Page 1 of 2
So I rescued this LP from the trash and I'm trying to determine if it's real or not. If so I want to get it refinished and sell it but it won't be profitable if it's a fake and based on the reading I've done I'm on the fence if it is real it wasn't treated like it deserved to be. Thoughts?

Quote by bmwm3comp1
based on the reading I've done I'm on the fence if it is real it wasn't treated like it deserved to be. Thoughts?

Well, some people just are massive idiots.

However, I'm not very knowledgeable on LPs but the serial returns:

Your guitar was made at the
Nashville Plant, TN, USA
on June 9th, 1993
Production Number: 11

So that could be a good sign, also the signature and the logo on the headstock look alright to me, but I'll leave that to
guys with more experience and eye on Gibbos.
Looks legit, surprisingly.

Seems very bizarre that someone would just dump an early-90's LP Studio. Those guitars are desirable as they're made at a time that's considered one of the better Gibson years, and they're some of the few years were LP Studios came with ebony fretboards.

My guess is that this guitar was stolen, and the thief who stole was trying to either dump it or hide it.
Quote by Keskimaki

However, I'm not very knowledgeable on LPs but the serial returns:

So that could be a good sign, also the signature and the logo on the headstock look alright to me, but I'll leave that to
guys with more experience and eye on Gibbos.

Not really. The S/N tells you virtually nothing about whether or not the guitar is genuine. All the Chinese sweatshops these days just copy the S/N off the real guitar they're copying and it'll come out as genuine on that guitar dater site. The only way you can reliably tell if a guitar is fake with the S/N is if it perfectly matches another guitar of the same model, or if it perfectly matches other guitars that are known to be Chinese fakes. Most Chinese sweatshops don't bother to use a unique S/N with every fake they build.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Yeah I'm guessing it was stolen and ditched or stashed for a later retrieval be careful if you ever try to sell it.

Or maybe some guy cheated on his wife and this was her revenge
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Damn I need to move. No Gibson's in the trash here. Not even a shitty hondo
Wow!! With a bit of work and some Goo Gone to remove that sticker it should clean up nicely. Think of it as authentically relic'd.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by bmwm3comp1
So I rescued this LP from the trash and I'm trying to determine if it's real or not. If so I want to get it refinished and sell it but it won't be profitable if it's a fake and based on the reading I've done I'm on the fence if it is real it wasn't treated like it deserved to be. Thoughts?

Looks mostly real. Could you do me a favor though and get a close up shot of the bridge? Maybe a closer shot of the front and back of the headstock as well.

Very peculiar that somebody would've tossed it. Could be like what others have mentioned and maybe it was a stolen guitar that got dumped or an exes revenge. Could also be the guitar has some structural damage or other issues that the owner decided it wasn't worth his time to fix so he chucked it. I would check if the neck is straight and not twisted and maybe give it a thorough cleaning so you can really check it out and see what's up.

Also I would check the pots and pickups to see if they weren't swapped out at any point. Either way, cool score man. I would flip if I found a Gibson in the trash.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Well I say dumped I meant some guy my gf dated over two years ago left it at her house and there it sat along with a boss me80 and a couple other small things. I helped her move a couple months ago and she was going to take all of it to the dump and I'm like hold up. It was completely covered in stickers when I initially discovered it, no strings on it and had some song lyrics written in paint marker on the back.

It very well may have been stolen I can't be certain and I didn't want to interrogate her about a past relationship. State law indicates that after 90 days property left unclaimed is considered abandoned so she was well within her means to discard it.

I don't know a ton about les Paul's either but I removed all the stickers all ready and that graphic is screen printed or something it's definitely not a sticker. That's primarily why I questioned its authenticity. A similar graphic is on the truss rod cover.

I tried a ton of different solovents and it's very resilient pretty certain it would need to be sanded

Also is that one volume knob supposed to look different??
Last edited by bmwm3comp1 at Jul 11, 2017,
H4T3BR33D3R

Yeah you bet, I actually take some hi res pics with my dslr when I get off of work today.

EDIT**
The pickups look to be stock the covers are really scratched up though. After doing some more searching this morning it would appear that it most likely wont be worth it to try and flip it as good condition LPs of the same age are going for about 650.00. Just to have it refinished Id be looking at 400, plus all the other little things such as new pickup covers etc... Maybe not such a great find after all.
Last edited by bmwm3comp1 at Jul 11, 2017,
Quote by bmwm3comp1
H4T3BR33D3R

Yeah you bet, I actually take some hi res pics with my dslr when I get off of work today.

EDIT**
The pickups look to be stock the covers are really scratched up though. After doing some more searching this morning it would appear that it most likely wont be worth it to try and flip it as good condition LPs of the same age are going for about 650.00. Just to have it refinished Id be looking at 400, plus all the other little things such as new pickup covers etc... Maybe not such a great find after all.

Why do you have to refinish it? Its not like the finish affects the playability of the guitar. Why bother flipping it even?

Did you pull the pickups out of the cavity to verify theyre stock or youre just guessing cause they look old and scratched?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Why do you have to refinish it? Its not like the finish affects the playability of the guitar. Why bother flipping it even?

Did you pull the pickups out of the cavity to verify theyre stock or youre just guessing cause they look old and scratched?

I have a ton of guitars that I already dont play I dont have the space or need for another. Im actually trying to part with some amps and pedals so I can downsize and make room for other hobbies.

I removed the covers and they are identical to some others pictured on the web and the wiring looks factory I guess I cant be 100 percent certain but appears that way.
Quote by bmwm3comp1
I have a ton of guitars that I already dont play I dont have the space or need for another. Im actually trying to part with some amps and pedals so I can downsize and make room for other hobbies.

I removed the covers and they are identical to some others pictured on the web and the wiring looks factory I guess I cant be 100 percent certain but appears that way.

If it works why not give it to somebody that might need it then?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Cool story.  

Naptha is a typical solution to use with nitro. 

Me, I would keep it. Early 90's LP-Studio in white with what looks like an ebony fret-board....for free...... but if I was going to sell I wouldn't go all out with a re-fin... I would clean it up, give it a set-up and throw up locally for a quick $500 or $700 or BO if you want to involve more.
Refinishing a guitar like that would be a nightmare. Not just in terms of cost, but refinishing the guitar without correcting all of the dings and dents would make the guitar look very strange after you've repainted it.

Flip it as is. Throw it up on ebay and see who bites.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Well I appreciate the advice. Maybe I'll try wet sanding and using some buffing/polishing compounds on it to see if I can at least partially restore the finish.

I agree with the local sale though, I don't do eBay/PayPal anymore they are scam artist.
Do you have experience with refinishing guitars?

If not I suggest just selling it as is. A half assed paint job isnt going to look better than a worn one and personally if I was buying and I had the choice between a worn one and a poorly refinished one you can bet your ass Ill go for the untampered one.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
H4T3BR33D3R

I have no aspirations to refinish it myself. No I don't but I have experience and equipment painting cars and know quite a bit about buffing/polishing. I don't have the time to refinish it anyways if I did I'd send it in but on a second glance I grossly underestimated the cost to refinish it's a lot closer to 1500-2000. Prob best to sell it as iS as you suggested.
Quote by bmwm3comp1
H4T3BR33D3R

I have no aspirations to refinish it myself. No I don't but I have experience and equipment painting cars and know quite a bit about buffing/polishing. I don't have the time to refinish it anyways if I did I'd send it in but on a second glance I grossly underestimated the cost to refinish it's a lot closer to 1500-2000. Prob best to sell it as iS as you suggested.

A complete refin wont cost you that much. I had a top done for 200 and I was quoted half what you were for a complete refin. Less if I was able to take the finish off.

If youre comfy with refining cars then you can probably do the guitar as well so long as you fill the dings.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
http://sbcustomfinish.com/order/pricing/

If I sent it as is it would be. The actual prep work would be incredibly time consuming plus I'd have to see how the actual finish is applied with autos its a two or three stage primer followed by a series of urethane base and clear coats then lots of buffing and polishing.

It looks really trashed as it sits wet sanding and buffing may restore some luster and even out the finish and would only take a couple hours. Then maybe some pickup covers and volume knobs that match won't look brand new but surely better than it does
Quote by bmwm3comp1
http://sbcustomfinish.com/order/pricing/

If I sent it as is it would be. The actual prep work would be incredibly time consuming plus I'd have to see how the actual finish is applied with autos its a two or three stage primer followed by a series of urethane base and clear coats then lots of buffing and polishing.

It looks really trashed as it sits wet sanding and buffing may restore some luster and even out the finish and would only take a couple hours. Then maybe some pickup covers and volume knobs that match won't look brand new but surely better than it does

You said it would cost you 1500-2000 for a refin. As far as I can see, you can get one done for 650 if you strip the guitar yourself and a little bit more if you are lazy. So where did the 1500-2000 come from? 

567 for a complete Nitro refin and 49 bucks for the carved top upcharge so?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
H4T3BR33D3R

Yeah I included the prep work in the quote I said as it sits. That's the most time consuming tedious part of the process. Actually spraying it is the easy part.
You said it would cost you 1500-2000 for a refin. As far as I can see, you can get one done for 650 if you strip the guitar yourself and a little bit more if you are lazy. So where did the 1500-2000 come from? 

567 for a complete Nitro refin and 49 bucks for the carved top upcharge so?[/QUOTE
That price came from thier les pual example they have at the bottom ]

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

567 for a complete Nitro refin and 49 bucks for the carved top upcharge so?[/QUOTE
That price came from thier les pual example they have at the bottom ]

Which isn't yours considering you have no binding, you can strip it yourself and take off the hardware so its nowhere near that price. 

That's literally the most expensive job because the guy wanted a complete refin on a bound, carved top guitar and wanted it to be as close as possible to original. 

Honestly, just leave the thing alone and sell it as is but a refin isn't as much as you're claiming. 
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by bmwm3comp1
Well I guess the question really is would it add enough value to justify paying for it?

Re-read my last sentence and you'll have what I think.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I see that.... personally I think cleaning it up and throwing some matching hardware will make it a little more desirable
Quote by bmwm3comp1
I see that.... personally I think throwing some matching hardware will make it a little more desirable

That's fair but:

Quote by bmwm3comp1
Well I guess the question really is would it add enough value to justify paying for it?

So do you think a new bridge (which you'll also have to probably have to slot the saddles for), tailpiece, pup covers (which you'll have to remove from the previous set and install) etc... will add enough value to justify paying for it?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by bmwm3comp1
I see that.... personally I think cleaning it up and throwing some matching hardware will make it a little more desirable

If it has an ebony board that would be the main selling point (imo). Other than that originality is something that most look for in general. That model guitar as far as Gibson's go isn't worth a lot. $900 tops in clean original condition with case (Stateside)... solid black about $700 easy enough.
Quote by bmwm3comp1

The only thing I'd do is put a black speed knob on the tone control that doesn't have one.

Replacing the bridge, tuners and pickup covers is a sunk cost that isn't going to make any money at all on a sale. It might even devalue the guitar and it would look really strange having such pristine looking hardware on such a beat up guitar.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
T00DEEPBLUE

I was thinking just the p/u covers and the knobs. If a good condition goes for 700 with a case this one is probably worth 400 maybe as it sits
i would use acetone to clean it up really good and see what you got going then.  acetone works wonders.   it might not look that bad.  
I'd just replace that wrong knob, maybe put some WD-40 on the toggle switch, and see if you can clean up the bits of sticker left. Oh, throw some Elixirs on there too. That's like $20 outlay to widen your buyers market as much as you can, and any more will be too far into diminishing returns, if profitable at-all. I wouldn't care at-all about the finish being knocked to death. Not worth the bother. Someone who doesn't wanna pay as much, or a punk rocker likes the battered look (who knows?!), will snap it and you've saved the money on doing ridiculous things like refinishes. The PU covers look fine. Do you even know how to replace them? It's not easy, they're attached with wax and if you fuck up you'll kill the pickup. Honestly, just leave it all - new knob, WD-40, clean up the stickers, new strings will probably get you farthest for least effort.
Quote by Tony Done
kentrock

[sigh] Acetone can destroy a nitro finish, such as is found on genuine Gibsons, in seconds.

it will if you scrub at it, but many things will as well.  if done properly you can bring the gloss back and take out fine scratches.  and it works wonderfully on the metal parts.
Quote by Tony Done
I think that is a good approach, but I would use contact cleaner rather than WD-40 on the switches. Take care though, I've had it etch a Gibson nitro finish.

If you get contact cleaner on a nitrocellulose finish it would not be a good thing, contact cleaner is a powerful solvent.  wd-40 is the way to go.
kentrock

Contact cleaner is not a powerful solvent (unlike acetone!!), but I have first-hand experience of it etching a Gibson finish, leaving it dull. I've also had acetone come into contact with nitro, in fact, fact the speed with which it attacks nitro is a good test of a nitro finish. A tiny spot in an inconspicuous spot with leave a pronounced mark.

Have you personally ever tried cleaning a nitro finish with acetone? It acts just like nail polish remover.
Page 1 of 2