I got this Cort Les Paul copy new about 20 years ago, and the electrics have never been quite right. Noise on the bridge pickup that seems to originate with the switch (work it back and forth a little and it settles down a bit), noise and uneven response as you turn one of the volume pots, and a jack that spits out nothing but hum if you bump the lead the wrong way.

So I figure it's all got to go, and I might as well get a complete wiring kit. But which kit? An eBay A$10 special? Or something with vintage caps and a liberal sprinkling of snake oil for A$250? I'm not so much looking for a specific recommendation, but rather some guidelines of what to look out for.

I'm not looking to switch out the original designed-by-EMG "Select" passive humbuckers, so there's obviously limits to how amazing it's going to sound, I'm just looking for a kit that's no worse than the pickups!
If you're debating on harnesses between $10 - $250 why not shop smart to get all new electronics including some nice sounding new pups?  If your Cort LP has the same control setup as an actual LP you can get an entire Kwikplug setup from Guitar Fetish.  You can get the LP wiring kit for dual humbucker or dual humbucker with coil splits for between $23 -$27 for the entire shebang.  Then pick some new GFS Kuikplug HB's to your taste and they plug straight to the harness for around $33 - $40 each.  So you could have an entire new great sounding plug and play setup for as little as $89 - $107.  
And, of course, since a "kit" is just discreet components that someone else has soldered for you, you might consider just buying the bits and pieces at a huge savings and slinging some solder yourself. You already have the connections laid out for you.
Quote by Way Cool JR.
If you're debating on harnesses between $10 - $250 why not shop smart to get all new electronics including some nice sounding new pups?

I'm not seriously considering a $250 wiring kit, but yes, a complete new set including decent pickups for around $100 is probably something I should consider. From a quick look around I was expecting closer to $75 per pickup for something people would seriously recommend. But mostly the issue is being time-poor - with two young kids there's not much time left over to research the exact pickups I should get, what downsides exist with a system like Kwikplug (mo' unsoldered connections, mo' noise?), and do the extra work of replacing the pickups. That said, if there's a general consensus here (or even a lack of loud objections) that a Kwikplug rig would serve me well, I'd probably go with that option. Thanks.
Quote by dspellman
And, of course, since a "kit" is just discreet components that someone else has soldered for you, you might consider just buying the bits and pieces at a huge savings and slinging some solder yourself. You already have the connections laid out for you.

Mostly the lack of time. I'm pretty competent with a soldering iron, but at this point if I can pay 20% extra to have someone else do most of the work, I'll probably take that deal.
Quote by EdCof
Mostly the lack of time. I'm pretty competent with a soldering iron, but at this point if I can pay 20% extra to have someone else do most of the work, I'll probably take that deal.

As you wish. Most of the pre-done wiring harnesses I've seen have cost at least double what it would cost for the components, and there really isn't a lot of time involved.

That said, I wired up a JTM-45 kit from Metropoulis (when they still offered kits) and it was a pleasant weekend's puttering around. But when I talked to Nik Azam about a Ceriatone amp, and he explained what it would cost for me to simply have it hand-wired by his folks, I was blown away. They're so fast and so efficient and the extra cost is so little (and I honestly can't do better work) that it was a no-brainer.
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 16, 2017,
It could just be a matter of freshening up all the solder joints and spraying the switch, pots and input jack with DeoxIT
Quote by Guitaraxe
It could just be a matter of freshening up all the solder joints and spraying the switch, pots and input jack with DeoxIT

You may be right, though one of the pots definitely needs to be replaced (it actually feels gritty when I turn it, and gets stuck if I don't turn it for a few months).
Quote by EdCof
You may be right, though one of the pots definitely needs to be replaced (it actually feels gritty when I turn it, and gets stuck if I don't turn it for a few months).

If a DeoxIt flush doesn't help that you could always pull the cap of the pot and see whats up.