(sorry if I've posted in the wrong subforum)
Just a curiosity question,

Drop A on a 7 string is basically E standard with an extra low A so AEADGBe but on a 6 string, it's AEADF#B.
Out of curiosity, all the other notes on the 6 string moved to the left one place (So E becomes an A, A becomes an E, D becomes an A, etc.), but why does the B on a 6 string turn into an F# rather than a G?

And also out of curiosity, how would I go about translating 6 string drop A, drop G# (like Architects) onto my 7 string? 
Don't get me wrong, I love my 7 string very much, but it seems most music i listen to, even the bands with really dropped low tunings play on 6 strings. I want to translate them somehow to my 7 string so it doesn't seem to be used for anything other than playing random melodies..
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- A cheap fender strat knock-off not worth naming
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
Well, going from Drop A on a 6-string (with an F# string) to Drop A on a 7-string (with a G string) is as simple as playing anything on the F# string DOWN one fret when tuned to a G note. For instance, the 3rd fret on an open string tuned to F# would be an A note; playing that same note on an open string tuned to a G note would only be the 2nd fret.
Skip the username, call me Billy
It's because of intervals. 6-string drop A is a drop D like tuning with all strings tuned a fourth down. On the other hand, 7-string drop A is a standard tuning with an added low A string.

The 7-string guitar is not the same as a drop tuned 6 string guitar with an added high string. The 7-string guitar is a 6-string guitar with an added low string.

There needs to be a major third between the 3rd and 2nd string, and that applies to both the 7- and the 6-string guitar.

(7) 6  5  4  3  2  1

7-string: B  E  A  D  G  B  E
           p4 p4 p4 p4 M3 p4

6-string:    E  A  D  G  B  E
              p4 p4 p4 M3 p4

As you can see, in both tunings the intervals are exactly the same. The 7-string guitar just has an added low B string, that is a perfect 4th lower than the low E string of the 6-string guitar.

Notice that the 3rd string is G and the 2nd string is B in both tunings, and the interval between them is a major third.

Now let's look at the drop A tuning:

(7) 6  5  4  3  2  1

7-string: A  E  A  D  G  B  E
           p5 p4 p4 p4 M3 p4

6-string:    A  E  A  D  F# B
              p5 p4 p4 M3 p4

When we are talking about "drop X" tuning, that means that you drop the lowest string a whole step down from standard, but all of the other strings are tuned like in standard. This means there's a perfect 5th between the lowest and the second lowest string. But all of the other intervals stay the same as in standard. So on 6-string guitars the interval pattern for the tuning comes from drop D tuning, and 6-string drop A is basically just a transposed version of drop D.

In 7-string drop A, the 3rd string is G and the 2nd string is B. Again, that's a major third. But because the 3rd string in 6-string drop A is D, the 2nd string needs to be an F#, because D-F# is a major third. If it was A E A D G B, then the major third would be between the 2nd and 1st strings and there would be a perfect fourth between the 3rd and 2nd strings. This would most likely result in awkward chord shapes.

Now, how to play 6-string drop A songs in 7-string drop A? Just play everything that's supposed to be played on the F# string of the 6-string a half step lower. But actually, why not just tune the G string of your 7-string guitar a half step down? That would be the simplest solution (so the tuning would be A E A D F# B E). Of course that's not the most conventional 7-string tuning, but who cares? Same with drop G# songs (though I would prefer calling it drop Ab but that's just me). You would tune your guitar a half step down, but instead of tuning the G string of your 7-string down to F#, tune it down to F (so the tuning would be Ab Eb Ab Db F Bb Eb). This way you wouldn't need to make any changes to the fingerings.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jul 17, 2017,
periphery has a lot of songs played on a six that is just seven string tuning without the high e
just remember that drop A on a seven the base tuning is still e standard
on a six string the base tuning is B standard
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Yeah dropping the G string down to F# solves all your problems. It basically turns your 7-string from E-Standard tuned guitar with extra low B string to B Standard tuned guitar with extra high E, which you can ignore most of the time.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jul 18, 2017,
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Same with drop G# songs (though I would prefer calling it drop Ab but that's just me). You would tune your guitar a half step down, but instead of tuning the G string of your 7-string down to F#, tune it down to F (so the tuning would be Ab Eb Ab Db F Bb Eb)

It's not just you, I really wish they would fix some of the stupid tunings they have on the site because they insist on using all sharps. For instance, that one there would be G# D# G# C# E# A# D# although they'd probably incorrectly call it G# D# G# C# F A# D# with a flat 4th instead of a major 3rd.
Quote by MaaZeus
Yeah dropping the G string down to F# solves all your problems. It basically turns your 7-string from E-Standard tuned guitar with extra low B string to B Standard tuned guitar with extra high E, which you can ignore most of the time.

So then would the 7 string become AEADF#BE?

btw thanks to all helping answer my curiosity question
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- A cheap fender strat knock-off not worth naming
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
Parac

Exactly. Ben Eller made a whole video dedicated to this alternate 7 string tuning and how to effectively use it without neglecting the high e string completely. I'm on mobile right now so I cannot link it directly for the moment.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3