I currently play with a Vox VT20+ which has some nice effects and all and I do used some of the effects, but now I'm thinking I want something more powerful so when I get my palm muting chugs going they sound much more predominant. 

Are there any good metal amps in that range? 
"It means a lot to me that my darkness can connect with your darkness and make it OK." - James Hetfield

Guitar: Ibanez S370
Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head
w/Peavey 112 Speaker cab (Celestion Greenback)

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
The problem is probably the 8 inch speaker. Maybe look at Orange Crush or same amp as you currently have but with 12 inch speaker.
The ideal amp for you would be Peavey 6505 combo.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey/6505-112-60W-1x12-Tube-Combo-Guitar-Amp.gc
At that budget look used, a 6505+ combo would be great but might be above your budget, also keep an eye out for a used 5150 amp, or look for a peavey Vypyr VIP3 with the 12" speaker or a Peavey Vypry Tube, or a randall combo. You could go head and cab but aren't likely to get a lot for $300. Here's from a quick look on CL.

https://cnj.craigslist.org/msg/6206467381.html
https://cnj.craigslist.org/msg/6184709740.html
https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/msg/6191512237.html
diabolical I'm sure the 8" Speaker is holding my sound back. I really like the little amp but I'm finding it doesn't have the tone and "Fullness" I'm looking for. 
"It means a lot to me that my darkness can connect with your darkness and make it OK." - James Hetfield

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
guitarsngear Thanks, I typically stay away from used equipment, but I'll absolutely look into it. 

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Quote by Phantumgrey
guitarsngear Thanks, I typically stay away from used equipment, but I'll absolutely look into it. 

With your budget I seriously suggest you look into it if you're actually looking to make the most out of your dollar. 
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
H4T3BR33D3R I think you're right. I guess I just get worried of buying broken equipment. I have no idea how to know if someone is trying to get one over on me. 

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Quote by Phantumgrey
H4T3BR33D3R I think you're right. I guess I just get worried of buying broken equipment. I have no idea how to know if someone is trying to get one over on me. 

It's fair to be scared of that kind of stuff but that's why you have to look up whatever you're looking to buy and figuring out what is 'normal' operation wise and what isn't.

If you go try an amp and it's starting to smoke or is losing volume or cutting out then maybe it's not something to consider but if you're trying the amp out, everything is working decent at different volumes and you're happy with the result then you're probably good to go. Just make sure you ask appropriate questions and ask things that would be important to know as the new owner (as in "when was the last time this thing needed service and why?" "when was the last time the tubes were replaced?" "has any work been done to the gear?" "has the amp been modded?" etc... so at least if things break down you'll know where to start troubleshooting or at least where to start looking. 

FWIW. Most of the amps I've purchased through the years have been used. I've not had many problems with them but I make sure to put them through the paces before I commit to buying. 
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
H4T3BR33D3R Thanks for that. It's good to know. Of course I would plan on trying it out, but those specific questions you gave me are really helpful. I wouldn't have known to ask any of that otherwise.

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Any thoughts on a Roland Cube 80GX? 80 watts on a 12" speaker

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Are you choosing it cause you think it sounds good or are you choosing it cause its '80 watts' so you think itll be good?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
H4T3BR33D3R I've watch some youtube demos and it seems to sound pretty good. I've always seen a lot of buzz about the CUBE amps. I just thought I have a 20w now so 80w would be loader and more powerful. That's the only reason I mentioned the 80w. The only real way to know is to demo one myself though. 

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Yeah. I mean I would probably say a cube was more of a sidegrade than an upgrade tbh.

Maybe save up more budget and get something decent like a Blues Jr. or a DSL or something.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Alright then. I'll could probably sell my VOX for a $100 to add to my budget too. Either way I'll keep looking and researching. 

Thanks for all the help. 

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Roland Cube does a lot of things well but not metal.  Buy used and test it thoroughly at full volume.  If it sounds good it is good.

Peavey Valve King or Jet City could be found at that price used and would take you far.  Ignore watts and focus on the tone.  Watt ratings are a distraction in this price range.  An Orange Tiny Terror at 7 watts sounds WAY more powerful than a 20w Valvetronix.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Roland Cube does a lot of things well but not metal.  Buy used and test it thoroughly at full volume.  If it sounds good it is good.

Peavey Valve King or Jet City could be found at that price used and would take you far.  Ignore watts and focus on the tone.  Watt ratings are a distraction in this price range.  An Orange Tiny Terror at 7 watts sounds WAY more powerful than a 20w Valvetronix.

He doesn't live in the states and probably can't get a lot of the amps you suggested. The store he buys things from is quite limited stock wise. Otherwise I'd agree.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
If he told us where he did live and what voltage he is on we could be a lot more helpful.  It's a big world out there with a lot of variation on what is available.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Quote by Cajundaddy
If he told us where he did live and what voltage he is on we could be a lot more helpful.  It's a big world out there with a lot of variation on what is available.

I agree. I'll fill in what I know. He is in Singapore and the voltage there IIRC is 220v but I'm not too sure.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Tony Done
Could a 12" extension cab be the answer?

I'd say no.  The Vox VT is a decent practice amp for vintage tone but stumbles into the metal zone.  Same with Roland Cube.  They are not shred machines.

TS if you want serious shred tone in Singapore get a Pod and headphones to stay in budget.  With a bit more cash look for one of these used
http://soundalchemy.com.sg/shop/amplifier/jet-city-amplification-jca2212c/ 

or a Laney IRT. No compromise hi gain tone at reasonable $$.   Orange Crush is also worth a look.  The recent re-voiced ones aren't too bad for metal tone.

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jul 11, 2017,
I live in New Jersey USA. 120v

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
jedigovnaUG If that's seriously a good amp for what I'm looking for that's right where I'm looking. I'll go watch some youtube demos. 

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
jedigovnaUG From what I'm finding I can also run a 4x12 cab off that amp. Is that a good idea for it?

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Phantumgrey

It's an insane amp for metal . I had the head and 40 watt combo with 1 -12 inch speaker and it was pretty good I haven't seen any demos for the 2x12 version that I linked you to. But I bet it sounds massive . If you want to use a 4x12 why don't you just buy the head ? I think I saw guitar center has one in stock also Also check eBay
jedigovnaUG I'll eventually want a 4x12, but I need to get better first and it's for personal enjoyment I don't think I'll ever be in a band or anything.. I need something that sound great for what I like to play. I'm still with the plan of selling my Vox and add to my money pool. That amp you linked me sounds nice. I just wish they would ship it locally to test, but GC wants you to purchase first. 

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
If you think you'll never be in a band then you don't ever need a 4x12. The 2x12 is 120 watts. more than you'll ever need for practicing . I bet you'll never put the amp past 2 on the volume .

Also I don't know what guitar center's return policy is for used stuff. But I've returned an amp before that I ordered online without any hassle . You can drop them off at any GC for a refund .
Last edited by jedigovnaUG at Jul 12, 2017,
jedigovnaUG Good to know. Yeah no band in the future. I'm 33 and too old to start now. I just want to sound great for myself at this point.

I saw a some guy really talking up a  Blackstar HT 5. Something only 5w sounds silly to me, but then again I'm learning. 

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Quote by Phantumgrey
jedigovnaUG Good to know. Yeah no band in the future. I'm 33 and too old to start now. I just want to sound great for myself at this point.

I saw a some guy really talking up a  Blackstar HT 5. Something only 5w sounds silly to me, but then again I'm learning. 

You're never too old to start a band. If that's a long-term goal that you're aiming for, absolutely do it.

I'm not a fan of the Blackstar HT5. Tonally it's rather bland and uninspiring. The Peavey XXX is way better. More versatile, more features, and just a better sounding amp in every possible way. Forget about it being loud. Even a 5w amp is going to be stupidly loud. Wattage and absolute volume are only very loosely related to one another. What a higher power amp will most definitely do better than a lower-power amp is it's have way more headroom (good for having clean tones) and the ability to reproduce more low end, especially at higher volumes. While 5w amps can be very loud, they often sound like crap while they're doing it because there isn't enough power to reproduce bass. So as soon as you start turning it up, the bass completely disappears.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
T00DEEPBLUE I just figured I'm past my 20's when bands like Metallica and Megadeth already had their masterpieces released to the world. Would I enjoy getting up on stage one day? Absolutely. 

After watching the videos that Peavey XXX keeps looking more and more attractive at it's price point. SOme people were recommending Orange Crush. I even checked out the 35rt. I'm not sure. 

I might call GC and see what they have to say about their return policy. I hate returning things, but I need to make sure it sounds great. Like all things our gear no matter how expensive is our lives. 

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
The Crush amps are pretty crappy imo. Really I wouldn't consider it to be any better than the Vox you currently own.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
T00DEEPBLUE Yeah then It's definitely not for me. I'm looking to upgrade not move laterally. 

Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive