Page 1 of 2
2 weeks ago, 2 friends and I went on a roadtrip across the west coast. It was an amazing and unforgettable experience that I’d like to share with you guys.

My friend proposed the trip because she’s a musician who feels stifled by her current place on the east coast, and wanted to survey 4 iconic cities along the Pacific to seek a potential future. It was kind of last minute, so we strung together a very loose plan starting from Los Angeles and driving up to San Francisco, before transferring to Portland and Seattle, and improvised most of the way to many wonderful memories.

Along the way, I got better with my camera...putting big boy pants on and using manual settings for the first time LOL...I think this is evident as you advance through the photos.

I will try to keep the rest brief of words and let the pics speak.

Day 1-2: Los Angeles
All 3 of us have been to LA before, so this portion of the trip was fairly low key. My main concerns were eating my favorite ramen (Silverlake Ramen) and doing a canyon drive up Angeles Crest. There happened to be an 80s night at a club, and it was such a good vibe, with the gothic/victorian decked out surroundings and chill people who are just looking for a good time. LA has many rough or bland patches, but when you know the who/what/when/where’s, there’s no place I’d rather be.

Day 3: Pacific Coastal Highway
Among many others, this is probably the experience that astounded me the most. An utterly awe-inspiring range of terrains, landscapes, and weather in the span of 8 hours and just a few hundred miles. I can’t be bothered to put it into words effectively, but suffice to say this is something everyone should do if given the chance. A good chunk of the official route was unfortunately impossible due to a landslide at Big Sur, but route 101 through Lake Cachuma’s mountain terrain more than substituted.

As it was getting dark, the sun almost set in a gorgeous mahogany red against the clear skies and Pacific beyond the horizon. But as we got close to San Francisco, the landscape very quickly changed from the southern carefree tropical to an eery, Lynchian mist of impending and all encompassing fog. It became a second horizon and sunset, but this time the sun illuminated a red from hell against the ominous fog and cloud. It was truly unreal, and unfortunately I didn’t get it on camera very well.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jul 19, 2017,
Day 4-6: San Francisco
This is probably the most beautiful city in the US. The architecture oozes character,supported by the surrounding ocean and dramatic changes in elevation that is always present as backdrop. There’s also a WALL of cloud surrounding the city over the water, but it never seems to advance.

Surprisingly, I feel like the much praised Chinatown is a disappointment, based on the subpar dimsum I had, limited as that may be. There are also some pockets of town that are too libtarded/hipster for me to tolerate, with the constant and oppressively on-the-nose signage on storefronts advertising their stance on Trump (yes, we get it, literally Hitler, yadayada) and comically obsessive support of transgendered women.

There was a moment of great symbolism when I saw a foreclosed storefront plastered with flyers shouting solidarity with undocumented immigrants, taking great pains to remind them of their rights and all that good stuff. Meanwhile right next to this collage of SJW utopia lays a homeless man in clear misery, just one of many in the city. If you don’t understand the symbolism here, you might be a libtard.

No big deal, just a fuckin vintage Alfa Romeo shop smack dab in the middle of a block corner

Lombard Street

Battery Spencer vantage point]

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Day 7-8: Portland
Portlandia might as well be a documentary. I loved it here, though it was surprisingly suburbia. The people are so relaxed. They may be hippies and hipsters, but it’s clear they don’t have the militant fervor of their SF counterparts...probably thanks to all that legal DANK kush. The food was unbelievably good, and establishments had so much spunky character of various kind.

Brunch at a place with working arcades as tables!! The restaurant isn’t even video game themed, these are just there because why not?

An afternoon in Portland Forest Park

Next day in Portland Japanese Garden

Rose Garden

Should be familiar to those who played Tony Hawk

Day 9-10: Seattle
I really loved the layout and vibes of this city. Being a major tech hub, it had a unique blend of the anally formal Northeast biz people along with the relaxed hipsterdom of Portlandia. Also excellent food and a wide variety of cultures. The vaunted underground city tour was a bit of a letdown but still interesting. The homes in the surrounding suburbs are beautifully modern/minimalist on the inside, my favorite. Barring depressive rain which I did not encounter at all, this was the city I felt most comfortable imagining moving to in a few years out of the 4.

Gutted that I didn’t get a chance to capture the skyline with a clear view of Mt Rainier, which is faintly to the right.

Bike polo at 11PM, Tuesday

Never went up here because everyone says it’s a tourist trap

Pasta place with 3 pastas, open during weekday lunches only.

For some reason, UPS has a fucking gorgeous garden dedicated to itself?
[

In the early settlement days, which are now underground. They installed these gems that shines light through the sidewalk.

Day 11: Mt. Rainier / back to Portland
The last day was a rush job, as we had to drive back to Portland to fly home (it was cheaper or something than Seattle). I strongly lobbied to detour in Mt. Rainier and we were so glad we did. This place is unbelievably majestic, and seems to capture the essence of Americana. I could spend days hiking and reflecting here, and will do in the future.

Back in Portland at a cider house before airport

Hopefully that was at least somewhat interesting to you. It was a hell of a challenge selecting a limited number of photos, which of course don’t do it all justice. Goes without saying that if you ever get the chance, you should road trip across the west coast with some good friends. This is one of those life truly worth living situations.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
💦 💦 💦

💦 💦 💦

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Nice post I've been to both California and Washington State, both have some of the most beautiful and amazing places to visit. LA is an overrated, dirty city with too much traffic and lots of smog. Seattle is great, and Mt. Rainier is pretty underrated, a real must see.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by k.lainad
LA is an overrated, dirty city with too much traffic and lots of smog.

yeah :')

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Best thing Portland has to offer is the vegan strip club where you can only slip 2 dollar bills in the panties of punk strippers.  
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
i'm gonna read this later.

i've been seriously thinking about moving to Portland once i can secure a better job than unskilled labor and have some extra money in the bank. a year or two maybe.

still...

east coast, fuck you
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Nice bro

My trip to the west coast was also filled with some of the best times and scenery I've ever experienced. It's really a beautiful place. Everything looked familiar to me in your California pics and brought back great memories. Unfortunately I never made it up to Oregon or Washington. 
Awesome story, my man.

I likely wouldn't live on the coast if I ever moved out West. I'd probably live in the Mojave of California.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by jakesmellspoo

i've been seriously thinking about moving to Portland once i can secure a better job than unskilled labor and have some extra money in the bank. a year or two maybe.

There is work here.  Biggest issue right now is retention - no one can pass a piss test.  If you plan on service industry, be prepared to work 2-3 jobs.

Also, read this regarding skilled labor demand in Portland. https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/oregon/articles/2017-07-19/cranes-crowd-portland-skyline-as-building-boom-continues
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
V nice. I was just up in Seattle myself and I was surprised how much I enjoyed the vibe of the city.
Sweet trip fella. My parents and I did similar ish in 2004.

Started in SF. Place was a dive tbh. Never seen so many homeless people. Only redeeming feature was the size of th strawberries on the seafront place.

Down PCH to L.A.. love L.A. such a cool place. Loads of sweet cars I liked too.

Then in to Vegas. Hot and crazy but not somewhere I would want to spend much time.

Down to Grand Canyon. Pretty impressive.

Back to Vegas for one night.

Then up to Yosemite. Beautiful area.

Back to SF to fly home.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

Nice shots. There's something way more endearing that I love about the first "amateur" ones compared to the ones later where you actually tried to be artsy. They feel more like good old remembrance photos of a chill roadtrip than instagram bait.

Sounds super fun, dude. I've been wanting to move to somewhere like Portland or Seattle, or maybe a smaller town outside of them, for a long time. Anything would be better than where I live now tho tbh.
Thanks everybody! I'd love to hear your thoughts on these places if you've been.

I think we can resoundingly agree....... FUCK east coast

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by institutions
Nice shots. There's something way more endearing that I love about the first "amateur" ones compared to the ones later where you actually tried to be artsy. They feel more like good old remembrance photos of a chill roadtrip than instagram bait.
lol I see what you mean. Tho I don't fuck with instagram at all.

Quote by Blayney

Started in SF. Place was a dive tbh. Never seen so many homeless people. Only redeeming feature was the size of th strawberries on the seafront place
Uncanny how the more north I went, the more homeless people there were. Seattle was chock full of them. I don't mind that much tho.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
what xixi failed to mention is that we hung out. here's a pic of us

Quote by Pastafarian96
Quote by Xiaoxi
lol I see what you mean. Tho I don't fuck with instagram at all.

Uncanny how the more north I went, the more homeless people there were. Seattle was chock full of them. I don't mind that much tho.

Seattle also has some of the best services in the country for homeless populations. Other cities/jurisdictions actually export their homeless to Seattle.

Rad trip bro. Rainier is great, but you only got a taste of the beauty of the mountains up there.

Where did you eat in Seattle?
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by M00NAGEDAYDREAM
what xixi failed to mention is that we hung out. here's a pic of us

Damn bro. If I'd known, I would have huu.

Quote by Dreadnought

Rad trip bro. Rainier is great, but you only got a taste of the beauty of the mountains up there.

Where did you eat in Seattle?
Oh I know. There'll be more trips.

Let's see if I can remember all...

Started off with a lunch in Paseo in Fremont. BOMBASS Cuban sandwich, goddamn.
various things around Pike Place during the afternoon
Soi in Capitol Hill. Fresh modern take on Thai food, was GOOD

next day...
Il Corvo pasta near Pike.
Storyville Coffee for afternoon snack. This place really impressed me, probably my favorite coffee shop.
Kracken Kongee for a light dinner. Pretty good...I remember seeing it on some cooking show years ago.

I also had a midnight dinner after getting settling into our Airbnb. Place was simply called Wonton Noodle House lol, in some suburb north of the city.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
lol I haven't been to any of those. Seattle has tons of great food, can't visit them all
Great trip man, looks like you got a good taste of the area.  We do have more than our share of fruits and nuts, sometimes crushing traffic,  but the climate and scenery are epic.

We will be heading north next month along the 395 east of the Sierras which should be a good photo op.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Great trip man, looks like you got a good taste of the area.  We do have more than our share of fruits and nuts, sometimes crushing traffic,  but the climate and scenery are epic.

We will be heading north next month along the 395 east of the Sierras which should be a good photo op.
west coast traffic, even LA or NYC, is nothing compared to DC. At least you guys have great scenery to stare at.

You drivin up in the Cayman? That would be epic. I WILL ship my BMW there someday and do the drives along the whole coast.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Damn bro. If I'd known, I would have huu..

its all good
honestly I mightve been in Berkeley around your time in SF

Quote by Pastafarian96
Quote by Xiaoxi
west coast traffic, even LA or NYC, is nothing compared to DC. At least you guys have great scenery to stare at.

You drivin up in the Cayman? That would be epic. I WILL ship my BMW there someday and do the drives along the whole coast.

Well we are heading to Idaho for the solar eclipse with wifey and STUFF so it will probably be the "leather couch with wheels" (Lexus).  Mostly long straight highways so less interesting for the Pcar.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Xiaoxi

Quote by Dreadnought
Seattle also has some of the best services in the country for homeless populations. Other cities/jurisdictions actually export their homeless to Seattle.

Portland is chock full.  There are a lot of great programs in place, possibly most notable is the Transition Projects program, which provides housing and life-changing assistance to the homeless.  It's mostly recovery based, so all tenants go through rigorous drug testing to be able to stay.  And I'm not talking small shelter or anything, the downtown location is a 100 unit apartment complex.  The idea is you get an apartment, you recover, you have a mailing address, they help you with some medical and mental care, they help you find a job and provide workshops for job skills, and eventually you leave by getting your own place - hence "transition".  Big issue is the place is surrounded by crack dealers, and the police don't enforce - so it's a huge relapse risk.  

I also happen to know in Portland at least, the funding (and therefor staffing and resources) in the Multnomah County Jail for addiction recovery and psychological care is much higher than surrounding areas.  Many special needs inmates are transferred, and a lot of these guys and ladies are released into the city which they aren't familiar with and is full of rampant drug use.  It's a bottleneck that is at least somewhat contributing to the homelessness - and this information comes from a friend of mine who is a CO there.   I imagine Seattle is much the same.  
-Matt Fucking Pike
Quote by Badluckpalms
Portland is chock full.  There are a lot of great programs in place, possibly most notable is the Transition Projects program, which provides housing and life-changing assistance to the homeless.  It's mostly recovery based, so all tenants go through rigorous drug testing to be able to stay.  And I'm not talking small shelter or anything, the downtown location is a 100 unit apartment complex.  The idea is you get an apartment, you recover, you have a mailing address, they help you with some medical and mental care, they help you find a job and provide workshops for job skills, and eventually you leave by getting your own place - hence "transition".  Big issue is the place is surrounded by crack dealers, and the police don't enforce - so it's a huge relapse risk.  

I also happen to know in Portland at least, the funding (and therefor staffing and resources) in the Multnomah County Jail for addiction recovery and psychological care is much higher than surrounding areas.  Many special needs inmates are transferred, and a lot of these guys and ladies are released into the city which they aren't familiar with and is full of rampant drug use.  It's a bottleneck that is at least somewhat contributing to the homelessness - and this information comes from a friend of mine who is a CO there.   I imagine Seattle is much the same.  

Nice, I'm surprised to see someone else on UG knows about this stuff.

Seattle has a lot of various types of housing for low or no income people, in various stages of addiction. My wife worked for Plymouth Housing during her year with Americorps (she's a social worker), and they have a lot of buildings (can't remember how many) that are focused mostly on a "housing first" model, which is an approach that believes housing stability should be established first in order for a person to get back on their feet.

DESC has even more housing buildings throughout the city, although they operate under some different models and older systems. Between the two, some are total abstinence buildings, although those are few, some have little to no rules about that kinda stuff, some are in between, etc. very interesting.

There was a position at each of Plymouth's buildings that more or less amounted to a case manager for the tenants.

The wait list to get into Plymouth's buildings is incredibly long. They provide great services though and are a great non-profit. The head guy is incredible.

Do you work in some sort of social services field in Portland?
thoughts - 

i la

i sf slightly less but still a lot  

101 is the second nicest place i've driven (first place goes to the great ocean road) 

I've only been to portland once, doubt I'd wanna live there, but there's that cool bookstore that I didn't go to

never been outside of seatac and I would probably hate the weather but it is a nice airport and one of these days I'll make it outside 

oh also, i like the east coast but the roads suck and it's too cold 

also perhaps my other experiences have made me immune but I didn't think there were that many homeless people in sf? well there are but i never interacted with any of them so tmaybe their presence does not register
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Jul 19, 2017,
Quote by Dreadnought
Nice, I'm surprised to see someone else on UG knows about this stuff.

Seattle has a lot of various types of housing for low or no income people, in various stages of addiction. My wife worked for Plymouth Housing during her year with Americorps (she's a social worker), and they have a lot of buildings (can't remember how many) that are focused mostly on a "housing first" model, which is an approach that believes housing stability should be established first in order for a person to get back on their feet.

DESC has even more housing buildings throughout the city, although they operate under some different models and older systems. Between the two, some are total abstinence buildings, although those are few, some have little to no rules about that kinda stuff, some are in between, etc. very interesting.

There was a position at each of Plymouth's buildings that more or less amounted to a case manager for the tenants.

The wait list to get into Plymouth's buildings is incredibly long. They provide great services though and are a great non-profit. The head guy is incredible.

Do you work in some sort of social services field in Portland?

the Transitions Project is much the same.  Several buildings are operated, including as you said different models and systems.   I think in all there are 5 or 6 locations, not counting the shelters they operate.  The one I mentioned is interesting because it's a city subsidized unit.  The building was built to be high end apartments, but 3/4 the way through the developer ran into money issues. So the city/county came in, financed the completion, and in exchange took control and essentially "donated" its use to the Transition Project group.  But as you said, the list is very long.  The average tenant stays 6-9 months, so you figure the one location probably helps 150 people or so assimilate back into functioning society per year.  

right now the newest thing is RV homelessness.  They form a small convoy and take over a street.  For example on my way to work one of the streets has (as of my count a couple weeks ago) 17 campers lined up.  This is all over the city, outskirts included.  And the city is totally overwhelmed so they really aren't getting rid of them.  In fact this morning I noticed a camper with planter boxes and fresh planted flowers lining the outside of the camper, and it even had a waving lawn gnome.  Foreclosures and people losing their homes is currently redefining the stereotypes people have been perpetuating regarding homelessness in the town.  It doesn't bother me, it just shows me they need a break.

I don't work in social work, but it's Portland, everyone knows someone who works in social services haha.  
-Matt Fucking Pike
Quote by guitarxo

never been outside of seatac and I would probably hate the weather but it is a nice airport and one of these days I'll make it outside 

Like me at ATL, seriously passed through a dozen times and not once have I breathed fresh air in Atlanta.  I keep telling myself one day I'll go outside.
-Matt Fucking Pike
Those are some really great pics man
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Nice pics, looks great. I've often thought about going over Oregon way (habit of scouring google maps for interesting locations), may have to check it out some time for real when I have money
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Xiaoxi
Day 1-2: Los Angeles
All 3 of us have been to LA before, so this portion of the trip was fairly low key. My main concerns were eating my favorite ramen (Silverlake Ramen) and doing a canyon drive up Angeles Crest. There happened to be an 80s night at a club, and it was such a good vibe, with the gothic/victorian decked out surroundings and chill people who are just looking for a good time. LA has many rough or bland patches, but when you know the who/what/when/where’s, there’s no place I’d rather be.

bruh, is that a rental?

I drove the exact same thing around the scottish highlands for two weeks last year. Its a bit gutless, but I actually thought it felt pretty great for a small car through the corners

cool trip lol
Quote by Diamond Dave
bruh, is that a rental?

I drove the exact same thing around the scottish highlands for two weeks last year. Its a bit gutless, but I actually thought it felt pretty great for a small car through the corners

cool trip lol
yea we had 2 rentals. LA-SF was the Yaris...a lot of fun in the canyons. And Portland-Seattle was a Subaru Impreza Wagon sport pkg. I actually liked both of them, but damn it felt GOOD firing up my own cars when I got home.

I knew the Yaris was gonna be at least somewhat fun. You can't beat a small light hatch. My fave is Fiesta ST.

Any feedback on the photos, photo guru? lol

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by guitarxo
thoughts - 

i la

i sf slightly less but still a lot  

101 is the second nicest place i've driven (first place goes to the great ocean road) 
hell yea

do the route 2 drive up North Hollywood mountains next time.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Page 1 of 2