Hello all,
Recently I have been producing my bands EP, but I need to quantize the guitar DI's. (Im aware that many will call it cheating or whatever, I dont care, its for the professionalism of the EP) Im curious to see if anyone knows how to Quantize guitar DI's to a midi track. The Midi track would have the guitar parts placed out where theyd need to be to be perfect. Just want to know how I can quantize the DIs to that midi track 

Thanks in advance!
It isn't cheating. Ignore anyone who says that.

What DAW are you using? As far as I know, it isn't possible to quantize to MIDI but it could be a feature in some DAWs that I am unfamiliar with.

I would just use slip editing to be honest. If you let the computer grid everything you risk wasting more time going over it and fixing it, and also bear in mind that if you pin your left and right guitars too close to each other timing-wise then you will lose perceived width. Part of what makes double tracked rhythm guitars sound the way they do is the presence of small inconsistencies and differences between each side. Usually you want to preserve that.
Last edited by Random3 at Jul 16, 2017,
Random3 I use Reaper and Logic Pro X. I know in Logic Pro X there is a feature that will analyze a sound file and create a midi note pattern form there, but not the reverse. 
This is usually done for drums (stretch to time/align to grid). On guitars I am afraid you'll just have to play it right. You could try in small amounts, but not sure your results will work if you apply it on the whole project.
BTW - there is no guitar to midi. You can use Melodyne and Antares pitch shifting software to fix your pitch and timing issues, again I find that it works in small amounts. I'd say look up Melodyne first.
With Pro-Tools you have the T(X)CE tool, does reaper have something similar?
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
Quote by 77disturbed77
Hello all,
Recently I have been producing my bands EP, but I need to quantize the guitar DI's. (Im aware that many will call it cheating or whatever, I dont care, its for the professionalism of the EP) Im curious to see if anyone knows how to Quantize guitar DI's to a midi track. The Midi track would have the guitar parts placed out where theyd need to be to be perfect. Just want to know how I can quantize the DIs to that midi track 

Thanks in advance!

Just to be clear: MIDI is a signal that is essentially a digital trigger. It only triggers some other software to make a sound or perform a task. Think of MIDI as if it was the motion of your hands fretting and strumming. Without a guitar in your hands, you are just playing air guitar. So you cannot really make a digital trigger force an analog signal to be "right". As others have said, though, there is software that helps.

But really, you just need the guitar parts performed right. If you are recording everything to a strict tempo, you need to record the guitars with a click to the player's ears. If you are having trouble lining the guitar parts up to the tempo markings, zoom in on the track, find the transients, and line them up to the tempo.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jul 24, 2017,
Diabolical is correct we usually do this to only drums or bass or anything with clear transients, but it can be done with guitars it just takes longer if there are not a lot of transients for the daw to analyze. In protools i use beat detective to quantize bigger sections but for smaller parts i just use "tab to transient" which finds the begining of transient and i can slice and move maually. Reaper i think has function just like beat detective. I believe it is called dynamic split. Reaper may even have something like tab to transient also. I could be wrong i do not use reaper but  if memory serves i read an article about it in sound on sound magazine awhile back about it. Search the net for tutorials on dynamic split im sure there are some.