So I already have an electric bass, but I don't think it should be necessary if my band is performing something acoustic. The guitarist would obviously play the acoustic guitar and the drummer would obviously play the shaker and tambourine. Now, for bassists, I don't know if I should play the acoustic bass or the electric bass. Both have their pros and cons. Does anyone have a preference between the two?
Roll with an acoustic if you like how it sounds, but IMO sticking with an electric is more practical, even for acoustic sets.  Lots of acoustic basses (affordable ones) don't carry very well unplugged, so you'll probably be amplified regardless.  Just watch your volume and you'll be fine.

Upright on the other hand is a whole other ball game.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
The upright bass is remarkably different from a bass guitar, so keep that in mind if you plan to go that way.  It is a whole new world, and it takes a real commitment to make it work.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Apples and oranges.  Also uprights are a huge investment both time and money-wise.   As FatalGear41  has noted, its a major commitment to learn and if you don't get some instruction, easy to pick up bad habits as well as be incredibly frustrated. 

There are some nice acoustic basses out there that don't cost and arm and a leg.  Check out Boulder Creek guitars.
If you are seriously considering an upright bass, go to your local music store and price a few sets of strings for it first.  That should be enough to change your mind.  Not to mention the fact that a good hardshell case for one of those things can run over US$500.00.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Tostitos
Roll with an acoustic if you like how it sounds, but IMO sticking with an electric is more practical, even for acoustic sets.  Lots of acoustic basses (affordable ones) don't carry very well unplugged, so you'll probably be amplified regardless.  Just watch your volume and you'll be fine.

Upright on the other hand is a whole other ball game.

Agree 101%
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by FatalGear41
If you are seriously considering an upright bass, go to your local music store and price a few sets of strings for it first.  That should be enough to change your mind.  Not to mention the fact that a good hardshell case for one of those things can run over US$500.00.

Years ago they brought out the Pogo Stick upright electric bass but they didn't catch on.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn