Hey All

I'm planning to buy my first guitar and at the moment I'm a bit stuck about what to choose. So I would appreciate if you could give me some advice.

When it comes to electric guitar, I'm a total newbie. I used to play bass for several years (and some acoustic, but that was  years some ago)

The things I know:
- I don't want a floyd rose bridge (heard the floating FR is quite a struggle for beginners)
- I tend to go for rock / metal (but I also like jazz)
- Second hand is an option, but not sure what to go for if I want to stay below 500$
- I have been mainly looking for ESP and Schecter so I might stick to those 2 (but open for alternatives)

No idea if it's of any importance, but the amp I want to buy is the Blackstar ID core 20 V2

At the moment, there are 2 guitars at the top of my list:

A guitar store in my town sells an ESP LTD H-51 for 253EUR (290$). I like the model but dislike the blue color (the price seems nice to me). I have absolutely no idea if this is a good guitar, but reviews rate it quite good.

Searching forums I came across a lot of threads saying the Schecter is a really nice good quality brand. So I did some research and I really like the Omen Extreme 6 guitar. Online for sale for 425EUR (485$)
https://www.thomann.de/intl/schecter_omen_extreme_6_stblk.htm?ref=search_rslt_schecter+omen+extreme_398535_3

I know it's quite hard to compare these 2, because they are totally different and the price is really different too.

I also found some second hand guitars, but not sure if it's a good deal
ESP LTD EC-50 for about 200$,
Schecter C1 elite for 250$

Any advice would be nice! Thanks!
Last edited by aino333 at Jul 13, 2017,
first thing to do really is to try some guitars and see what works best for you.  even if a guitar is a good deal on paper (or price wise ) if it's not comfortable for you to play then it doesn't matter. 
You need to go to some guitar stores and define what your exact preferences are. You need to define your favorite neck profiles, favorite types of fixed bridges, favorite fretwire, favorite fretboard radius etc. as all of these things have a major impact on how the guitar feels to play.

I wouldn't suggest getting the Blackstar ID core amp though. If you want a tight metal tone, the Blackstar just doesn't sound all that good.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Thanks guys. I'll visit my local guitar stores again to see wether the ltd or schecter feels best.

T00DEEPBLUE I'm a total newbie when it comes to electric guitars so exact preferences are not really something I can define. Why wouldn't the Blackstar amp be that good. Read amazing reviews and it seems pretty versatile and really good if you cannot use too much volume (I live in an apartment so a light amp is a must). What do you suggest would be better than the Blackstar (amp budget is 200$).
Quote by aino333
T00DEEPBLUE I'm a total newbie when it comes to electric guitars so exact preferences are not really something I can define. Why wouldn't the Blackstar amp be that good. Read amazing reviews and it seems pretty versatile and really good if you cannot use too much volume (I live in an apartment so a light amp is a must). What do you suggest would be better than the Blackstar (amp budget is 200$).

Defining what your preferences are is what going out and playing a bunch of guitars in a store is for.

I just don't think the Blackstar ID's are good amps. They're really bland and uninspiring-sounding, even by the standards of a cheap modeler.

If metal and hard rock tones are what you're into, I think you'll do better getting the best Peavey Vypyr you can afford with that budget. I suggest going used too if that's a viable option. There's a fair number of Vypyrs in the used market in the US. Peavey are known for their 5150/6505 amps which are a staple for many different styles of modern metal. And the 6505 model that's built into the Vypyr amps is pretty good for what it is.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
You need to go to some guitar stores and define what your exact preferences are. You need to define your favorite neck profiles, favorite types of fixed bridges, favorite fretwire, favorite fretboard radius etc. as all of these things have a major impact on how the guitar feels to play.

You know, some of us who've been playing for years still aren't 100% sure on all of that
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So I went to the store today to test the schecter guitar and I got to test the Omen 7 string (They didn't have the Omen extreme 6 or the regular Omen 6). It felt quite heavy, but maybe that's because it's a 7 string guitar. I did like the overall feel of the guitar and the sound was quite nice too.

The guy at the store also gave me another guitar he said was quite similar to the Omen. I saw it had EMG pickups so I was a bit suspicious (yikes the price :p. I have to say that the guitar felt amazing in the hand. Very light, the neck was smooth and easy to hold. And the sound was amazing. Nice warm and rich. Sounded great both in clean and overdrive and in all 3 toggle modes. Turns out it was a Hellraiser Hybrid C-1   

I also got to test the ESP / LTD H-51. I didn't quite like the sound of them when only using the bridge pickup or both neck and bridge pickup in clean sound. It sounded a bit too cold for me. I had the idea I was sitting in a metal box.

I'm looking for a second hand hellraiser hybrid now. I found a used C-1 (no hybrid) for 580EUR. I'm going back to the store some day soon to test the regular C-1, Does anyone have an idea if there is much of a difference between the C-1 and C-1 hybrid? (I know it has different emg pickups, but that's all). Any advice if it would be a good idea to get a hellraiser as a first guitar?
Also does anyone have an idea if the Schecter C1 Elite is worth checking? I saw a second hand for 230EUR

Cheers
Last edited by aino333 at Jul 14, 2017,
The hybrid C1 has the EMG 57/66 combo. Those are very nice pickups that I'm actually itching to try myself. They are much more passive sounding and are probably a better fit for an "all rounder" guitar. The EMG 81-85/60 combo is nice for a metal guitar but they are not versatile at all and I wouldn't want them if I only had one guitar for everything.
Going in several times and trying out guitars is about the best thing you can do. The Omen is Schecter's entry-level model based on the C-1. I've found the Hellraisers I've tried to have a comparatively wide neck with a flat fretboard. I'm usually pretty much on-board with anything they put out, but the Hellraiser didn't jive for me. I certainly wouldn't discourage looking at any axe the have available.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
risingforce1 Thanks for the info about the EMG's! I will definitely keep that in the back of my mind, since I am looking for a guitar I can use for metal and rock, but also for jazz (and blues and funk). 

bjgrifter Thank for the input. What's your opinion on the omen?
I'll go again to the store this week and check out the C-1 Classic (I assume it's that one you are talking about) and try to compare that one with the hellraiser and Omen.

I also got my eye on the ESP LTD MH-401NT and the ESP LTD 1001NT STBLK. I don't see any major differences between these to, so not really sure what the benefit o the 1001 model would be here. I did read the neck is smaller compared to the schecter ones, Is that correct?
Quote by aino333
I also got my eye on the ESP LTD MH-401NT and the ESP LTD 1001NT STBLK. I don't see any major differences between these to, so not really sure what the benefit o the 1001 model would be here. I did read the neck is smaller compared to the schecter ones, Is that correct?

The minor differences between the 400 and 1000 series LTD's are that some of the 1000 series guitars have ebony fretboards, which many people prefer as they have a smoother, glassier feel than rosewood. You also get locking tuners on the 1000 series which make restringing the guitar easier. They're not the most amazing locking tuners, but they get the job done.

The biggest difference between the 2 however (apart from the price) is where they're made. The 400 series are currently made in either Indonesia or Vietnam. While the 1000 series are made by the World Musical Instruments factory in Korea. They're a factory that generally seems to build guitars with tighter quality control and overall attention to detail than the factories the 400 series are made in.

the 400's used to be made in the same factory as the 1000's, but not anymore. And in my experience the overall build quality of the 401's has suffered as a result.

The necks on the LTD's vary depending on the specific model you're talking about. But the most equivalent Schecter to the LTD MH-1000 would be the Hellraiser C-1. And the neck on the Hellraiser is significantly thicker. Aside from some minor spec differences and the cosmetics, the build quality of the 2 guitars is pretty much identical, which is no coincidence. They're both made to the same tolerances in the same Korean factory, and the owner of Schecter guitars is the same guy that owns ESP.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
T00DEEPBLUE Thanks a lot for explaining the differences!! I am willing to pay a bit more for the better quality (it's about 150-200EUR between those the 2).
aino333 If you like the C-1 design, you'll find that the Omen/Damien/Demon is going to be in the same vein. You start getting different manufacturing as far as country of production and pickups, but that's the main difference. Schecter took the C-1 design and ran with it across the spectrum. The only time a C-1 derivative felt different was the Hellraiser I tried---which had a wider and flatter neck than other C-1 styled guitars. 
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer