::EDIT:: Solution Found!!! Thank you everyone for the help!!!! 

Hello,

I'm new here and I've been reading these forums for a while and people seem to be helpful. I have a 2002 Ibanez S370. I've been playing a lot more in the last year and now I've decided my tone needs improving since I've been improving a lot. I replaced my stock pickups to Seymour Duncan with a SH-4 JB on the neck, Quarter pound Strat, and an SH-6b Distortion on the bridge.

My question is why does my bridge pickup sound bright like a tin can. All my other pick ups sound great. A few metal songs I learned were meant to be played on the bridge pick up, but now they just sound so awful. I've tried playing with the height, I've tried different string and gauges. Am I doing something wrong? Maybe it's just a bad pick up for my guitar? 

I also use a Vox vt20+ for my amp. 

I've attached a PDF of my guitar. 
Attachments:
IMG_6708 PDF.pdf
"It means a lot to me that my darkness can connect with your darkness and make it OK." - James Hetfield

Guitar: Ibanez S370
Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head
w/Peavey 112 Speaker cab (Celestion Greenback)

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Last edited by Phantumgrey at Jul 13, 2017,
Hard to say for certain because it could be a handful of things. If you have $50 or so the easiest thing is to take it to a shop and watch the trouble-shooting process and ask a million questions.
mjbeggs88 That's probably not a bad idea. The only downfall is I'll have to look for a small shop that knows what they are doing. I hate Guitar Center so I'm not going there plus 10 times out of 10 they will be rude to me. 
"It means a lot to me that my darkness can connect with your darkness and make it OK." - James Hetfield

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Phantumgrey Agreed. I'm fortunate to have a handful of local mom n pops within a reasonable distance. I'll take it to whoever is available soonest if I can't figure it out myself. Once you get to know them they'll help you out a lot.

Speaker repair places are also pretty good with all kinds of electronics if you're positive the issue is pickups. Look on craigslist also. In my area i have a ton of luthiers looking for work (might he pricier and more difficult to schedule)

Good luck.
mjbeggs88 Thanks for the input. I'll keep messing with it until I find a local shop. I'm in north New Jersey so someone has got to be here.  

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Guitaraxe Yeah that's something I was looking at over the weekend. I thought maybe I had a cold joint or maybe I just wired it wrong. Seymour Duncan 5 switch wiring diagrams are useless so the wiring was all trial and error. I'm also not assuming just because I have sound means it's wired right. 

I'll attach a photo of my switch wiring. I'm not sure it helps anyone seeing this.  
Attachments:
Switch Wiring.pdf

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Is that a before re-wire switch pic'?

Also how are the new pups wired? Standard.... Full humbucker / Single /Full humbucker ?
Last edited by Guitaraxe at Jul 10, 2017,
Guitaraxe yes I'm sorry that's the original wiring. Ill have to photo the new wiring. I'm sorry. I'll upload a photo when I get back from the gym tonight and whenever you get back to me that's fine. I appreciate the help.

The new ones are Full hum/Single/Full Hum.

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
It's good that you took pic's of before.. that way you can use them to compare / troubleshoot. I would double check the pickup wires to see if you got the color code correct for wiring them straight up H-S-H. 

Checking over at the Duncan site..... see if you have the red/white wires together for full humbucker...green /bare to ground, etc...

[h][/h]

Last edited by Guitaraxe at Jul 10, 2017,
Guitaraxe Thx that diagram came with my pickups. I also used the wiring diagram for my guitar off the Ibanez site. I think I'm going to take it to someone to look at. I'm coming to the conclusion that it's just not a good pick up for my guitar and may have to install something else. Thanks for all your help. 

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Cool! 

Those locking trem systems have a lot of metal mass going for them and can cause some pups to sound shrill compared to other. DiMarzio pups have always been pretty popular with Ibanez RG and S models.
PhantumgreyGuitaraxe

There is no reason a Duncan JB should be sounding extraordinarily shrill unless it's wired wrong or defective. I have several guitars loaded with JBs in the bridge all with Floyds not one of them sounds shrill.

Also I noticed you have the other two pickups mounted backward sometimes getting the hot coil away from the bridge on the lead pickup will give it more balls, this is how Dimebag mounted all of his L500XL's I have my L500XL mounted the same way after trying both ways the 180 degree flip was the better sound.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Guitaraxe I'll look into that

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Evilnine So my bridge and Neck pickups are mounted backwards? I though the screws go out and the smooth parts go closer to the center? I just followed how the stock ones were installed so that's my mistake for not looking into the direction of install. That's an easy fix at least and maybe that's my problem. If my bridge pickup is listening closed to the bridge that would explain why its sound just like I was strumming on the bridge. 

That's my homework for now. 

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Evilnine I just looked around and I'm definitely noticing having the screws outside of the center is the correct way to mount. Am i misunderstanding what you're saying by them being mounted backwards? 

Believe me I know it's not the best reference but this site even shows the screws closer to the bridge and closer to the neck. 
http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Guitar-Pickups

I even attached a photo of Seymour's site. I think the writing on the PU is backwards but the screws and hots are oriented correctly. 
Attachments:
Installed PUs.pdf

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Last edited by Phantumgrey at Jul 11, 2017,
Quote by Phantumgrey
Evilnine I just looked around and I'm definitely noticing having the screws outside of the center is the correct way to mount. Am i misunderstanding what you're saying by them being mounted backwards? 

Believe me I know it's not the best reference but this site even shows the screws closer to the bridge and closer to the neck. 
http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Guitar-Pickups

I even attached a photo of Seymour's site. I think the writing on the PU is backwards but the screws and hots are oriented correctly. 

OK take a look at some other guitars on a music sight or somewhere on the net you'll notice the logos will all be on the coil nearest the bridge no b matter which pickup it is, basically facing the same way so you can read them all say if the guitar was on a stand or hanging on a wall hanger. Your bridge and middle pup are swapped around 180 degrees.

So your bridge pup is correct and your logos should all be facing that way.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jul 11, 2017,
Evilnine Oh ok. See I didn't know that. I just thought it was all screw orientation. I'll have to switch them around. I've also attached a photo of my switch wiring. 

I know the north and south should be twisted and soldered as per seymour diagram, but the only way the humbuckers would work and make sound was if they we wired to the 5 way switch the way I have them. (twisted white and red)  
Attachments:
IMG_6797.pdf

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
The diagram shows red and white twisted, soldered and taped together but not attached to the switch or volume pot.

Red and white together, green to volume pot, black to switch.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Evilnine I know what the diagram shows, but those two pick ups wouldn't work like that until I connected them to the switch. I got no sound out of them. Maybe I'll double check my grounds.

I just put on new strings but they are cheap enough. I need to switch those pickups around and take another shot at the wiring. 

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
I think I found my problem.

It looks like I have the twisted red/whites where the blacks should go (My strat center PU works great), and the twisted white/red may work just soldered and taped according to seymour duncan wiring diagrams.

I think I have the blacks or hots for my humbuckers tied into the shunts. I'm all messed up lol. 

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
this pdf may help. I labeled my wires. 
Attachments:
Cable detail and tags.pdf

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Evilnine I found the solution. I made a PDF showing how it's currently wired. I screwed it up. I have my hots backwards....they should be connected to the terminals I have the white/reds tied to. I have to switch them up. That explains why its only my Quarter Pound that sounds great and the others not so much. 
Attachments:
Cable detail and tags.pdf

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Quote by Phantumgrey
Evilnine I found the solution. I made a PDF showing how it's currently wired. I screwed it up. I have my hots backwards....they should be connected to the terminals I have the white/reds tied to. I have to switch them up. That explains why its only my Quarter Pound that sounds great and the others not so much. 

I'm glad you figured it out let me know what you think about that JB once it is working properly they are great pickups.

Fun fact JB actually stands for Jeff Beck as it was commisioned by Jeff the JB along with the JM were the first pups designed and built by Seymour Duncan both for Jeff Beck and while JM now stands for Jazz Model it originally stood for John Milner who was Beck's favorite character from George Lucas' first movie American Graffiti .
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jul 13, 2017,
Evilnine I will absolutely follow up once I've repaired my wiring. It won't happen until Saturday, but it will happen. I'm excited to see what I've been missing from these.

I knew the part about JB. That second part about the JM was cool. That I didn't know.

I'm also going to play around with disconnecting the ground from the switch so that in the 2 and 4 position my humbuckers don't auto split. when pair with my quarter pound. Any thought on that? I read on another site that I can be a good idea.  

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Evilnine I had a chance to fix my pickups last night. The SH-4 and Sh-6 Distortion sound........AMAZING!!!! This is exactly what I wanted out of my guitar.

I did notice however disconnecting the ground from the switch to stop the auto-split from 2,3,4 really lowers the output sound on setting 3. I probably have to adjust the high again on my Strat PU. Otherwise I can't wait to spend part of my day jamming tomorrow. 

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Phantumgrey
Quote by Phantumgrey
Evilnine I had a chance to fix my pickups last night. The SH-4 and Sh-6 Distortion sound........AMAZING!!!! This is exactly what I wanted out of my guitar.

I did notice however disconnecting the ground from the switch to stop the auto-split from 2,3,4 really lowers the output sound on setting 3. I probably have to adjust the high again on my Strat PU. Otherwise I can't wait to spend part of my day jamming tomorrow. 

Good to hear the JB and Distortion are great pups, I have a hand wound JB wound by long time custom shop guru and Duncan custom shop legend Maricela Juarez (look her up on google) it smoke my other production line JBs it still has that awesome JB sound nut it is more dynamic and screams harmonics effortlessly. I bought it for $20 from someone who didn't know what they had as they had never loaded it in guitar.

TbH it was only because I noticed a hand stamped sticker on the back that said JB-J that made me curious some research revealed the second J stood for Juarez these things go for $100+all day. I also have a Juarez wound Distortion that is it loaded into anything.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Evilnine Very nice. Obviously this is my first PU install, but I'm going to check out  Maricela Juarez. Sounds very interesting. Thanks for all the help. This forum is great. 

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Evilnine  Maricela Juarez has an amazing story. 

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Quote by Phantumgrey
Evilnine  Maricela Juarez has an amazing story. 

Yeah I was impressed by her celebrity clientel Mr. Van Halen and the like not too shabby

I sent you a friend request if you check your profile.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jul 14, 2017,
Evilnine My too! She's got quiet the career. Thank you for sharing that with me. I've always followed music pretty religiously. Now it's nice to know those behind the curtain. 

OK I'll check my profile. 

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive