So I've spent the past 3 or 4 hours practicing my scales with my epiphone les paul junior and I'm in a tiny bit of pain. It's just below the base of my neck, feels like it's dead center on my spine. I'm not sure if it's bad posture (I was playing standing up and only played for like 10 mins sitting down) or my strap (a kinda small 2ish inch strap from a kids guitar) or what but I would like to know how to fix this. Thx in advance!

Edit/more info: it's a ache kind of pain and seems to be doing well with a heating pad. Also I am pretty sure it's not a health thing as I'm young and in decent shape.
Last edited by tony00237 at Jul 12, 2017,
I'd say it's probably just bad posture.  I can't see the strap causing that, regardless of how small it is.  I'd go see a doctor and see what they say, but my guess is bad posture.  Also, if you hang you head forward to look at the guitar often or constantly, it could give you some pain.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Yea that will happen after playing a les paul after 4 hours. It's a heavy guitar. I wouldn't be worried. You'll get tougher the more you do it.
Might be a bit of a late reply, but you might have a herniated or bulged disk. I bulged mine last year (T-6 and T-7, upper back) and have similar problems when I play my bass standing for a while. I'm in my 20's and in decent shape too. Don't wanna worry you but you should consider talking to a doctor if it persists! 
Quote by tony00237
So I've spent the past 3 or 4 hours practicing my scales with my epiphone les paul junior and I'm in a tiny bit of pain. It's just below the base of my neck, feels like it's dead center on my spine. I'm not sure if it's bad posture (I was playing standing up and only played for like 10 mins sitting down) or my strap (a kinda small 2ish inch strap from a kids guitar) or what but I would like to know how to fix this. Thx in advance!

Edit/more info: it's a ache kind of pain and seems to be doing well with a heating pad. Also I am pretty sure it's not a health thing as I'm young and in decent shape.

Sorry to hear about that, Tony! How are you feeling now? 

From here, it's difficult to comment on your posture, but how close do you bring the guitar to you whilst playing? I'd suggest to take more frequent breaks within your 3-4 hours practice, and stretch more often than usual. 

My colleague wrote an article about the causes of tension buildup and how to maintain good sitting and standing postures, minimize shoulder tension. You can read it here: http://bit.ly/2vnFEcd

Hope this helps! Feel free to reach out if you need more help. 
Yeah as it stand rn I'm fine for the most part. It probably was some stupid technique thing but for the life I can't pin point it.

Thx for the concern and help ☺