Hey guys! Long time lurker, first time poster. Happy to be here!! Anyway, lets get to business. To keep a long story short, I had a whole guitar setup taken from me a fender, a loud combo amp , a gig bag cables etc, it was stolen, and pawned off, anyway the guy who sold it, is paying me back (yay small claims court) anyway, couldn't get my gear back, plus my choice in the music i want to play has changed back to some old school thrash metal, metallica, megadeth, testament , exodus, anthrax , slayer, blah blah blah, all the greats, I've got my pedals picked out, which will be in the 150 dollars range, which leaves me about 850.00's to play with , i need a good solid amp , something loud enough to play over drums , thinking some kind of 100watt 212 combo at least, and i have to pick a guitar, i am thinking i want a double cut away "super strat " kinda style guitar, some big strong humbuckers, i prefer active, and i want a whammy bar, but the kinda strat style bridge as in non floating, i dont wanna deal with a floyd, i tend to mess with lots of different tunings, and ill only have the 1 guitar for now! Thanks in advance guys, currently my buddies and I are covering some metallica, and soon some megadeth tunes, but i dabble in a bunch of different metal, so yeah, any advice absolutely appreciated, thanks again guys!
Where are you located?
Are you willing to buy used?
Are you set on the bridge choice? Not a lot of guitars in the "metal" offering have the strat style bridge, they tend to be Floyd or fixed so it will limit your choices
Im in michigan, have no problem buying used, after more consideration, i think i will go with something WITH a floyd actually...as i always have the option to tremel-no or block it off
A Jet City combo and a Godin Redline should get you there on budget. The Redline 2 will have EMGs and a hardtail. The Redline 3 will have EMGs and a Floyd Rose trem.
https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=godin%20redline
https://reverb.com/marketplace/amps/guitar-combos?query=jet-city&make=jet-city
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Keep an eye out for used a Jackson DKMG - made in japan with a Floyd and EMG pickups, should take about half of your budget, or I have seen some LTD H-1000 and MH-1000 go for around $450 on occasion, used Schecter Blackjack or SLS (Floyd models). For an amp go used, keep an eye out for used Jet City, Peavey 6505+, XXX or JSX combos.
You really can't go wrong with a mid-range Ibanez, Jackson, LTD, or Schecter. Guitars are just so damn good for the money these day, just try to play them first if you can.

As for an amp, is this just for home practice or are you playing shows or practicing with a drummer? That really needs to be answered before we can give solid suggestions.
Good point.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I will be playing at home, fortunately for me, my roommates are another guitar player and a drummer, so im definitely looking for something big/loud enough to play with drums. Also if there's a good amp close to my budget , then it wouldn't be too hard to save up just a bit of extra cash , thanks for all the suggestions so far guys , i have definitely had my eye on jackson and ibanez for a while now, and played a few at my local guitar shops for the pastfew days
Welll...20w is probably right about a s low wattage as you can go and still have a good, controllable sound when you play with a drummer. Anything smaller and your amp will be working too hard to pump the volume to retain any semblance of a good clean tone.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Welll...20w is probably right about a s low wattage as you can go and still have a good, controllable sound when you play with a drummer. Anything smaller and your amp will be working too hard to pump the volume to retain any semblance of a good clean tone.

My personal "bump point" with amps and drummers is in the 30-50W range, and for a long time my rehearsal amp was an open back 100W Mesa-alike combo with a single 12" speaker. You can always turn down.

If you're going to "mess with a lot of different tunings," and use just one guitar, consider a Variax JTV-89. 24 frets, 16" radius fretboard, jumbo frets, a good set of slightly hot passive pickups, all of the Variax electronics including instant alternate tunings without affecting the string tension.

The second 12" speaker really doesn't add much other than weight. "Easier to cart around" is definitely a thing, and that amp was already a solid 75 lbs. More wood and a second speaker magnet just didn't appeal. I've variously had an EV-L, an Eminence Delta ProA and a Brit-voiced 100W speaker in that thing. The first two will easily handle 200-400W; the Brit-voiced speaker was rated at 100W but never faltered, even when that amp was seriously cranked.

If you're not going to have a locking nut on the headstock, my suggestion is that your headstock be a straight-pull (fewer tuning issues). I'm generally not a fan of EMG active pickups; I think a good passive is better in most cases. That said, I've got some AHD Blackouts on a couple of guitars and Bartolini actives (not available any more) on a couple of others. The Bartolinis weren't really about metal as much as real range and versatility.
dspellman

The smallest amp I've ever seiously considered for myself was 30w, and I don't gig.