Beachgoers form human chain to rescue swimmers caught in rip current.

A group of strangers banded together to rescue two children that were swept away in the rip tide.

Family says 'thank you' to the 'angels' who formed human chain to rescue them off Florida coast

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/family-says-thank-angels-formed-human-chain-rescue-133705927--abc-news-topstories.html

The good Samaritans who formed a human chain off the coast of Florida to rescue swimmers caught in a rip current were reunited today with the parents of the family they saved.

“Ya’ll were the angels that day that saved my family,” a tearful Roberta Ursrey said today on “Good Morning America” after hugging the strangers who jumped in the ocean to help. “Without ya’ll and God that day, we wouldn’t be here.”

Good Samaritans form human chain to rescue swimmers caught in rip current off Florida coast

Roberta Ursrey and her husband, Brian Ursrey, of Panama City, were enjoying a beach day at Panama City Beach July 8 when their two sons, Noah, 11, and Stephen, 8, got caught in a rip current.

The Ursreys and Roberta Ursrey’s mother, Barbara, at least two other family members and two strangers who swam out to help Noah and Stephen all became caught too

Derek and Jessica Simmons were swimming with their family after dinner when they saw the Ursreys stranded in the water and called out for strangers on the beach to link arms to reach them in the water.

“I knew just on prior instinct, growing up around rivers and lakes, that if you’re too far out you’ve got to have something to get back in,” Derek Simmons, 26, said today on “GMA.” “We didn’t have a rope or we didn’t have anything so the only thing that could come to my mind was arm to arm we can make length and we can get out to them.”

“It was just on a whim,” said Simmons, who was joined in the water by his mother, Mary Simmons, and relatives Kelsea Hogeland, Adam Cagle and Katelyn Hogeland, in addition to his wife.

Jessica Simmons, 29, swam out to the Ursreys with a boogie board and helped bring each stranded swimmer back to the chain, which then pulled each of the stranded swimmers safely to shore.

The chain eventually grew to about 40 people, according to a police report obtained by ABC News. The report estimates the swimmers were stuck nearly 70 yards away from the shoreline.

"It was amazing to see the entire chain form when they could have been doing anything else they wanted to,” Bryan Ursrey said. “They just stopped doing everything they were doing to form it at that point. It didn’t matter who you where, what race you were from, what your background is, they stopped to help save my family.”

Derek Simmons said he too was struck by how strangers came together on the beach.

“That was the most unbelievable part for myself was to see all different nationalities, people that doesn’t speak the same language, races, shape, size, religion, it didn’t matter at that point,” he said.

Roberta Ursrey’s mother, Barbara, 68, suffered aheart attack during the rescue ordeal but is expected to make a full recovery, Roberta Ursrey said.

Noah and Stephen, who thanked the good Samaritans in a taped message that aired on “GMA,” are also fully recovered but scared to return to the ocean.

“They don’t want to go to the beach anytime soon but they’re good,” Roberta Ursrey said.

The rescuers, whose quick thinking and actions quickly earned them acclaim, said they were just doing for the Ursrey family what they would want others to do for them.

“I think the message for me is that if you’re unsure, of course, I wouldn’t want to hear of anyone hurting themselves, but do unto others as you’d want done unto you,” Derek Simmons said. “So, you know, if you can help somebody, it doesn’t have to save a life, but if you can feed them, feed them, if they’re hungry.”

He added, “That’s just how we were brought up is that you lend a hand to anyone in need that you can.”
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Saw this last week and thought it was pretty fucking cool.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
JustRooster Yeah I thought it was worth posting as positive stories like this are far outnumbered by negative stories in the news these days.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by Evilnine
“[...] do unto others as you’d want done unto you,” Derek Simmons said.

Derek, this is golden advice, right up until you tell it to a masochist.
That is how ants cross lakes too, they all hold onto each other while a few hold onto the edge and make a bridge
friends
Quote by Bladez22
That is how ants cross lakes too, they all hold onto each other while a few hold onto the edge and make a bridge

Ants are cool af. I like watching them ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa
Ants are cool af. I like watching them ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ

look at the ants on the floor
They work real hard
Lifting 5x their mass
And sometimes more
friends
Same thing happened in Corpus Christi sometime when I was a kid and I was there for it too. Dad was even part of the chain.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
And you know why it turned out fine? Because it isn't a story about cellphones.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
And you know why it turned out fine? Because it isn't a story about cellphones.

Oooh edgy
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Could have had just one/two dudes with flippers and a floaty smh

Useless ass lifeguards
My God, it's full of stars!
Swimming parallel to the beach until you're free from the tide is the best way to get out of trouble but I can't imagine two kids in a panic state could manage to remember that if they even knew in the first place.

Dreadnought I was thinking that too .
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by Joshua Garcia
Same thing happened in Corpus Christi sometime when I was a kid and I was there for it too. Dad was even part of the chain.

Hats off to your dad!
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

glad it turned out with a happy ending.

I once witnessed a chain rescue at the beach. It was a long time ago when I was little. we were swimming and then all of a sudden life guards start telling everyone to get out of the water like it was Jaws. I think 7 people drowned that day and i remember them making a chain to try to find the bodies. Wouldnt want to be the person who ended up kicking the poor soul.
Bet the two kids were on their phones the whole time
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Quote by Evilnine
Oh edgy
why did you attempt to make sassy responses to this in 3 separate posts
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by K33nbl4d3
why did you attempt to make sassy responses to this in 3 separate posts

My tablet was messing up there should have been one "edgy"  post but it didnt show up until I  had already reposted.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge