For the past weeks I've really wanted to get a slide for my guitar. Basically because I wanted to play Rollin' and Tumblin' (the Clapton version). But after a few youtube videos I came to understand that slide doesn't really go with standard tuning. Did I get that wrong? Do I really have to retune in order to justify the cost of a slide? I never dared to tune my guitar to anything cept standard and I'm not sure I'm ready to go down that rabbit hole any day soon.

So, does that mean I shouldn't get a slide? 
What tuning does Clapton use in Unplugged? Anyone know?
well, slides are like $10, so if you have to "justify" that, you should probably just save the money.

But you can use a slide in any tuning you want, it's more about the unique sound than anything else. The idea behind using open tunings is to accommodate the constant barre so you're always playing "in the chord" no matter what string you play on. Arpeggios and triads are more accessible to the slide in open tunings.

Standard tuning still has two open/barre triads that are useful to playing slide, though. The G major formed by the open D G B strings, and the Em from the G B E strings.

If you want the really authentic Duane Allman or Derek Trucks slide sound, you should just go ahead and get used to sliding in open E, but if all you want is the tone of the slide then do what you find works best.
Quote by cdgraves
well, slides are like $10, so if you have to "justify" that, you should probably just save the money.

But you can use a slide in any tuning you want, it's more about the unique sound than anything else. The idea behind using open tunings is to accommodate the constant barre so you're always playing "in the chord" no matter what string you play on. Arpeggios and triads are more accessible to the slide in open tunings.

Standard tuning still has two open/barre triads that are useful to playing slide, though. The G major formed by the open D G B strings, and the Em from the G B E strings.

If you want the really authentic Duane Allman or Derek Trucks slide sound, you should just go ahead and get used to sliding in open E, but if all you want is the tone of the slide then do what you find works best.

I know, I'm just a tightwad. Thanks for the info. Guess I'm gettin' me a slide.