There are two types for guitar: Chords or tab.
 All that's available for bass is tab. 
 A format with just the note names would be an improvement. It would help people learn the notes on the fingerboard, just as guitarists learn the chords from the names. And it would be more flexible to allow someone to choose their own location to play the notes. Even with chords, a guitarist still has to choose the chord with the pitch he wants.  Example: Bm7 from the second fret or the seventh? 
I'm learning both bass and guitar. Having a makes more sense for an unrefined dolt like myself. I do see that Chords will show. As a hobbyist, I'm not refined enough to run with chords. I'd like to be there, but now isn't the time.  

I use a 5-string bass, tuned BEADG, which compliments my guitars running Drop C, Drop B and 7-string B-standard tuning. Right now, I find it easier to adapt this way.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
bar2271 Generally speaking I think the site might be erring on the side of being too restrictive. If you look at some of the older tabs there is little or no consistency. That can be confusing for newbies of course but if you'd have been around then you could have pretty much submitted what you wanted. For example if a bass pattern repeats continuously through a song I'd prefer just the pattern or more frequently patterns. I really don't want to wade through line after line of repeated bass through a whole song. I've also tabbed ou most of the songs I play that way but don't submit them any more because I'd have to redo the songs in an accepted format. Most of my tabs are 4-5* and I have literally hundreds of others to offer but it's pretty clear they aren't wanted.

having said that they are moving pretty much in the direction of everything being on one of the midi formats (Guitar Pro etc.) If they achieve all the songs in those formats then you'll have all the note information in the form of conventional music if that's what you want. It's a great system but I don't have the patience or skill to contribute to that.

If i'm working on a new song I tend to download the chords and the bass tab and put them next to each other. Rather than just slavishly play by numbers I then get a better understanding of what the original songwriter was doing. It frees me up to play other scale tones to flavour the bass lines in my own way and usually suggests a better way of fretting the notes. I tend to think in terms of which scale tone I'm playing rather than the note.

In the end though despite my gripes this site is a brilliant resource and the people here have done a fantastic job.
bjgrifter 

I can see how multiple instruments would be useful with different tunings. I've been looking into a 5 string bass myself. 
But that also adds to my point. Tab is very limited. 5 string basses and 7 string guitars throws everything off with tab. Standard notation does not. Or some other system that uses notes and octaves would work. It wouldn't matter what instrument you used. 
Phil Starr 

Guitar pro is still tab. Why put all that effort into a beginner system? That same effort could be put into a more useful format. Does tab help you learn the notes on your fingerboard? No. Does it help with octaves? No. Does it even help you learn the notes you are playing? No. 
Some folks here have gotten too nitpicky on submissions wanting rests measures etc. for a system that isn't worth that extra effort. 
I'm not too sure how to help you here, I'm not clear what you are after. Guitar Pro isn't tab, it is just displayed as such on this site. If you load it into Guitar Pro or Tux guitar a bit of freeware you'll find it's a midi file that can be played re programmed or displayed as a written music score in conventional notation, you can display it or use it pretty much as you wish. If you can read music then you have all the notes. In fact Tab gives you the notes and octaves in that if you know which string and which fret you know the note if you can read tab.
Quote by bar2271
bjgrifter

I can see how multiple instruments would be useful with different tunings. I've been looking into a 5 string bass myself. 
But that also adds to my point. Tab is very limited. 5 string basses and 7 string guitars throws everything off with tab. Standard notation does not. Or some other system that uses notes and octaves would work. It wouldn't matter what instrument you used. 

Yeah, learned on sheet music with brass instruments (baritone, trombone, sousaphone) and briefly on tenor sax. But that was in high school. Now that I'm picking up guitar and bass, I know it's possible, but without a good handle on the fretboard (something I need to work on), sheet music doesn't fly. Chords would be a better option, since you can hover over them with a pointer, or I can look them up in a chord book (until I learn chords). Tabs make easier for dolts to get the idea. I use them when I want to note a riff for myself on a notepad. However, I can appreciate the limitations. 

I think you're not in a winnable situation, because those looking at tabs aren't one specific set of knowledge. I've heard Corey from Trivium and Bill from Mastodon cite UG tabs as useful, but I'd wager a good chunk of folks are bedroom performers who aren't trained and don't read sheet music and/or know chords that well. The disparity in knowledge makes getting a single or universal system down difficult.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Quote by bjgrifter
Yeah, learned on sheet music with brass instruments (baritone, trombone, sousaphone) and briefly on tenor sax. But that was in high school. Now that I'm picking up guitar and bass, I know it's possible, but without a good handle on the fretboard (something I need to work on), sheet music doesn't fly. Chords would be a better option, since you can hover over them with a pointer, or I can look them up in a chord book (until I learn chords). Tabs make easier for dolts to get the idea. I use them when I want to note a riff for myself on a notepad. However, I can appreciate the limitations. 

I think you're not in a winnable situation, because those looking at tabs aren't one specific set of knowledge. I've heard Corey from Trivium and Bill from Mastodon cite UG tabs as useful, but I'd wager a good chunk of folks are bedroom performers who aren't trained and don't read sheet music and/or know chords that well. The disparity in knowledge makes getting a single or universal system down difficult.

Tab is still going to be inaccurate for retuned instruments, isn't it?
 All I'm saying is to have a note system for bass that is similar to the chords option for guitar. 
Last edited by bar2271 at Jul 23, 2017,
Phil Starr 

Thanks, I'll look into other options with that software. 
I'm not going to contribute anything more, either. It's too much trouble with the nitpickers around here.