I've decided to pick up one of Leslie Wests signature guitars, in order to get a nice classic rock sound on the cheap (only $600). However, I'm torn. I know he had a lot to do with the original model he promoted several years back, and was seen playing it all around. It can be found here: https://www.amazon.com/Dean-Soltero-Leslie-Standard-Electric/dp/B0017W5NIO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500005530&sr=8-1&keywords=leslie+west+dean+guitar

However, Dean has issued a new signature Leslie West for 2017 and is the one they are selling now. That can be found here: http://www.deanguitars.com/query?upc=814064028128

The problem is, I've never heard Leslies opinion on it or if it's made to the same type of specs he laid out for this first. I know the original had the Mountain of Ton pickup vs the P90 that is the 2017 model.

Can anyone tell me which is a better sounding guitar for Leslie West fans. Should I go with the latest model or find the original online somewhere? I guess I'm just looking for which guitar will get me as close to this sound as possible: 

[url="(Invalid video video code)]

I have Guitar Rig, so should be able to replicate what's needed on the effects side. Just need the hardware now. Any thoughts?

Thanks! 
Last edited by drive_sw at Jul 14, 2017,
You don't need a "Leslie West Signature Model" guitar to get his sound.

He did his most famous work with a single pickup P90 guitar (a pair of them, actually). West was playing a couple of ’50s Gibson Les Paul Juniors at the time “Mississippi Queen” was recorded: a 1956 single-cutaway and a slightly newer double-cutaway. “The single-cutaway had a better sound than the other one,” he recalls.

He played most of his live gigs with Sunn amps, with Eminence speakers on board. Incredibly loud.

In an interview: “These days, I can pretty much get the ‘Mississippi Queen’ tone out of any guitar. Larry DiMarzio once told me my tone was in my right-hand attack, and he was right. Also, I never felt like I needed a two- or three-pickup guitar, because you can get a lot of tones out of a single pickup. If you’re in a room filled with gasoline, how many matches do you really need? One good one and a backup!”

You'll also want to note that he may have an octaver on in the videos above (or the mike on whatever's in the video camera is picking up a lot of acoustic coupling).

In any case, I have one of these:

An Agile AD 2300. Mine's got a pair of Mike Reilander's handwound P90's onboard. Mine was used, and $130 (including the $185 set of pickups!). If you're looking "to get a nice classic rock sound on the cheap," you don't have to spend $600. And if you're a Leslie West fan, you know that the new guitars from Dean had absolutely nothing to do with getting his sound.
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 14, 2017,
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!