1 6%
Peavey
15 88%
Hughes and Kettner + cab
1 6%
Voters: 17.
Hi
I need help from you all.
I play In a metal band and our style is 80's thrash played In a modern(metalcore) Way.
I have to use a clean channel and because i am the rythm guitar In The band, i need to have a good solid/sharp/thick Distortion.
I used to own an Orange Thunderverb, But sold it a few years ago. I loved that AMP!

Now i need a new AMP and i have been offered three different used amps.
Marshall Mode Four 350w top - Peavey 6505+ 100 W top - Hughes And Kettner Tube 100 top AND cab.

Marshall costs 500 dollars
Hughes And Kettner with Cab 700 dollars
Peavey 6505+ 800 dollars

Help Me! Let Me know your opinion
No brainer. 6505+ is the amp for modern metalcore.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
agree 6505 is the ticket. if you can find a 5150 head that would certainly work or even an Ultra though the 6505 would be best. 
Definitely 6505+, but I notice you said you need a clean channel. Note that with the 6505+ the clean channel is shared with the crunch channel so you can't have pristine cleans and a meaty crunch at the same time since there is only one gain knob. Now, if you stay on the lead channel all the time like most modern metal does, it really doesn't matter. 

Never tried the Marshall you have listed, but if you get a change to try a Marshall DSL100, that is another solid choice but it will cost the same as the 6505+. 
What are the other two amps? You didn't list the models...

How about Mesa, Orange again? Or these are out of your price range?

Honestly, any of these will do, it'd depend if you want to sound like anyone else (6505) or make something interesting out of it by getting a differently voiced amp[.
Jeffh40
I thought about personalize my tone with an EQ pedal? Im a really solid rythm guitarist and i would benefit with an "icy" sharp distortion.. Like The orange i had.
Definitely NOT the Marshall.
The Tube 100 sounds interesting from what I could find (http://en.audiofanzine.com/tube-guitar-amp-head/hughes-kettner/tube-100/user_reviews/), but I am not sure. The 6505 seems the safest bet.

Maybe Tubemeister Deluxe 40 or Tubemeister 36 if you like H&K, they could be had around that price as well. 6505+ combo new is also around that price...or if you can find the 2x12 combo, it'd be perfect:
https://reverb.com/item/5847802-peavey-6505-2x12-combo-2005-black-5150-6505-5150iii-iii-evh
Just a couple notes on a few things mentions above.  I too am more of a rhythm guitarist than a lead, and play a lot of Thrash.   The 6505+ will be your best option of the 3 for what it is you're trying to do, but wouldn't be my first choice if given more options.  

Alex Skolnick of Testement used a MODE4 on 2 or 3 of the albums, and live during that time.  So it CAN be used for a good Thrash tone.  He also stated that it's VERY difficult to dial in properly and is a main reason it failed.

Personally, I wouldn't even THINK of getting a 6505 2x12 combo unless I didn't plan on moving it.  It's built like a brick sh*t house, and weighs a TON!  

I may have missed it, where are you located?  Your prices seem really high for those amps.  IDK about the the H&K but the 6505+ can be had for as low as $500 sometimes, usually around $600.  And the MODE4 I see for around $300.  I've actually been meaning to pick one up, so I've been looking lately.
Can you take your guitar and try them? I have no opinion at all on the choices, as it isn't my genre, but I'll note that it is possible that H&K is disadvantaged in polls because of relative lack of familiarity. I have an H&K hybrid style amp (SS, with pre and El84 power tubes) that I like a lot for its cleans and quality of construction.
Quote by diabolical
I'd love to see proof that Alex Skolnick used MODE4.

The H&K mentioned is not a bad amp, it was their lowest end tube amp at the time of production.
I usually find them overly bright overall, unless we're talking some of their solid state, I know they did a ss for nu-metal that was a total dud as one of the rental studios I use had them as house amps. Anyhow...that might be a good amp.

From what I remember of the Mode Four, it was pretty much garbage, Alex Skolnick or not. I am actually surprised that he used it, must've been before his Testament return as he was on Marshall and has switched to Kemper profiling amps now.
Quote by diabolical

From what I remember of the Mode Four, it was pretty much garbage, Alex Skolnick or not. I am actually surprised that he used it, must've been before his Testament return as he was on Marshall and has switched to Kemper profiling amps now.

I was surprised as well, but for their cost now, I want to try one.  He actually used his signature Budda (Peavey) amp after the Mode4, and still uses it along with a Kemper.  I saw a longer version of this video at one point, he was using the MODE4 with Testament.  He was also talking about his Heritage custom "signature" guitars in the longer version.
Quote by diabolical
Definitely NOT the Marshall.
The Tube 100 sounds interesting from what I could find (http://en.audiofanzine.com/tube-guitar-amp-head/hughes-kettner/tube-100/user_reviews/), but I am not sure. The 6505 seems the safest bet.

Maybe Tubemeister Deluxe 40 or Tubemeister 36 if you like H&K, they could be had around that price as well. 6505+ combo new is also around that price...or if you can find the 2x12 combo, it'd be perfect:
https://reverb.com/item/5847802-peavey-6505-2x12-combo-2005-black-5150-6505-5150iii-iii-evh

GASing for the Deluxe 40 and they're grab and go like the TubeMeister 36, so light.

You can also grab the older MIA 6505 and 6505+ heads for ~$500 from GC and CL.
Xander_X so for the most part looks like he used it as a preamp, most likely just a publicity stunt so he can have the endorsement. Mustaine did something similar by using his Line6 processor+amp but only plugging into the power amp at the end of it which got him to also keep his Rocktron endorsement at the time
diabolical
He didn't have an endorsement with Marshall. By the time this was recorded, the MODE4 was out of production. He stated he was buying them wherever he could find them.