFire that aren't there. If OP wants to get a whole new piece of gear for this, the AmpliFire's price is right, it sounds good, and it's got plenty of versatility for a live setup. I'm recommending it to someone who presumably doesn't have extensive experience in modellers already, who says he's got a $500 budget, and is flying to a gig. I think the AmpliFire probably comes up a little over that budget but it's in the ballpark, and I know it works. Meanwhile your familiarity with the unit doesn't seem to extend even so far as remembering its name for the entirety of your post. No shit a £1000 modeller has options that a £500 modeller doesn't, and no shit they add value or you'd have a hard time selling the £1000 modeller. You don't need to justify that purchase to me, I'm 100% on board with the "if you want to and can..." argument anyway, and if I wasn't I could still see the value in the costlier unit.

If I worked at Guitar Center or PMT I might spend my time telling people that they need to double their budget. As it is, I'm recommending the AmpliFire because I know it fits the niche OP needs filled, and I know it gets pretty close to the price range. Simple.

And as for the questionable phone analogy, I survived with a Nokia brick until less than a year ago and it didn't do me any harm so short of some variety of long-term poisoning to which Motorola is continuously administering an antidote I'm sure I'd live. I guess I might feel slightly bad about losing my Snapchat streaks.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
No.

(I did hum it a few times, though. )

Quote by K33nbl4d3
dspellman
Uhhh, okay? I said it does the job great for the price, not that there aren't reasons to get substantially more expensive units. In this instance, I explicitly questioned in my first post whether a new piece of gear was necessary at all, and I am eminently aware that there are features I'd like in the AmpliFire that aren't there. If OP wants to get a whole new piece of gear for this, the AmpliFire's price is right, it sounds good, and it's got plenty of versatility for a live setup. I'm recommending it to someone who presumably doesn't have extensive experience in modellers already, who says he's got a $500 budget, and is flying to a gig. I think the AmpliFire probably comes up a little over that budget but it's in the ballpark, and I know it works. Meanwhile your familiarity with the unit doesn't seem to extend even so far as remembering its name for the entirety of your post. No shit a £1000 modeller has options that a £500 modeller doesn't, and no shit they add value or you'd have a hard time selling the £1000 modeller. You don't need to justify that purchase to me, I'm 100% on board with the "if you want to and can..." argument anyway, and if I wasn't I could still see the value in the costlier unit.

If I worked at Guitar Center or PMT I might spend my time telling people that they need to double their budget. As it is, I'm recommending the AmpliFire because I know it fits the niche OP needs filled, and I know it gets pretty close to the price range. Simple.

And as for the questionable phone analogy, I survived with a Nokia brick until less than a year ago and it didn't do me any harm so short of some variety of long-term poisoning to which Motorola is continuously administering an antidote I'm sure I'd live. I guess I might feel slightly bad about losing my Snapchat streaks.

Agreed. 
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
OP, might be chiming in a bit late on this, but I will anyhow.

Best thing to do is to get a venue rider and ask for some kind of generic amp that is available in pretty much all major areas.
Rock bands usually request some kind of Marshall on their rider for the gigs, usually a DSL JCM2000 as those are ubiquitous.
For country Fender 65 or Blues Deluxe would be good and any major market will have it. Roland Jazz Chorus might be another option.
Then you can take something that is all in one and do the gig with it, like these:

and maybe a few other pedals to complement.

As long as you have a clean tube power you should be fine with these.

If you're a huge fan of the AC30 amps, look into Sansamp TRI-AC, which is an amazing programmable all analog 3 channel pedal, you'll have to hunt them down used.
H&K Tubeman is another great option as it has Redbox emulated and amp out so it could be used either/or, and it is a 3 channel H&K preamp. Great sounds all round, one of the best cleans IMO for country.

You can also look at small portable amps, like the H&K range of TUbemeister series. They're hybrid, have direct out with Redbox emulation.
http://hughes-and-kettner.com/products/tubemeister/tubemeister-deluxe-edition/tubemeister-deluxe-20/

You can also look at lunchbox amps, I have a Mesa Mini Rectifier that actually has great cleans and pushed mode, you might look at other too, Carvin v3m, the Kustom Defender (great very cheap clean to hairy clean/pushed amp), others available too.

Then ask the venue just to add a rental speaker...or ask for a head and a 4x12 cab, use just the cab, they don't have to know in advance, that way you have more options.

Last, but not least, you can also get some small sized modelers with built in amps, or small sized class D amp heads, like DV Mark:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers/dv-mark
or Quilter, etc.

or some little power amps, there are even pedal sized power amps (solid state class D):
Diago Little Smasher 5 watt, Quilter MicroBlock 45 watt

or preamp and power amp in one like the Taurus Stomphead
http://www.taurus-amp.pl/
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Cathbard is the one that owns one too not cajundaddy. 

They all look alike to me.
Okay, so if I were doing this pre-Helix, I would have just taken an HD500X (available at $300-350 used) and called it a day. You have all the sounds you need, including amps/cabs/FX, a tuner, all the switching you need and an expression pedal (wah/volume/FX parameter options) all in a single unit. Set up the sounds you need out of it, run it direct into a PA, job done.

There's a padded case with a shoulder strap available for it and room to carry a few cables as well. There are also hard cases that will fit it.
I think the biggest problem at this point is the speaker. I actually bought a $25 class D power amp that runs off of 16v adapter and will try it for guitar and see how it fares. If I put it in plexiglass enclosure (which costs another $5) I will have a $30 amp that runs 90 watts per side @8ohms, as long as it doesn't burn out on guitar. It is worth the try anyway.