Hi,

I recently bought a ESP LTD MH-350 with a Floyd Rose. It was working fine but I broke the high E. I put a new one on and found a great video online about how to get a Floyd Rose back in tune and started following the directions perfectly. I unlocked the locking nuts and set the fine tuners in the middle and tuned the low E and then went to tune the high E but it just will NOT tune to high E! It goes to B and then C but never E. If I tighten it any more it will snap. I've stretched the string and everything... what should I do to fix this? Thanks.
Try setting that bad boy to 440 if you can.

If I'm not mistaken your high E should be around 330hz.
Some tuners give you the number. Are you sure you're not trying to tune it up too high? Are all the other strings in tune? If so, it will be slightly tighter feeling than the b string.
guitarkid8 with a Floyd Rose, you tune in the order Low E, High E, B, A, G, D to keep the tension equal. You have to go through about 4 times to get them tuned before locking the nuts and moving on to the fine tuners. Unfortunately I can't get past high E because it just can't get in tune for whatever reason.
reds987

Tune your 1st string to B exactly like your 2nd string and then just keep going. Make sure everything else is in tune and the bridge is flat and then tune your 1st string slowly up to E on your 1st string. You might have to adjust everything else slightly after that, but you should be in the ballpark.
You *may* be trying to tune that poor thing to an octave above where it should be. It's happened before. Find a tuner that will tell you what octave you're in or what Hz you're actually at. This can be as simple as picking up one of the phone app tuners. That high E is E4 (329.6Hz).

Quote by reds987
guitarkid8 with a Floyd Rose, you tune in the order Low E, High E, B, A, G, D to keep the tension equal. You have to go through about 4 times to get them tuned before locking the nuts and moving on to the fine tuners. Unfortunately I can't get past high E because it just can't get in tune for whatever reason.

I should note that I *don't* tune Floyds in the order you've specified. I'll get all strings on and ballparked, but I'll usually tune from the bottom up, at least the first time. I'd rather have those springs pulling against mostly larger diameter strings before I try to get the high E on point.
Could be a shar
Quote by reds987
guitarkid8 when I do that, the bridge just slowly slants back more and more.

Than you increased the string gauge and the balance is off on all strings. I've always tuned from low E down and never had a problem. ALL my (electric) guitars have floyds. I've Probably changed strings on a Floyd 100 times. Never had an issue. If you go low E to high E with the other strings completely loose and the bridge is balanced you probably ARE an octave up because that's how much force it would take for the tiny high e string to balance the bridge without the force being distributed across all the strings. If it's sunken in than maybe you're not doing anything wrong and you've got a sharp edge at the nut or the saddle that's causing the string to break. Where did the string break? At the nut? At the saddle? Somewhere else?

Also, DO NOT try to tune the guitar until you put ALL the strings on. You want all the strings to have some tension and at least start lifting the bridge out of the cavity before you try to tune up. You should be tuning ALL the strings up to pitch at the same time. Not one at a time. Getting the low strings in the ballpark is also safer cause they're thicker and can handle the tension better.
Last edited by risingforce1 at Jul 13, 2017,
risingforce1 I think I got it now. String didn't snap this time. Left it overnight and maybe it stretched. Certainly felt like it was going to snap but it didn't. Ball of the string on the tuning peg was kind of stuck in the wrap so it could've been that too. Followed a well done YouTube video and got it working. A few minor adjustments to go to get it perfect but I've learned so much haha
"Ball of the string on the tuning peg" I really don't like doing it that way.
Flying in a blue dream
Quote by SanDune65
"Ball of the string on the tuning peg" I really don't like doing it that way.

Nor do I, but I'm not sure I could articulate why.
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 14, 2017,
I've done it that way for the past year or so. No problems, just makes stringing a little easier for me personally.