Teens are so attached to their cell phones that they can't seem to do anything including bathing without them.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/16b5e363-be6e-34be-b8a9-a4e0d89b57bd/ss_teen-dies-from-using.html

Teen dies from using cellphone while taking a bath

Madison Coe, 14, was electrocuted taking a bath at her father’s home in Lovington, New Mexico, news station KCBD reported.  Relatives told KCBD that the accident was caused either when she plugged in her phone while in the bathtub or grabbing the phone as it was being charged.  The 14-year-old, who is from Lubbock, Texas, had recently graduated from eighth grade at Terra Vista Middle School.  “It is with heavy hearts that Frenship Independent School District mourns the loss of Madison Coe. We wish to share our heartfelt sympathy with her family and friends as we carry the burden of this tragedy together,” district officials said in a statement.

Friends created a GoFundMe page Sunday to raise money for her funeral.  “Our hearts go out to their family during this difficult time,” the GoFundMe campaign said.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

relevant
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
i wouldn't have thought a small charge like that would be able to kill you unless there was something wrong with the power supply then again i believe you don't have earth pins either so who knows
phones are the new smoking
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Must've been the bath salts that made the water more conductive.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by kalypto
i wouldn't have thought a small charge like that would be able to kill you unless there was something wrong with the power supply then again i believe you don't have earth pins either so who knows

We have earth/ground pins in the US but not on everything cell phone chargers do not, the outlet in the bathroom should have been a GFI (ground fault interupter) which is supposed to cut power (20 to 30 milliseconds) in circumstances like this to prevent this from happening GFI outlets should be installed anywhere that an outlet is close to a source of water/moisture.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by theogonia777
phones are the new smoking

Population control. people stepping into traffic, falling into manholes, falling off of cliffs all because of cell phones.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jul 11, 2017,
Phones are the new toasters
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Evilnine
Population control. people stepping into traffic, falling into manholes, falling off of cliffs all because of cell phones.

Learning that they will die in seven days.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: A bunch of forced listening by my composition teacher... some great stuff by Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Liszt...

GTA V! ... the 120th game of the franchise.
Quote by Evilnine
We have earth/ground pins in the US but not on everything cell phone chargers do not, the outlet in the bathroom should have been a GFI (ground fault interupter) which is supposed to cut power (20 to 30 milliseconds) in circumstances like this to prevent this from happening GFI outlets should be installed anywhere that an outlet is close to a source of water/moisture.

Having GFCI's near a water source is code in the United States and has been for decades.  If they didn't have one in there I would be asking questions to either the builder, landlord or previous owner.  I was an electrician for many years and in the building industry for over 2 decades.    
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Jul 11, 2017,
Why did the power not cut out? It's kinda really hard to kill yourself by electrocution in a bathroom
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Human stupidity never ceases to amaze me

yeah the power should've cut out, but why even risk it in the first place
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by Way Cool JR.
Having GFCI's near a water source is code in the United States and has been for decades.  If they didn't have one in there I would be asking questions to either the builder, landlord or previous owner.  I was an electrician for many years and in the building industry for over 2 decades.    

Yeah I knew it was code here in Indiana wasn't sure if it was nationwide. Possibly and old home that was not brought up to code.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by Wolfinator-x
Learning that they will die in seven days.

LOL falling off of a mountain trying to catch a Pokemon
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by WCPhils
Why did the power not cut out? It's kinda really hard to kill yourself by electrocution in a bathroom

Maybe she isn't as stupid as we thought. She's just really into science and wanted to prove/disprove something.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: A bunch of forced listening by my composition teacher... some great stuff by Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Liszt...

GTA V! ... the 120th game of the franchise.
I really can't take the whole "young people are dumb" thing seriously when every person over 50 I know just talks about doing the most ridiculous unsafe bullshit on the daily when young
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Must've been the bath salts that made the guy kill those people and chew their faces off.

FTFY
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by WCPhils
I really can't take the whole "young people are dumb" thing seriously when every person over 50 I know just talks about doing the most ridiculous unsafe bullshit on the daily when young

The point of "young people are dumb" is kinda backed up by older people who talk about all of the dumb stuff they did when they were young no? After all they were youbng when they were doing it.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Phone chargers may be low voltage, but it's the current that kills. It only takes a tiny tiny ~100mA current across the heart to kill you. The current that crosses you will be voltage/resistance. Dry skin is super high resistance, but wet skin is very low. Bath salts could have made it worst. Factor in that she was submerged in water, it has a huge surface area to further lower resistance.

Even with a 5V charger, that can kill very fast.
real talk, what's with teens constantly needing to charge their phones?
close an app once in a while ffs
Quote by WCPhils
actual quote from my grandfather when i flipped out after he asked me to plug something into an old, unsafe power strip and it shot sparks all over the place:

"i used to stick forks in electrical sockets as a kid and it never hurt me none"

😐
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by jakesmellspoo
actual quote from my grandfather when i flipped out after he asked me to plug something into an old, unsafe power strip and it shot sparks all over the place:

"i used to stick forks in electrical sockets as a kid and it never hurt me none"

😐

think i'm coming unplugged
adults are just as fucking glued to their phones but are usually less adept with them ie more likely to fuck something up while using them

people just like to bitch
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Darwin awards contender right there.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Power sockets in bathrooms are fucking dangerous.

I'll stick with my diesel generator thank you.
Quote by i_lovemetallica
relevant

was gonna post this    
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

This just in. She had her phone on vibrate and texted everyone on her contacts list to call her at once.
Other than that the medical examiner is not releasing details except to note the bilssful smile...
I'm surprised you even have power sockets in the bathroom in the US. Can only have low power two pin shaver sockets (100v) and not 240v.

A sad accident, I hope others learn from her mistake. Even if there was something wrong with the socket, it's common sense not to use anything plugged into a power socket in the bath.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

I'd be shocked too with how expensive smart phones have become these days.
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
Quote by SpanishYanez
I'd be shocked too with how expensive smart phones have become these days.

If smartphone data plan costs didn't shock her, I don't know what else would tbh
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
i thought about the old toaster in the tub once.

50/50 chance it would have worked since i don't think this apartment has ever been up to code.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by jakesmellspoo
i thought about the old toaster in the tub once.

50/50 chance it would have worked since i don't think this apartment has ever been up to code.

Hmm I never thought about eating toast in the bathtub.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by Evilnine
Hmm I never thought about eating toast in the bathtub.

it tends to get soggy wouldn't recommend 
ElMaco

Yeah even though she took steps to try and keep the chords dry the exposed wire would prove to be a fatal oversite.

For everyone that thinks kids don't have an addiction problem with smart phones.

You can agree or disagree, but if a kid is using an extension chord and taking preventative measures to try and make the chord stay dry and safe just because they need to stay connected to friends and play games while bathing it shows the kid knew the danger of electricity and water yet was unable to put the phone down long enough to take a bath then there is a serious problem.

Edit: Good for the parents to share the text online maybe it will help prevent this from happening again.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jul 20, 2017,
See this is why kids need to be trained electricians by the time they are 15 so this doesnt happen.

That or, you know... Common sense.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster