So, I'm a novice who enjoys playing some death/doom metal and the occasional metalcore/deathcore song. I bought these strings recently for that purpose: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00W9KAQMQ/ref=pe_386430_121528420_TE_dp_i1

Most of the songs I want to play lately are in drop B or standard B. It all feels good except my Low E string, which feels like it lacks a significant amount of tension. I'm definitely not tuned an octave too low or anything. Why might this be? I'm using a pretty old Schecter Hellraiser C-1 (No floyd rose). Thanks for any help!
Quote by Seiken
So, I'm a novice who enjoys playing some death/doom metal and the occasional metalcore/deathcore song. I bought these strings recently for that purpose: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00W9KAQMQ/ref=pe_386430_121528420_TE_dp_i1

Most of the songs I want to play lately are in drop B or standard B. It all feels good except my Low E string, which feels like it lacks a significant amount of tension. I'm definitely not tuned an octave too low or anything. Why might this be? I'm using a pretty old Schecter Hellraiser C-1 (No floyd rose). Thanks for any help!

You just need a thicker low E, besides that sometimes if your action is too high it can sometimes make the strings feel looser. I'd just say get a set like this https://www.amazon.ca/DAddario-EXL158-Electric-Strings-Baritone/dp/B0002E3CN6/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1499964403&sr=1-2&keywords=baritone+strings
That makes sense. So, what's the use of a set of 13-56 in general then? I think I remember the guys from Immolation using them, yet they play in standard C. Why is it that I have an issue in B? Do they just have a significantly different action on their guitars? Now that you mention it, my action has definitely been raised quite a bit since I changed the strings.
Last edited by Seiken at Jul 13, 2017,
Quote by Seiken
That makes sense. So, what's the use of a set of 13-56 in general then? I think I remember the guys from Immolation using them, yet they play in standard C. Why is it that I have an issue in B? Do they just have a significantly different action on their guitars? Now that you mention it, my action has definitely been raised quite a bit since I changed the strings.

C is a half-step above B so they're tuned higher. Also strings are a personal preference, some people like theirs looser than other peoples. The action is minor, but can make a noticeable difference anyway.
Quote by Nerdbiscuit
C is a half-step above B so they're tuned higher. Also strings are a personal preference, some people like theirs looser than other peoples. The action is minor, but can make a noticeable difference anyway.

Right, I was thinking more specifically of the interview in which he says that his strings are very tight (so in my mind, mine should be just fine in comparison):

" Yes I use D'Addario 13-56 gauge strings. We tune to C, so this gauge is heavy enough to keep the tension on the strings tight, but for me the strings are still comfortable enough. I've been using them forever. " (https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/interviews/immolation_into_everlasting_darkness.html)

Anyway, looks like I'll have to try something a bit higher like you suggested. At least it's not expensive so, no worries. Thanks.
that set seems unbalanced. 11-54 for c standard should be fine. 12-60 for b should be ok as well.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
that set seems unbalanced. 11-54 for c standard should be fine. 12-60 for b should be ok as well.

That's what I thought but lb. for lb. it's pretty even, however I like those sets you mentioned! The Baritone strings are meant for B though.
Quote by Nerdbiscuit
That's what I thought but lb. for lb. it's pretty even, however I like those sets you mentioned! The Baritone strings are meant for B though.

i don't think the set makes much sense since the low strings should be lower strings should be higher tension or else it will feel weird. that being said 54-56 should be fine for c. it's 16-17 pounds thats fine.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer