View poll results: Astro Turf?
Do it
3 33%
Don't do it
0 0%
You shouldn't, but do it anyways
6 67%
Voters: 9.
Before everyone gets too angry and wants to call me an idiot, just hear me out....

I was talking to a band mate about re-tolexing an amp, and mentioned I was thinking about getting red tolex... They then, half in jest, said I should cover the amp with Astro turf. I actually couldn't find a valid reason why this wouldn't work... and honestly, I just thought it was funnier than all get out.

Any opinions on this?
Try adding more delay.
Well my initial thought is: why the heck not?

It'll stick just fine, won't effect the sound at all. I can't speak for how it will look but if you think it'll look good I say go for it.

Edit: Don't do it to an expensive amp that is worth reselling. Likely to reduce the value of the amp
Last edited by wildozer at Jul 15, 2017,
Quote by telecastrmastr
Before everyone gets too angry and wants to call me an idiot, just hear me out....

I was talking to a band mate about re-tolexing an amp, and mentioned I was thinking about getting red tolex... They then, half in jest, said I should cover the amp with Astro turf. I actually couldn't find a valid reason why this wouldn't work... and honestly, I just thought it was funnier than all get out.

Any opinions on this?

Okay, NOW can I get angry and call you an idiot?

It would "work." Just as you can cover a box with industrial carpet, shag carpet, tuck and roll, expensive Corinthian leather, etc.

Just make sure that you can get the amp chassis (and any appropriate bits of wood included in the cabinet) back into the cabinet. I replaced tweed tolex (it had already been ripped off) on a Carvin Belair with real tweed (it's much thicker than tolex) and ran into some issues here and there. But it's been in place for six or seven years now, and it seems to be just fine.

Since then I've gotten really lazy and now I'll either take the cabinet down to my local friendly LineX dealer and have them hose it (stuff is a two-part goo that goes on hot and is ready to take home within an hour or less) or I'll use Acrytech Duratex, a sort of rubberized textured paint that most professional audio folks have been putting on PA system cabinets. Easy to retouch if necessary, won't rip or peel like tolex, available in a bunch of colors, etc.
You can't re-tolex an amp with astroturf.  
 But you can returf it.  I'll show myself out.
It's gonna look completely ridiculous, and by that I mean "please go for it and post pics." See if you can find a miniature lawnmower (and possibly a miniature Hank Hill) to fix on top too.
LysanderSpoon gets my LOL pic of the day. That would be a great idea, a little plastic lawnmower sitting on top. Just great. Please do it and post pics.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.