Alright guys. ENOUGH. We get it that you're into obscure works by bands that only ever released one demo, and write songs about levitating bowels and whatnot, but this is /accessiblegeneral/. In here, we admit to liking works by more popular bands. Admit it! Don't act like you're not into Pantera just because of the guitar tone and that thrash metal vocalist ripping Phil off.

I don't know if the math-era LoG count, but this album is pretty good IMO 👌👊😎

Quote by risingforce1
If you want to be good you gotta git gud
Well, I used to be huge into metalcore as a teen. I still sometimes listen to some bands from that era.

Iron Maiden's Somewhere in Time is pretty good album, albeit sounding way too much synth-driven pop.
Last edited by Ozzy87_2 at Jul 15, 2017,
^ Somewhere in Time is boring, and if you compare it to their first 5 albums you have to add that it is not just boring, but also garbage

You can see by my last.fm I'm into plenty of "normie" bands... Priest, Alice in Chains, Maiden, King Diamond, Armored Saint, Motorhead, Candlemass, Thin Lizzy, Sabbath, etc https://www.last.fm/user/fuck1111/library/artists?date_preset=ALL_TIME
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by Fat Lard
In here, we admit to liking works by more popular bands.

I feel like more people here spend more time listening to better known bands than obscure ones. I mean, if you look at the Rec thread, the "Best Of" for each subgenre is largely the best known albums of some of the better known bands in those subgenres.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I'm pretty sure it's fair to call almost all stoner metal normie (outside of ultra niche subgenres/spinoffs) so 

stoner metal
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Quote by Banjocal
I'm pretty sure it's fair to call almost all stoner metal normie (outside of ultra niche subgenres/spinoffs) so 

stoner metal

Damn straight, good tunes

Quote by risingforce1
Quote by MHDrunk
^ Somewhere in Time is boring, and if you compare it to their first 5 albums you have to add that it is not just boring, but also garbage

You can see by my last.fm I'm into plenty of "normie" bands... Priest, Alice in Chains, Maiden, King Diamond, Armored Saint, Motorhead, Candlemass, Thin Lizzy, Sabbath, etc https://www.last.fm/user/fuck1111/library/artists?date_preset=ALL_TIME

It may be garbage, but I can't say that it's boring. Comparing it to other big bands that experimented with a rock/pop-sound after their initial success (Slayer, Metallica), I think it could even be considered kind of a hidden jewel. Surely no match for the first one. Live After Death is also great.

...and I think Motörhead, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest are not "normie" metal. I think the thread starter is looking for bands that could be played at a non-metalhead party without interrupting it. Bands like Pantera, Trivium, Children of Bodom, In Flames, HIM, Nightwish...
Quote by Ozzy87_2
I think the thread starter is looking for bands that could be played at a non-metalhead party without interrupting it. Bands like Pantera, Trivium, Children of Bodom, In Flames, HIM, Nightwish...

This. I'm not looking for people to admit they're in to Iron Maiden. I'm looking for people to admit they're in to Evenescence
Quote by risingforce1
Quote by Fat Lard
This. I'm not looking for people to admit they're in to Iron Maiden. I'm looking for people to admit they're in to Evenescence

I listen to In Flames and Trivium.
"Come Clarity" is an unironically legit album by In Flames
Quote by risingforce1
^ There are actually no good In Flames albums. I thought for a minute that I had reviewed Come Clarity but turns out I reviewed A Sense of Purpose. But since I've gone digging I'm gonna link it anyway and presumably you can apply it to Come Clarity as well (which I haven't listened to).

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=852171
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/compact_discs/in_flames/a_sense_of_purpose/5146/

Ozzy87_2  If you can play those bands at a non-metalhead party you can definitely play, eg, Motorhead - Ace of Spades, Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark, Judas Priest - anything off British Steel (why though).
Quote by Fat Lard

I reckon I have shored up enough cred here over the years to admit that I unironically enjoy Hybrid Theory (huge nostalgia factor, since I remember buying it on tape when it came out). I also really like Does This Look Infected? by Sum 41 which might as well be "normie metal" if Linkin Park and Evanesence are. The Black Album is also great. Metallica's best, in fact. I will occasionally skim Slipknot, Korn and even Limp Bizkit discographies for the few songs I like, though for those bands I'd never actually listen to an entire album back to front. This is all very nostalgic you see (don't make me leave, please)
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

Instrumentally Hybrid Theory is pretty respectable imo.

Gotta be careful with Metallica cause it's often written off as empty and shallow but I'd say One is one of the more important metal songs
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Can't think of anything that qualifies me for this thread at all.

Outside of Metal? Sure. 80s Pop, some early 90s electronic shit (though very, very few,) some Nirvana I guess. Huge Steely Dan fan. Ween is very not normal, right? Gonna mention them anyway. Huge fan of Michael Jackson In his prime.

None of this is Metal. I suck at this thread.

A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by MHDrunk
I also really like Does This Look Infected? by Sum 41 which might as well be "normie metal"

I also enjoy Does This Look Infected?. My mom wouldn't let me buy the album when it came out because of the album cover, but she should have known it was fate and would likely die if she knew I listened to Profanatica.

I'm a huge fan of Gob too though. Being Canadian probably helped a bit!

I feel like I'm gonna get baited and you're gonna call me gay.

Quote by VampireGoldfish
Huge Steely Dan fan.

Nice, I love The Royal Scam.
Quote by MHDrunk
I reckon I have shored up enough cred here over the years to admit that I unironically enjoy Hybrid Theory (huge nostalgia factor, since I remember buying it on tape when it came out). I also really like Does This Look Infected? by Sum 41 which might as well be "normie metal" if Linkin Park and Evanesence are. The Black Album is also great. Metallica's best, in fact. I will occasionally skim Slipknot, Korn and even Limp Bizkit discographies for the few songs I like, though for those bands I'd never actually listen to an entire album back to front. This is all very nostalgic you see (don't make me leave, please)

Black Album is okay. I tend to do a lot of skipping when listening it, but at least I still sometimes do listen to it.

Hybrid Theory was one of the very first albums I bought and I played it pretty much every day for at least a year. Now it's just... not listenable.
+1 to the Steely Dan reference, I was binging on them last night. "The Fez" and "Kid Charlemagne" bring back memories of my parents driving from Los Angeles to Yosemite and then up to San Francisco when I was a kid.

@severed-metal - I have no idea who Gob is. Other pop punk bands that are good: Rancid, Millencolin, Death Riders.

Quote by severed-metal
I also enjoy Does This Look Infected?. My mom wouldn't let me buy the album when it came out because of the album cover, but she should have known it was fate and would likely die if she knew I listened to Profanatica.

Man, I had the exact same thing. I never did really get around to listening to it though, other than The Hell Song, which I think I had the single for. As for 'normie' metal though, Slaughter of the Soul is the best At the Gates album and Lamb of God have always been legit, Palaces/Ashes/Sacrament in particular. 
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by MHDrunk

I couldn't disagree with you more - great album, great guitar work, good proggy sections. One of their best.  Everything before no Prayer for the Dying was basically very good as far as I'm concerned. 
Quote by MHDrunk
The Black Album is also great. Metallica's best, in fact.

Hell yea
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Anyone who's kicked around here long enough knows that In Flames are in my bloodstream and I'll love them till the end of time. I do hate their new album though, so now I know how the rest of you have felt since 2002/the dawn of man.

(Big thanks to Fat Lard, by the way, for digging up a thread from 2008, when I was even more humourless and/or tone-deaf about In Flames than I am now)

I have a soft spot for Caliban, who are terrible. Sum 41 were great. I think people who listen to modern Opeth probably need to disclose as they're full on dad rockers now
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Last edited by duncang at Jul 20, 2017,
I might be quite the offender lol, for normie metal basically enjoy the first two Avenged Sevenfold albums, Trivium's first and System of a Down. Not so much a nostalgia factor but I genuinely enjoy the riffs and the vocals to this day. All I can truly think of atm. Some random songs from Metallica's black album and what not probably and some from Megadeth's endeavors slightly after and before The World Needs a Hero
For me it's

Metallica
Megadeth
Trivium
A7X
As I Lay Dying
System of a Down
Korn
Wintersun

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

R.I.P.  

Hijacking this thread for "non Metal approved" POPULAR stuff I enjoy.

A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
So are we allowed any of the bands on bigger labels such as Nuclear Blast, Napalm Records, Century Media, etc? Then I have a few off the top of my head:

1. Moonspell (I've always liked the album Night Eternal);

2. Catamenia (only two albums I really listen to, but they're like a cross between Stratovarius and Dissection);

3. Wintersun (Jari made me appreciate vocals much more than I used to, especially now that I've heard the isolated vocals for Sons of Winter and Star as well as Time); and

4. Nevermore (I remember hearing Born when I was about 14-15 on a late night heavy metal TV show and I was blown away by what Jeff could do on the guitar, and I still enjoy TGE).
Nevermore is actually a pretty good pick for this threat. I enjoy a bit of their stuff, This Godless Endeavor sticks out from memory.

The Sky... Has Opened!
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
VampireGoldfish Funny you mention that one line, even though his voice is only a fragment of his early Sanctuary days, he can still belt it out once in a while. I find that Nevermore has a really unique aesthetic. The closest I can think of is Psychotic Waltz but even then, that doesn't quite describe it.