Poll: Epiphone sg g400 Vs esp ltd m100fr
Poll Options
View poll results: Epiphone sg g400 Vs esp ltd m100fr
Epiphone
4 100%
ESP
0 0%
Voters: 4.
I was looking for an electric guitar in a 300-400 dollar price range (25-35k INR). The guitar store had two guitars that caught my attention. An epiphone sg g400 and the esp ltd m100fr.
I have been playing the acoustic guitar for about an year and I wanted to buy a good beginner - mid range electric guitar. Should I consider the esp because I heard that tuning a Floyd rose guitar is difficult (it has a Floyd rose special)? Or is it better than the sg g400?
Last edited by n.adityadev at Jul 16, 2017,
They're 2 completely different guitars. What body style do you prefer? Would you like a thicker neck or a thinner neck? Would you like a more rounded fretboard or something that's almost flat? Do you want a Floyd or a fixed bridge? What sort of guitar are you actually looking for?

Floyd bridges can be very frustrating for newbs and they're a major pain in the ass if you're interested in playing multiple different tunings as with each change in tuning requires re-setting up the Floyd from scratch. Guitars with fixed bridges are far easier to set up in general and are a lot less of a hassle when you want to change tunings.

The Floyd Rose Special bridge is pretty cheap quality. The saddles are all made from cast zinc, so the threads for the screws that secure the saddle blocks in the bridge strip super easily and the baseplate isn't made from the best quality steel either. So the knife edges that help the bridge stay in tune tend to go blunt faster than higher quality Floyds. Also the bridge only has a pot metal block which saps sustain compared to higher mass blocks found on the better Floyds too. Ultimately you get what you pay for. I personally wouldn't get a Floyd as a beginner unless you own multiple guitars set up for different tunings, and even then, I'd only get a guitar with a 1000 series Floyd or better.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Knowing what I know now, for my first electric, I would have just gotten a nice higher end Squier Strat and a decent practice amp and called it a day.
Flying in a blue dream
I can't say nothing about the LTD, but I had a SG-400. I even wrote a review of it here on UG, if you want to know my opinion about it check it out here, but in a nutshell it's a really decent guitar, but still feels a bit cheap all around in my opinion. I wouldn't pay the 300€ new for it either (at least that's what it sells for around here), it'll easily loose it's value for less than half of that, you could get a better deal used, I think.

Edit: as others have pointed out, it really depends on what do you want to play: what's the genre you like to play the most? Tuning? Bands that inspire you? If you want to play anything that casually uses a tremolo system or if you prefer lower tunings you'd do a lot better with a Floyd Rose equipped guitar with 24 frets, being the LTD a better choice. If you want to be able to change tunings often I'd pick the Epi for the bridge simplicity.

Personally, I think I'd go with the LTD myself, they usually offer higher quality but the Epiphone isn't bad at all (I wouldn't have bought it in the first place otherwise).

About your concern, Floyd Rose bridges aren't difficult to tune or restring, just more time consuming because you have to cut the ball ends and lock them in place in the bridge with it's screws and you also have to lock the nut after tuning them the first time. The reason people complain about them is because they don't know how to restring them properly: either change a string at the time or use a rag or something to lock the bridge in place when you're restringing it, otherwise it'll take forever to level with the bridge springs. As long as you get it properly set up and that you never change the tuning or the string gauge you're fine, those are the nightmares of these (again, not for being difficult, but for being time-consuming). Since you're buying it from a store, ask them if they could set it up to your preferred string gauge and tuning and then never mess them up. Finally, be aware of the difference between Original Floyd Rose (OFR for reference) bridges and Licenced ones (which is the case of this model according to the online specs). Nothing wrong with that, my Jackson has a licenced one as well and it's fine, that just means it was not built by the "official" FR factories with their quality standards you can always expect from an OFR; a Licenced one can be either sh*t or awesome depending of the brand and price range (good rule of thumb - a FR guitar, new, for under $300 is crap). The reason you'd want a FR bridge is to stay in tune, well if you cheap out it won't. I can't say about the quality of the bridge in this particular model because, again, never tried it, so make your own research. Just don't buy the "you can upgrade later" because the added cost of a better bridge could now buy you a better one [if that's the case], not to say you might have to route the body to fit a different one.

Anyways, that depends or what you want from it. I didn't felt in love with the Epi to straight away recommend it, my ultimate advice would be to find a reputable store selling used guitars and spend your $350 there, guitars don't go obsolete.
'07 Jackson Pro Dinky DK2M (MIJ)
Squier Strat SE
Marshall Valvestate VS15R practice amp
Last edited by andre.fontes.es at Jul 17, 2017,
If I were you, I'd expand my search. I don't usually care for SGs because they can be neck-heavy, and I'm not sure that having a FR on the guitar is anything but a distraction for a beginner. My suggestion would be to keep looking, look toward used guitars (more bang for your buck), and find someone better versed in guitars than you to help check out your choices.