Hey people i have a question i couldn't really find on google. As the title says: how do i get my solos to sound hard, dark and modern? At the moment all my solos sounds like "old school" metal. Is it special scales or can you make a melodic death metal solo with the minor pentatonic scale?
"...dark, hard, dark..."

Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
It's not "special scales", but you won't probably achieve a "modern" sound with typical pentatonic licks.

Though, the guitar and keyboard solos at 2:50 -> do use the pentatonic scale (well, at least partly). Then again, I don't think it sounds that "modern", but that's just my opinion. If you are talking about the intro, that's just basic minor stuff.

It has more to do with how you use the notes than what scales you use. A lot of it also has to do with the backing track.

I would suggest learning a couple of melodic death metal solos. That's really the best way of learning the style.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
yeah, it's not about scales per se, but harmonies. The lead guitar is just outlining the harmony of each chord with scales and arpeggios. Which is how pretty much all melodies work. The guitar solo is frankly the dullest part of the song, straightforward pentatonic shreddy stuff. More to learn from the intro/bridge.

If you want to figure out what's going on, just work out chords and then the melodies. What key and scale do the chords imply? What harmonies are implied by the melodies? This tune doesn't do anything too adventurous musically, so it's a good one to start learning this stuff with.